Previous   Next

Do you think it is sexist to have awards for best actor and actress instead of one for best performance?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 5, 2010

Browse the archives

“Absolutely not … there is a man and a woman.”

“I like both … they should both be honored.”

“No … I think that what is sexist is that men usually get the better roles.”

“I do not think it is sexist … I can understand how some people would.”

Comments

jonas_opines 4 years, 9 months ago

All I want to know is how this would effect the AVN Awards.

BrianR 4 years, 9 months ago

"“No … I think that what is sexist is that men usually get the better roles.”

I agree. I always thought Florence Henderson should have played Indiana Jones.

Grundoon Luna 4 years, 9 months ago

No, I don't think it's sexist but I agree with Bridgete. Additionally, the more substantial roles are written for men. Even the actresses that generate good box office are paid less than their male counter parts.

RoeDapple 4 years, 9 months ago

I think it's sexist to ask the question...

fabian_zimbabwe 4 years, 9 months ago

More importantly -- and intentionally off topic -- check out the background location of today's "Asked on the Street." One of life's finer experiences: sitting on the front porch of Free State Brewery on a sunny Friday afternoon sipping a pint (or two or three). Too bad I live out of town...sigh.

(Note to self, make a trip to Lawrence this May when the Brinkley's Maibock is available...and pack the growlers for some yummy brew to go. Cheers!)

denak 4 years, 9 months ago

To answer the really important questions first:

Sylvester Stallone is the tallest at 5'10, Ryan Seacreast is somewhere in the middle(he won't give out his real height but it is reportedly between 5'7 and 5'9) and then Al Pacino at 5'7.

As for the AVNs, with Jenna Jameson retired now, I guess one can say the field is wide open.

Dena

P.S. As for the Oscars, keep it Best Actor and Best Actress.

ms_canada 4 years, 9 months ago

Who had the more prominent role: Rhett or Scarlett?

ms_canada 4 years, 9 months ago

One vote for one award for best actor is that it might cut down on the length of the whole friggin show.

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

No, but handing out golden phallic symbols is.

Q: Who's taller, Ryan Seacrest, Sylvester Stalone, or Al pacino?

A: None of the above.

SpunKey 4 years, 9 months ago

What a silly question! More is always better.

SpunKey 4 years, 9 months ago

On second thought.... if there was only one Performer award, it would probably always go the woman (because they are so much sexier to both genders - guys just can't seem to apeal to other guys in mass). So we are actully PC and non-sexist by having two awards!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 9 months ago

Best performance by a delicious buttery biscuit starring in a breakfast role.

lindseydoyle 4 years, 9 months ago

It is sexist. What's wrong with being sexist? There are differences between the genders. Or didn't you notice.

beatrice 4 years, 9 months ago

"What's wrong with being sexist?"

Did someone actually just write that?

rbwaa 4 years, 9 months ago

All the greats are gone... Katherine Hepburn, Betty Davis, Audrey Hepburn, Joan Crawford, Claudette Colbert, etc...

parrothead8 4 years, 9 months ago

Funny thing is...when they started giving out Oscars, the reason they split it into Best Actress and Best Actor is because if they hadn't, a woman would have won Best Performance every year.

kappyblu 4 years, 9 months ago

No they should not be split. But there should be an Oscar for Best Performance by an ensemble.