Previous   Next

Have you ever had a vanity license plate?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets on March 7, 2010

Browse the archives

“No. … I’m not quite that vain, but I think I care more about the money.”

“Yes, I have, RHP 1965: my initials and the year I was born.”

“No, but I liked my grandpa’s novelty tag that I kept on my car. … It said ‘Hot Damn, Here I Am.’”

“No, I have veteran tags.”

Related story

Comments

Pywacket 4 years, 1 month ago

Oops, got the envelopes mixed up. Correction:

Best Ending in a Romantic Comedy-----gccs14r

Best Adventure/Suspense Feature----parrothead8

Pywacket 4 years, 1 month ago

Classclown~ maybe Phase started out with the rx because....he had already started with the rx.

Good one, at any rate, Phase.

More Golden Edsel statuettes are in order for.....

Best Soundtrack------Phase

Best Special Effects (olfactory)-----notajayhawk

Best Special Effects (tactile)------Dejacrew423

Best Animated Musical Drama------Jonas

Best Softcore Feature (with slo-mo and fast-forward special effects)----Mae

Best Technical Editing (surgical strike)------sustainabilitysister

Best Ending in a Romantic Comedy----parrothead8

parrothead8 4 years, 1 month ago

gccs14r (anonymous) says… My favorite non-personalized tag of all time is the Florida plate A55 RGY. Do a search for it.

I don't need to. I know what Florida's plate looks like, and that is hilarious.

Best one I've ever seen was on a sweet looking gold Corvette that read, "FLYINLO."

sustainabilitysister 4 years, 1 month ago

I saw a veterinarian's car at the VSEC clinic whose license displayed 'NUTRM' Loved it!

notajayhawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Pywacket (anonymous) says…

"Spacehog wins a golden Edsel statuette for "Most Appropriate" pairing of tag to vehicle."

I once saw ATTILA on a VW Beetle (one of the old ones). That may be the other end of the spectrum.

(I hate when the LJW has multiple stories on the same topic, but as much as I hate cross-posting, here's a story I posted to the other thread:)

I had a high school teacher (I lived in another state then) who had to fight the DMV to get his vanity plates. He wanted his first initial and last name, but the department has a list of objectionable terms, including some phonetics, that they won't allow.

His name was Paul Hart.

classclown 4 years, 1 month ago

Phase shouldn't it be sxrxnrr instead?

Phase 4 years, 1 month ago

I hate to put this out before I apply for a tag ----- but, RXSXNRR ---- If you understand it you really were there for the sixties.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 1 month ago

The best non-personalized plate I ever saw was my step dad's PNS 069 plate.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 1 month ago

I had one on my '73 Sting-Ray.
Candy apple green, I miss that machine.

That fat slick could lay down a mile rubber when you stomped on the brake.

Took like 6 Raisin Bran box tops to get that license plate

mae 4 years, 1 month ago

i've had getnbsy and slow mo on a fast and slow car.

the absolute best i ever saw was a jeep full of girls with 4X4PLAY on it.

classclown 4 years, 1 month ago

Nope. Never felt I needed to express or describe myself through a license plate. Or a car. Though I can imagine one person here getting one that says INMYPNTS.

Pywacket 4 years, 1 month ago

jonas_opines 4 years, 1 month ago

The best one I've ever seen was when I was driving the bus for MV. Came up behind a mini van that had a tag that said GRUMPY. Looked in the window and there was a 50 year olf man and woman in the two front seats, both with identical expressions. >:(

Laughed my butt off at that.

average 4 years, 1 month ago

A ham radio plate is distinctive enough for me. Makes it clear that I'm a geek.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

I have one on my Aztec. It says FUGLY.

Pywacket 4 years, 1 month ago

Oops. Make that "Caddy." The tag was on a vehicle, not a golf minion. ;-)

Pywacket 4 years, 1 month ago

No, I have better ways to waste $40 or whatever they are now. My husband has one--the name of some defunct band he loved back in the day. I hate driving his car, as, first, the band's name is also a rather old-fashioned term for (something), which just seems dumb (let's just say it's not the image I generally project) and, second, people assume the driver is the money waster.

Boosh~ Good idea. Best personalized tag I ever saw was in Wichita, on a tricked-out caddy with curb feelers, etc. The tag said "2WATS." Having worked at the (Dg Co) treasurer's office, and knowing the straitlaced attitudes of those in Topeka who "yea or nay" personalized tag applications, I've always wondered how that one slipped through. I took a picture of it.

labmonkey 4 years, 1 month ago

BOOSH-

What... Bill Simmons suggestion to replace the term "pick six" in football?

gccs-

I knew an old church lady who was REALLY religious, but got stuck with (I forget the first three letters) 666.

gccs14r 4 years, 1 month ago

Newell_Post 4 years, 1 month ago

No, but I thought about getting: URYY4ME

Boosh 4 years, 1 month ago

A better OTS question would be what is the best vanity plate you've seen.

My vote

"TAINT"

M. Lindeman 4 years, 1 month ago

Yep, for about 13 years don't ask me why but for about 45 bucks every what 4 years. I figure what the hell I will spend that much on things far more silly.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

No, but I thought about changing my name to "681 YTS".

OonlyBonly 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes, but I also lost it. I've another ordered though.

jonas_opines 4 years, 1 month ago

I only have one condition under which I'd actually get a personalized plate. I would have to get a Volkswagon Beetle. Then I would have to paint it black, and then have orange flames painted along the front end. Then I would get a plate that said "Firebug."

Otherwise, no.