Previous   Next

Have you ever had a vanity license plate?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets on March 7, 2010

Browse the archives

“No. … I’m not quite that vain, but I think I care more about the money.”

“Yes, I have, RHP 1965: my initials and the year I was born.”

“No, but I liked my grandpa’s novelty tag that I kept on my car. … It said ‘Hot Damn, Here I Am.’”

“No, I have veteran tags.”

Related story

Comments

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

I only have one condition under which I'd actually get a personalized plate. I would have to get a Volkswagon Beetle. Then I would have to paint it black, and then have orange flames painted along the front end. Then I would get a plate that said "Firebug."

Otherwise, no.

OonlyBonly 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, but I also lost it. I've another ordered though.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

No, but I thought about changing my name to "681 YTS".

M. Lindeman 4 years, 5 months ago

Yep, for about 13 years don't ask me why but for about 45 bucks every what 4 years. I figure what the hell I will spend that much on things far more silly.

Boosh 4 years, 5 months ago

A better OTS question would be what is the best vanity plate you've seen.

My vote

"TAINT"

Newell_Post 4 years, 5 months ago

No, but I thought about getting: URYY4ME

gccs14r 4 years, 5 months ago

labmonkey 4 years, 5 months ago

BOOSH-

What... Bill Simmons suggestion to replace the term "pick six" in football?

gccs-

I knew an old church lady who was REALLY religious, but got stuck with (I forget the first three letters) 666.

average 4 years, 5 months ago

A ham radio plate is distinctive enough for me. Makes it clear that I'm a geek.

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

The best one I've ever seen was when I was driving the bus for MV. Came up behind a mini van that had a tag that said GRUMPY. Looked in the window and there was a 50 year olf man and woman in the two front seats, both with identical expressions. >:(

Laughed my butt off at that.

classclown 4 years, 5 months ago

Nope. Never felt I needed to express or describe myself through a license plate. Or a car. Though I can imagine one person here getting one that says INMYPNTS.

mae 4 years, 5 months ago

i've had getnbsy and slow mo on a fast and slow car.

the absolute best i ever saw was a jeep full of girls with 4X4PLAY on it.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 5 months ago

The best non-personalized plate I ever saw was my step dad's PNS 069 plate.

Phase 4 years, 5 months ago

I hate to put this out before I apply for a tag ----- but, RXSXNRR ---- If you understand it you really were there for the sixties.

classclown 4 years, 5 months ago

Phase shouldn't it be sxrxnrr instead?

notajayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Pywacket (anonymous) says…

"Spacehog wins a golden Edsel statuette for "Most Appropriate" pairing of tag to vehicle."

I once saw ATTILA on a VW Beetle (one of the old ones). That may be the other end of the spectrum.

(I hate when the LJW has multiple stories on the same topic, but as much as I hate cross-posting, here's a story I posted to the other thread:)

I had a high school teacher (I lived in another state then) who had to fight the DMV to get his vanity plates. He wanted his first initial and last name, but the department has a list of objectionable terms, including some phonetics, that they won't allow.

His name was Paul Hart.

sustainabilitysister 4 years, 5 months ago

I saw a veterinarian's car at the VSEC clinic whose license displayed 'NUTRM' Loved it!

parrothead8 4 years, 5 months ago

gccs14r (anonymous) says… My favorite non-personalized tag of all time is the Florida plate A55 RGY. Do a search for it.

I don't need to. I know what Florida's plate looks like, and that is hilarious.

Best one I've ever seen was on a sweet looking gold Corvette that read, "FLYINLO."