Previous   Next

Should the city install a few 15-minute parking meters downtown?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 9, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, that would be awesome. You got to run a quick errand, that just makes it easier.”

“Because I work downtown, I like the long meters. It’s more time for people to get things done.”

“I think it’s unnecessary. If anything, we need to find more places to park cars, but not in the parking garages.”

“I would be all for that, especially for the video business. People dropping their movies off would appreciate something like that.”

Related story

Comments

Bill Lee 4 years, 9 months ago

Great idea if they're clearly marked so motorists can tell which ones they are.

George_Braziller 4 years, 9 months ago

Huh?

“I think it’s unnecessary. If anything, we need to find more places to park cars, but not in the parking garages.”

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

Bring 'em on! There are plenty of places I can get a nice meal or a cold beer without paying to park anyway, so line the streets with them! Then ask yourselves why business has slumped even more downtown.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 9 months ago

salina did away w/ parking meters a long time ago... then again, our downtown area kind of sucks.

remember_username 4 years, 9 months ago

What are they going to do to monitor a 15 min meter, station a meter maid in front of it? If I was doing an errand in less than 15 min I could simply park, get out and look around for the meter maid, then go do my business if he/she is not nearby. I think it's a dumb idea. If you want to encourage people to vacate spots in a timely fashion or raise collections, just raise the fine.

50YearResident 4 years, 9 months ago

Ok, lets get these Downtown merchants and do a test. Put a temp "no parking" on 16 meters, four in each block and tell the merchants they can park at any of these meters while running the test Start the merchants out at city hall with a different challenge for each merchant. Have a predetermined goal for each, like pick up a food order, go to the ATM and make a transaction, run to any store to buy any item, pay a bill, everyday things that shoppers might want to accomplish quickly. Have a volenteer at each meter with a 15 min stop watch and as soon as the merchant tester exits his car and taps the meter the time begins with the stop watch. At the end of 15 minutes the test will be graded. Did the merchant complete his/her assignment within the 15 min and make it back to the car and exit the space. If 80 to 100 % complete the test then do the meter change. If 50% or more fail then scrap this idea.

letsgetwise 4 years, 9 months ago

What's the minimum for the parking meters now?

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 9 months ago

They should put number pads on meters so you can just punch in the minutes you need. You will be able to buy a card that you swish though the meter to pay for it. You will also have a remote device that alerts you if your time is about to expire and lets you put more minutes in. Trust me, when you have degenerative joint disease and tendinitis in your Achilles tendon it can feel like your legs are going to fall off.

Marc Mondi 4 years, 9 months ago

Up here in Des Moines we have some free 15 min. meters downtown, but you do have to hit a button to activate the timer. I don't travel downtown Des Moines much, but I have utilized a couple of these meters a time or two when I wanted to run in somewhere to grab some lunch to go. These would be a nice addition to downtown Lawrence... maybe designate 2 of the 4 parking meters on Mass St. closest to the intersections as 15 min. meters???

George_Braziller 4 years, 9 months ago

Uhhhhhh, Leslie / Irish there already is something that doesn't require a "remote device" or a "numbers pad." It's called a handicapped parking tag or a hang-tag. If you have one you can park at any meter and don't have to feed it.