Previous   Next

Should there be a center turn lane on Iowa Street between Harvard Road and University Drive?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on March 10, 2010

Browse the archives

“I definitely think we need more turning lanes in Lawrence to move traffic around.”

“Absolutely, it’s a menace and a safety hazard.”

“Yes, I think there should be to make it easier to get to that neighborhood.”

“Because of all the traffic, I think there probably needs to be (one).”

Comments

persevering_gal 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes!! While we're at it, fix the potholes over in that area...and not with that cheap gravel/sand crap. They last no longer than a week or two!

fully_baked 4 years, 1 month ago

The Commission didn't "cave" to the neighborhood the last time this idea was put forth, they just sided with common sense and made the better decision. Putting a left turn lane there reduces one safety risk (car-car accidents on Iowa) but increases another (car-pedestrian accidents on University and Stratford). Those streets have and will continue to have tons of foot traffic on them and crossing them, throughout the day, and night, because of their proximity to campus. Those pedestrians aren't any better at walking safely than Iowa Street drivers are at driving safely, all of them -- walkers and drivers -- are distracted by their cell phones most of the time. Drivers, though, have some protection from serious injury provided by their cars. Reducing the car-car safety risk on Iowa can be achieved by other measures that would not increase the pedestrian risk on those streets, such as by the ways suggested above, like closing the entrances to those streets from Iowa, or, prohibiting left turns onto those streets during most hours of the day. That is why the Commission passed on the left-turn lane idea the last time, and I suspect that it will do so again this time.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm confused. I decided to watch some basketball today. How come there are only 12 teams in March Madness? Isn't it suppoesed to be like, 64? Must be the economy. What a gyp.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

They should tear down the Merc and build an overpass from 9th to Harvard.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Man, I got into one hell of a mess there. The cops were chasing me one night and I pulled a quick left onto University. I did the tokyo drift and ended up heading for that water tower. The gas pedal on my tricked out Camry got stuck so boom! right into the water tower. Man, that thing must hold at least 100 gallons of water. The cops pulled a Rodney King on me, but nobody filmed it. The 2 smartest things I've ever done: 1. Run from the cops. 2. Try and fight the cops.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 1 month ago

close the entrances to every street between Harvard and 15th Or as some have suggested, no left turns into those streets.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

No. They should just close University and Harvard.

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 1 month ago

First, we should make sure that the use of center turn lanes is covered in drivers ed and the continuing tests. I can't believe how many people I see who don't know how to use a turn lane slamming on their brakes before they decide to get into the turn lane. Or waiting for traffic to clear from both directions instead of using it for a halfway run to the other side.

Didn't they ever play Frogger?

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

There should be a center turn lane on my biscuit.

ahimsa 4 years, 1 month ago

Between Harvard Road and 9th Street is the real problem. There are way too many exits onto Iowa St from the businesses. Since the Merc has been there and the T stops added, it has become more and more dangerous for the increasing number of pedestrians in the area. Do we have to wait for someone to be killed?

consumer1 4 years, 1 month ago

I think we should have toll booths on every road leading to campus. Or the people who need to go there could by a semester pass. Think of the income that could produce for repairing our roads.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 1 month ago

Is it ironic that the birthday of Chuck Norris and the International Day of Awesomeness fall on the same day?

sassykansan 4 years, 1 month ago

We need a turn light on 6th and Iowa. I always get stuck there.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 1 month ago

Light rail, that is the answer. Generally, however, I think it is best to avoid Iowa St. like the plague .

LogicMan 4 years, 1 month ago

Definitely, but it's too bad folk will loose more of their already tiny front yards especially on the east side. Maybe every third house needs to be bought out and removed to provide the surviving two neighbors with side yards, and with consolidated driveways (curbcuts)/turn-arounds (so they don't have to back out onto Iowa).

imagold 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes, there should be a turn lane in that area. And also, no left turns onto Iowa from any intersection without a light. Or at least during the rush hours.

cheeseburger 4 years, 1 month ago

It should have happened years ago when the matter first came up, but the commission at that time cast safety aside and instead caved to the whims of a few vocal opponents in the neighborhood. It sounds like this commission might take a closer look at the safety aspect of the issue this time, as they should.

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

^^^ Like what you've done with your hair Multi

;-)

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 1 month ago

Now that the Stratford Gang and assorted friends have all grown up and moved away, it shouldn't be necessary. ;)

Spacehog, this one's for you. http://www2.ljworld.com/weblogs/multidisciplinary/2009/oct/13/in-my-pants-come-join-the-fun/#c1175910