Previous   Next

Do you think it is sexist to have awards for best actor and actress instead of one for best performance?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 5, 2010

Browse the archives

“Absolutely not … there is a man and a woman.”

“I like both … they should both be honored.”

“No … I think that what is sexist is that men usually get the better roles.”

“I do not think it is sexist … I can understand how some people would.”

Comments

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey, here is some interesting background from imdb on Chris Cooper, lol. I didn't know all that! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0177933/bio

kappyblu 4 years, 1 month ago

No they should not be split. But there should be an Oscar for Best Performance by an ensemble.

parrothead8 4 years, 1 month ago

Funny thing is...when they started giving out Oscars, the reason they split it into Best Actress and Best Actor is because if they hadn't, a woman would have won Best Performance every year.

Pywacket 4 years, 1 month ago

Multi~ Totally agree. And he's a homegrown boy!

rbwaa~Now, now. Lauren Bacall is still among us. But you're right--very few, male or female, from Hollywood's golden years are left.

Even worse, hardly anyone writes witty, intelligent scripts and dialogue any more--the kind that showcased those superb actresses. Everything has been dumbed down to satisfy the lowest common denominator and draw in the target market: 18-30-year-old males. I don't get it. They are not the ones with the most disposable income--WE are.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 1 month ago

What the ........................

rbwaa 4 years, 1 month ago

All the greats are gone... Katherine Hepburn, Betty Davis, Audrey Hepburn, Joan Crawford, Claudette Colbert, etc...

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 1 month ago

Chris Cooper .. They can't write enough scripts for him. And he acts so easily, as though he gets up in the morning, and says, Okay, I'll go do this and help these guys out with their movie, but when I'm done I'll go back to my real life, this is no big deal. I'm not even sure he 'wants' to be an actor, that's how 'non actor like' he comes across on screen. It's like they just pulled him in to read lines as he walked by. "Hey Chris, can you fill in today?" "Yeah, sure, no problem, I was going to paint the deck but ok, let me finish my coffee."

beatrice 4 years, 1 month ago

"What's wrong with being sexist?"

Did someone actually just write that?

lindseydoyle 4 years, 1 month ago

It is sexist. What's wrong with being sexist? There are differences between the genders. Or didn't you notice.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

I just hope Marlon Brando doesn't win anything. His acting has gotten really gassy.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

I was just kidding. You're one of the kings of the OTS. Never did like jello shots, though. I just had a couple of boilermakers. Feeling much better, mi fratello!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

Best performance by a delicious buttery biscuit starring in a breakfast role.

autie 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh to the contrary mon ami. I look forward to your post daily. You have become part of the pack so to speak. Try some jello shots...that might mellow you out a little...too early in the day for microdot.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Autie, I have the feeling you don't like me. It's okay. Many people don't. Ithink I'll go cozy up to some microdots. This coke is making me paranoid.

SpunKey 4 years, 1 month ago

On second thought.... if there was only one Performer award, it would probably always go the woman (because they are so much sexier to both genders - guys just can't seem to apeal to other guys in mass). So we are actully PC and non-sexist by having two awards!

SpunKey 4 years, 1 month ago

What a silly question! More is always better.

beatrice 4 years, 1 month ago

No, but handing out golden phallic symbols is.

Q: Who's taller, Ryan Seacrest, Sylvester Stalone, or Al pacino?

A: None of the above.

autie 4 years, 1 month ago

Spaced out hog....that kurtis thing was just a stupid wise crack in regard to one of our future Oscar winners...Samantha Ryan. Most everybody have all the dots now.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

True, Pywacket. Every time I see Michael Douglas I feel like I need a shower to get the slimy grease off of me. And Harrison Ford is just a first class a-hole. Problem is, they are both Madonna's great, great grandsons so there will always be favoritism. Personally, I dig older women. Meryl Streep is always top notch. Historically, there have been so many wonderful actresses, but so many are gone now.

Pywacket 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm with Bridgette and A_A~ The real problem is the lack of meaningful roles for women--especially as they age. The old guys like Michael Douglas (bleah) and Harrison Ford (yawn) keep getting good scripts with virile roles, while Hollywood treats women over 40 like sexless grandmas. There are some notable exceptions, but this is the rule, generally, in Lala Land. I hate seeing the Richard Geres of Movieland hitting on young women, who respond adoringly, while older women are stuck with Jack Nicholson. Is that fair, I ask you? Denzel, maybe, but Nicholson?

Everybody get outside this afternoon and sit on that riverside or FreeState porch, or whatever your favorite warm-weather-enjoying vantage point might be... S'posed to rain a lot over the next few days. I'ma go dig in the dirt.

CWGOKU 4 years, 1 month ago

Did the sixth grader get served a beer after they asked her the question?

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm still thinking Pacino is about 4'11", maybe 5'5" with his hair poofed up. No biggie. Prince is seriously 4'11", and the ladies dig him, or so he says.

ms_canada 4 years, 1 month ago

One vote for one award for best actor is that it might cut down on the length of the whole friggin show.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

Best hologram in a supporting role?

ms_canada 4 years, 1 month ago

Who had the more prominent role: Rhett or Scarlett?

denak 4 years, 1 month ago

To answer the really important questions first:

Sylvester Stallone is the tallest at 5'10, Ryan Seacreast is somewhere in the middle(he won't give out his real height but it is reportedly between 5'7 and 5'9) and then Al Pacino at 5'7.

As for the AVNs, with Jenna Jameson retired now, I guess one can say the field is wide open.

Dena

P.S. As for the Oscars, keep it Best Actor and Best Actress.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Autie, who's Kurtis? Kurtis Blow? I wondered why I haven't heard any of his ghetto rap stuff in a while.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Boy, you all have got it right. It's so nice out I can't believe I fell for a stupid question like that . Fact is, I woke up to an empty vodka bottle. I usually keep one for emergencies in my underwear drawer but I guess I drank that, too. I was in a grouchy, jonesin', panic. Sorry about the psycho rant. My liquor store opened at 9, Marvin was happy to see me and threw in a 6 pack of Guiness Stout. My stomach isn't used to good quality beer, but I'm putting 'em away. I only watch the Oscars to see Ryan Seacrest get puked on.

A better question: Who's taller, Ryan Seacrest, Sylvester Stalone, or Al pacino?

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 1 month ago

"One of life's finer experiences: sitting on the front porch of Free State Brewery on a sunny Friday afternoon sipping a pint (or two or three). "

Yep.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 1 month ago

Is it Friday already? sheesh I've been busy. Sure if nice to NOT smell like Winter outside. Thank you Mother Earth for warming dirt and decaying leaves in the sunshine.

I'll be enjoying a nice cool breeze from the SE as long as cuzin autie nor his dog don't fart on the river today. And don't be waving that bait around too much either, m'kay? That stink bait takes the curl out of my new perm every time.

fabian_zimbabwe 4 years, 1 month ago

More importantly -- and intentionally off topic -- check out the background location of today's "Asked on the Street." One of life's finer experiences: sitting on the front porch of Free State Brewery on a sunny Friday afternoon sipping a pint (or two or three). Too bad I live out of town...sigh.

(Note to self, make a trip to Lawrence this May when the Brinkley's Maibock is available...and pack the growlers for some yummy brew to go. Cheers!)

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

I think it's sexist to ask the question...

Azure_Attitude 4 years, 1 month ago

No, I don't think it's sexist but I agree with Bridgete. Additionally, the more substantial roles are written for men. Even the actresses that generate good box office are paid less than their male counter parts.

BABBOY 4 years, 1 month ago

AVN Awards reference.. Right on Jonas!!!

CWGOKU 4 years, 1 month ago

Put some clothes on the Oscar too. Whatever, what a silly question. Would Alice be Indy's side-kick? Fishing sounds good to me.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 1 month ago

"Fact is, nobody cares one way or the other. And it is going to be really nice out this afternoon so let's just shut it all down and go fishin." Autie

Spoken like a true Patriot!

I may hit the pond. I imagine it is still half frozen over, but I need to get my casting arm back in shape.

BrianR 4 years, 1 month ago

"“No … I think that what is sexist is that men usually get the better roles.”

I agree. I always thought Florence Henderson should have played Indiana Jones.

autie 4 years, 1 month ago

jonas_opines 4 years, 1 month ago

All I want to know is how this would effect the AVN Awards.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Oh Christ, here we go again with the politically correct crap. Some insecure crybaby wants to increase the competition between men and women. Go ahead. More men will win any way, and the women will be shafted out of Oscars. It's bad enough that fewer women refer to themselves as actresses. "Oh, we're all Actors." I guess it'll be up to the Chairperson to decided. Maybe they'll have to go through Human Resources(personnel), and see how the associates(employees) feel. I hope there will be enough fire persons and police persons there in case of emergecies. And the Guest Services Representatives(clerks) at the hotels better make sure no one sneaks in to harass the "Performers", or they will be called in to the People Department(personnel) and offered a carbonated beverage(soda). Hopefully, one of the Performers will be Time magazine's Person of the Year. I'm trying to be to a person about this, but it irks me sideways.