Previous   Next

Is this the biggest KU-K-State basketball game ever?

Asked at Asked at Pioneer Ridge Retirement Community, 4851 Harvard Road on March 3, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think it will be, because there is more publicity.”

“Yeah, I’d say so, because K-State is doing better this year.”

“I think so, because of the feuding all these years.”

“It could be to some; it is going to be interesting.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

The biggest game was in 1962 when Godzilla was starting for KU and KSU had Rodan and Gamea.

Sagecasey 4 years, 8 months ago

looza 4 years, 8 months ago

Margie and Helen look like a couple of current K-State cheerleaders! hee hee! Nothing but love people.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

LOL @ autie and snap. where's spacehog? i haven't seen any posts by that fella all week so far.

yeh, its a big one alright. should be good.

ohjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree with Sagecasey. The Elite 8 matchup was the biggest.

The unfortunate part about tonight's matchup, even though it's probably the second biggest KU-K-State basketball game ever, is that I am relegated to watching it on the computer screen on ESPN360.com. How ESPN didn't pick this game up is beyond me. A friend of mine (another KU grad) lives in an area that doesn't have access to ESPN360.com and will have to get through the game through the updates I give him.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

LOL, bob-- i'll wait a while next time before looking for one of his posts.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Sagecasey (anonymous) says... Biggest KU-KState game was in the 1988 NCAA tournament, elite 8 matchup, Mitch Richmond and Danny Manning. ===================================================== Exactly. End of story.

labmonkey 4 years, 8 months ago

Here's hoping KU wins tonight, K-State wins the Big 12 tourney, they both get 1 seeds, and meet again sometime in the Final 4. That would be a great day for the state of Kansas.

labmonkey 4 years, 8 months ago

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

eff that, lab! i don't want those purple freaks to get a 1 seed.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

I keep hearing everyone picking KSU to win. Why? Can someone give me 3 reasons why KSU can win this game?

Shane Garrett 4 years, 8 months ago

Three reasons why KUS can win tonights game.

1 Because anything is possible.

2. KSU has great outside shooting.

3 KSU has a good rebounding team.

2002 4 years, 8 months ago

Are you kidding with this question. First thing, 1988 was a pretty interesting year. But there are more. Besides, every game with KSU is the biggest.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

a few thoughts Bruce has about the game... Bruce thinks the teams are pretty equal as far as the way they are playing right now. Bruce thinks Senior night will effect the game.Bruce also thinks Keegan makes a good point that this will be Cole's last home game. Martin will get a technical. The crowd will deliver a huge punch in the mouth from the opening tip. The key to a KU victory will be not letting KSU shoot the three. Even playing TERRIBLE against OSU, had KU shut down the 3, they would have won. Bruce has heard that Frank promised his team Taco Bell if they win. Bruce says rock chalk!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

KSU had it in their hands last time...they just let it slip through their fingers. I imagine winning in the phog will be a tougher task, but it has happened before...

I'm just excited that both teams are having a great season. I think it's pretty cool that KU, KSU, and MU could finish 1-2-3 in the conference. When's the last time that happened?

Even if KU fans hate KSU and MU, they've got to be happy they're doing well. Many times KU gets accused of dominating a weak conference (a la Memphis?), especially the North. The fact that KSU and MU only brings legitimacy to the North and the Big XII in general.

In other words, KU looks better nationally when these teams play at a high level as well.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

@ Bruce

KU's only weakness (if you could even call it a weakness), is their 3-point defense. They dominate the conference in most defensive statistics, except they're in the middle of the pack in 3-point FG percentage allowed.

This is where the game will be won or lost, IMO.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

the wildcats have no 6th person whereas our bench is probably the deepest in the nation. that, and it being played in allen fieldhouse outweigh mr. walrus' points.

oops, rephrased for re:

honeychild says the wildcats have no 6th person and honeychild thinks that homefield will truly be to the jayhawks' advantage.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

nice to see you out and about... out as in not behind bars anymore, spacehog. we missed you.

and you still owe me 5 dollars.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 8 months ago

1988, both teams are going to the big dance this year no matter what happens tonight.

Shane Garrett 4 years, 8 months ago

IF KSU wins I will change my AVATAR from a dog pissn on a Brownback sign to a power cat for one week only. I can't wait to watch the game and I know there will be an X factor.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

oh wow!! i'm not changing my avatar to anything different. my eyeball speaks volumes.

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

The biggest game since '88. KU wins because Self will have them fully ready. See at KSU, at Texas, Misery. This team loses focus and snoozes -except for 'big' games.

^^^ My garden is 10 dry, sunny days from radishes, taters, peas & spinach going in. I'm jealous of those in baja Douglas county.

BruceWayne 4 years, 8 months ago

Bruce thinks Hog likes Donnie's banana.

ohjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

The_Original_Bob (anonymous) says... "How ESPN didn't pick this game up is beyond me. "

ESPN just can't pick up games.

March 3, 2010 at 9:25 a.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

Poor choice of words on my part. I realize they can't just pick up games, but I guess at the beginning of the season, when they were deciding which Big 12 game to show on ESPN2 tonight, that they decided on Oklahoma State @ A&M over KSU @ KU.

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

I think a lot of folks just presume that they're going to get this game on TV.

They gonna be violins in the streets when they find out different, methinks.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Do you really want to watch it on ESPN? With Bob Knight and Brent Musburger?

jaycat 4 years, 8 months ago

It will be on channel 27 out of t-town I mean google town tonight.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

In Lawrence, it should be on KSNT Channel 8 or KMCI Channel 15 (The Spot). Who's not getting the game on TV?

Mary Darst 4 years, 8 months ago

autie, come on over tonight...Taco soup and beer.....Be there or stomp. I think this a going to be a hell of a game. I have been pacing since I got up......I just can't stand to lose to K-SUCK.....drives me crazy!!!!!So it is always a big deal. I'm in class right now with my best buddy, who is a K-suck fan. He just keeps telling me it's not to get so upset.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

@ charliejohnson

And just what will you be K-sucking on if the Cats win tonight?

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

it'll be on channel 6 here in salina.........

......... oh, i'm the only salinan in this forum?.........

........nevermind........

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

either way.... we're freaks whichever way you want to term it.

i just happen to be in the vast minority of non-conservative, non-republican, non-mccain-bumpersticker-having freaks here. that makes me spayshul.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

i believe the correct spelling is youneek, bob.

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

So, outside of Kansas and the greater KC viewing area, is this game available? I've got friends in CO, CA and MN who say they can't get the telecast.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

tell them to check it online on ESPN360.

AnnaUndercover 4 years, 8 months ago

I am soooo tired but probably working tonight because of this epic game. ::collapses onto couch for nap::

ohjayhawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Unfortunately, ESPN360 is not available in all areas. The local cable provider has to have an agreement with ESPN to allow people with IP addresses in those areas to access it. Luckily, I can, but I know a KU fan in Fargo who won't even get to see it on 360 due to the restriction.

Also, with it being the ESPN2 game, it wouldn't be Mussberger & Knight. It's probably Franklin (who is about the worst play-by-play guy in the game) and someone.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

okay, so what about internet radio? you can access alot of "regular" radio stations via the internet now. all your fargo friend has to do is find out what kansas stations it will be on and he/she can possibly listen to that station online.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

^^^^^^ Hopefully your internet provider carries it. Around here, Sunflower doesn't, but AT&T U-Verse does have access to ESPN 360.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 8 months ago

Mel,

Last year during the tourney, they would not stream the games through the 1320 web site.

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

Two Top 5 teams from the Big 12 and much of the country won't get to see it. Wow, just wow. Don't you get the feeling that if Lew Perkins was the conference commish that this game would've somehow gone national? There are movers, shakers & deal makers and then there is Dan Beebe & his staff, asleep at the wheel in Dallas.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 8 months ago

we don't want lew perkins in anymore of a position of power than he already is!

riverdrifter 4 years, 8 months ago

I knew those two words would wake things up! Still, when they scheduled OSU & A&M, one of two little words needed to go in there: "unless" or "except".

Insert Lew hatred here.

ralphralph 4 years, 8 months ago

If Mitch Richmond had gone to KU, he would have been their best player since Wilt.