Previous   Next

Is Xavier Henry a ‘one and done’ player?

Asked at Wayne and Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 Iowa on March 13, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think since he has a taste of college and he’s seen all the good-looking women in Kansas … I don’t think he’s going to leave. Plus, he’s the hottest guy on the team.”

“No, he’s not. He needs more experience, and he needs to get bulked up and ready for another year.”

“I thought so when I first heard about him. … I think he’s very good, but I think that the hype was a little above what he actually is, so now I’m undecided.”

“I do not believe so because I think he needs to show a little bit more.”

Comments

demonfury 4 years, 1 month ago

His dad is a smart man when it comes to all things basketball. X's leaving will depend on his overall performance in the big dance. If he tears it up and we win our region, he's likely to bolt to the NBA. If we bow out early (Bradley, Belmont, etc) he may not have much choice but to stay to try and secure one of the coveted top 13 picks. I don't think he's proven himself to be top 13 material yet. I do believe that he is top 13 material, but I also think that at this point, his overall value to a drafting team will depend greatly on his performance in the dance. Either way, barring injury (like Brandon Rush) he's done at KU in a years time at most.

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

Mahatma, as in gone-di. Unlike the NFL, the NBA will draft on potential rather than on actual production. This time next year he's making like $200,000/week. I wouldn't turn it down either.

garyr 4 years, 1 month ago

Not sure about basketball, but I know he is with the ladies.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Sherron Collins is the best guard since Darnell Valentine. Beyond that actually. I have never seen a player of his caliber also be the team's greatest motivator. If that guy doesn't make it as a player in the NBA, I predict he will be one the greatest coaches of all time. BTW, what's Carl Henry's problem? They showed several shots of him. Everyone aroung him was up cheering while he just sat in his seat pouting. They also showed some clips from the '70's when he had woman's hair. Not cool, ever.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh, I get it. This has something to do with "The Needle and the Damage Done", by Neil Young, a pale Bob Dylan impersonator.

Scruggsy 4 years, 1 month ago

Without Collins and (probably) Aldrich, he would be the man next year. He could play his way into a top 5 pick with a little more consistency. Using bankboy's numbers, it would be a smart move to stay... But the NBA labor agreement expiring might be playing into these kids decisions too...

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

I just waked and baked. What's a one and done?

bankboy119 4 years, 1 month ago

Merrill, seriously? Go troll relevant threads, spambot.

Lab, ESPN talked about it after our last K-State game that it may actually serve Henry better contract wise to wait until next year. If they have a lockout mid-contract he may be hurt more. Also, if there is a lockout and he can't get guaranteed money next year maybe he comes back to KU one more year;)

Next UCLA dynasty anybody?

labmonkey 4 years, 1 month ago

Please remove Merrill's attempt to thread hijack.

His stock would be better in a year, but with a possible lockout in 2011, it might be better for him to try to get a contract this year.

bankboy119 4 years, 1 month ago

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010mock_draft updated 3/10

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2010/ updated 3/13

http://walterfootball.com/nbadraft2010mock.php updated 2/25

http://www.mynbadraft.com/2010-NBA-Mock-Draft updated 3/5

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2010/mockdraft goes through scenarios

I "played" it 10 times and didn't get Henry in the top 14 (so out of the lottery). Truth be told I may have just not gotten one of the "right" 2184 scenarios it goes through.

I think it's going to depend on his performance through the tournament and if NBA teams raise his draft stock because of it. If he had played like he has been recently all year he would definitely be gone. Unless he gets guarantees about being a lottery from teams I can see him being back.

As per Cole....the lowest on any of the boards I posted above is 9 and as high as 6. I don't believe he will stay.

cheeseburger 4 years, 1 month ago

Why do what to a rising young star, merrill? In case you hadn't gotten the message, people are tired of your incessant cutting-and-pasting, especially when it is irrelevant to the subject. Those lawnmower fumes must really be getting to you, Richard!

cheeseburger 4 years, 1 month ago

I believe his stock value would increase in the future with another year here. He's been up-down-up this year, and another year would likely help with consistency.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 1 month ago

prospector 4 years, 1 month ago

I doubt it, but what do I know. It would be better to ask his dad.

parrothead8 4 years, 1 month ago

I thought he would be when he first came here, but now I question how wise it would be for him to leave after one year. He has progressed so much in one year at KU. One more year of seasoning, and a little bit of bulking up, could make him a #1 overall pick instead of just a "probable lottery pick."

Bill Lee 4 years, 1 month ago

Is the Journal World aware that there is more than one sports bar in Lawrence? It seems that these questions are asked in the same locations all of the time (Wayne & Larry's, Hy-Vee, etc.). Why not visit some of the other locations in town? There are many high traffic places in Lawrence.

Daniel Speicher 4 years, 1 month ago

I wish I had the same faith in Xavier that Carrie, Sandy, Kara and Anthony have. But, the bottom line is... He could easily be a lottery pick this year and I have a feeling he's going to take that opportunity and run with it. I'd like to see both him and Aldrich return. That would make for a great 2011 season! I believe we'll still be good next year, but Mario Little is going to really need to step it up if those guys take off for the pros.

--Danny