Previous   Next

What is your favorite way to eat tomatoes?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on June 30, 2010

Browse the archives

“Spaghetti sauce.”

“Chopped up on a salad with salt and pepper, maybe some fresh herbs.”

BLT or on a burger.”

“With onions and oil and vinegar on them.”

Comments

Finnbar1 3 years, 9 months ago

Ain't nothin' in the world that I like better Than bacon & lettuce & homegrown tomatoes Up in the mornin' out in the garden

Get you a ripe one don't get a hard one Plant em in the spring eatem in the summer All winter with out `em's a culinary bummer I forget all about the sweatin' & diggin' Everytime I go out & pick me a big one

Homegrown tomatoes homegrown tomatoes What'd life be without homegrown tomatoes Only two things that money can't buy That's true love & homegrown tomatoes -Guy Clark

Not that I agree with this song--tomatoes in any form except ketchup / catsup I despise with the burning intensity of a thousand white hot suns.

Kris_H 3 years, 9 months ago

Slice of tomato, slice of fresh mozarella (the real kind), repeat as desired. Chiffonade of freshly picked basil leaves strewn over. Drizzle of olive oil. Tiny bit of salt & pepper, if you like. A glass of a nice Chardonnay and someone else to cook the rest of the meal for you. :)

matahari 3 years, 9 months ago

Free, or better yet....stolen

Machiavelli_mania 3 years, 9 months ago

Fresh from the garden, just the tomato, and nothing else.

bobberboy 3 years, 9 months ago

sliced with freashly ground pepper and sea salt.

LoveThsLife 3 years, 9 months ago

On a nice grilled pizza with chopped basil, minced garlic, olive oil and some kosher salt...yum.

riverdrifter 3 years, 9 months ago

In fresh cold salsa with Mamma Socorro's salsa mix. BLT's can't be beat though.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Al Gore's love child is going to get control of the interwebs.

JJE007 3 years, 9 months ago

Right to left. If all is right, then nothing's left. If all is left, then nothing's right.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

No Mike, it's not. It was the Man...not the liberal man..or the con/neo con man....the Man.you know, the guy with all the money that owns the sand box...Let My People Go!!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Obviously the vast left wing conspiracy is responsible for the deletion of jonas's blog.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

You know, coming from 'my' generation..mom made us blt with miracle whip on old brand white bread...like wonder bread..something that was well made, not cheapest kinds. Soft, and you could pick it up without it crumbling. It was what people ate before Homepride wheat, lol. Those were about as close as a person could get to heaven on earth as far as a sandwich...of course, there was leftover thanksgiving turkey breast with miracle whip...and roast beef with miracle whip...but a BLT tops! Who the hell would want to make a club sandwich,,,when they could just have a serious BLT?

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

and what happened to Jonas's blog? WTF mate? That was well written, well structured, and flippin pure humourous.....cause some sissy thought he "misappropriated" a goll danged picture? I declare total BS on this suppressive thought. Speaking for cheese eating surrender monkeys/pinko commies/elitist liberals/consumate fishermen everywhere...this ain't right. ♣free the jonas blog♣

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

All this talk...you would never guess what is cooking in the autie kitchen now......we's be gettin geared up for some BLT's con gin y tonic. Electrolite replenishment and a cool and crisp quinine treat....what summer is all about.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 9 months ago

Solo,with pasta,with fakin bacon,with cheese and wine and last but certainly not least munchin that lovely fruit known as avocado yummmmmmo.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

Tomatoes are okay for this or that...Fried Green Tomatoes..that's pure joy. Any southerner knows, there's always another reason to fry something with some flour, salt and pepper. and this is one of the best. You can't cook them fast enough to keep up with how fast they disappear. You need a few skillets,electric frying pan, lol. The hard part, is waiting for the first tomatoes to get to that stage...the wait is forever! Because you can have 'just one red tomato' and do something with it, like cook a couple of burgers. But you need 'several' green tomatoes, because people are going to want a whole one at least.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

4th of July plans: I've already used some recipes out of the Anarchist Cookbook to make some homemade bombs. I figure the Merc will probably be open on Sun. the 4th, Godless, commie, hippies that they are, so I'll probably chuck a few in there. Towards sundown I'll try and launch my trashcan rocket again. I put an upside down metal trash can over a pile of gun powder and about 4 sticks of dynamite. I always aim for the moon, but the damn thing explodes sideways, usually blowing up a couple of my neighbor's cars. But the Highlight is always sure-fire. At about 10pm I get nekked, slather myself in gun powder and gas, tape roman candles all over myself, and let 'er rip. Believe me, it's a sight to behold. Come one, come all. I'll have plenty of Bartons Vodka, cases of Old Pile, and freshly budded greens.

Pywacket 3 years, 9 months ago

In a fit of wild passion, we roll down a terraced Florentine tomato field, the warm red globes bursting against our skin. We collide with a startled but amiable buxom farm maid who is momentarily swept into our erotic spiral, before we break loose and, dripping seeds and earthy juices, plunge over the brushy embankment toward the waves below.

As we hurtle toward the azure waters, still locked in a lusty clench, we feel the cool breezes rush by and, just before splashing into the warm, lapping waves of the Mediterranean, I take a long, slow lick down his chest, tasting the sun-ripened juice of a thousand perfect tomatoes, seasoned with cliffside wild oregano and lightly salted by my lover's skin.

And that, ladies, is how to enjoy tomatoes.

couranna1 3 years, 9 months ago

cut in quarters with a lot of garlic salt right after they come off the Vine

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

On the fly; highly ripened.

I generally try to catch and down as many as I can, before retreating.

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 9 months ago

I like Roma's on vegan bacon and lettuce sandwiches with the olive oil Miracle Whip. I also make excellent guacamole using those and of course fresh cilantro that I get at Walmart. You do not want to use the powered in guacamole. Not the same taste at all. Durrell say go to Walmart and get some Blue Bunny ice cream on sale and I did. I got the super chunk cookie dough. Perfect desert to follow the greens.

Sarah St. John 3 years, 9 months ago

Roe's first answer is also #1 in my book. Sun-warmed and straight from the garden.

A very close second would be sliced, with some mozzarella and FRESH basil on top.

Or a BLT. Or a BLAT (avocado added).

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

Jonas - Did your blog get disapearedededed?

zikzak 3 years, 9 months ago

Mayonnaise, Bread and sliced Tomatoes with a bit of fresh dill. My mom used to make these on Summer days back in the 70's. Not quite as good as when she made these for me, but they still do fine when the day is hot and the sprinklers is shusshing in the front yard.

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

Not me Jonas.

I can't wait to hear JackFrost's 4th of july plans!

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, it appears that somebody with a grudge against me has attempted to get me into copyright trouble for the cartoon I thoughtlessly used on my blog, going so far as to contact the owners of the cartoon to inform them of it. Yay.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I do like a good $20 organic tomatoe from the Merc once in a while. Ah, yes, with some fresh basil and parsley. I sit at one of those cozy little tables there and read beat poetry out loud. I have quite a following.

gphawk89 3 years, 9 months ago

Cherry tomatoes straight from the vine in the garden. Just ate the first one of the season yesterday morning. Yum!

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Did you pay these people to pose in front of the Merc? Maybe picked them up at Hy-Vee and drove them there? Definitely not Merc-ers. Not one soul patch, beret, or butchy militant womyn in the bunch. Good try.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

And I absolutely can't stand Jimmy Buffet. Is he still alive? I wish he'd eat a poison tomatoe.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Tomatoes definitely don't work. Next time I'll go the empty beer can or toilet paper roll with tinfoil route.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

As a makeshift pipe, I like to drill a hole down thru the top, then a connecting hole thru the side, and smoke weed out of the tomatoe. Wait, I'm thinking of an apple. No wonder my green got so wet last night.

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

As ketchup, smothered over chili cheese fries or as sauce in lasagna. I will eat Summer tomatoes on a BLT or hamburger. Winter tomatoes are too lousy to eat, no flavor.
And Ditto to ANDINI, good comment.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

By passing it to my wife. Tomatoes are Nasty.

But then. . . maybe I should try eating one like Andini and O-Bob. I may see the problem.

ivalueamerica 3 years, 9 months ago

Fried Green Tomatoes, it isn't just a movie, folks, it is also sheer delight to eat.

somedude20 3 years, 9 months ago

ketchup,salsa,sauce not by itself, yuck!

craigers 3 years, 9 months ago

Ketchup cause I don't like chunks of tomatoes!! :)

MacHeath 3 years, 9 months ago

sliced, with a little salt, or vinigar and oil. Mom always peeled them. I like them that way, if I am not too lazy to do it. and with cottage cheese..

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

Ketchup reminds me of the only funny line in "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes". Do you remember the cult movie where tomatoes were eating people? A guy goes underground as one of the tomatoes and they're sitting around eating people, and the guy said "Hey, can someone pass the ketchup."

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

Anyway I can get them, except in ketchup.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

Damn you, Andini. That was my line.

jaywalker 3 years, 9 months ago

BLT, grilled cheese w/ bacon and tomato, or Capresi salad. Yeah, c'mon!

trinity 3 years, 9 months ago

any ol' way-except stewed, that kinda makes me skeeve out.

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

On a BLT. Or homegrown, diced with home grown cucumbers, some red onion, some seasoning, little red wine vinegar.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

I will take a love apple anyway I can get it.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

In its natural state, the tomato is an abomination. Make it into sauce & then it's fit for human consumption.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 9 months ago

Fresh off the vine, sliced, then chilled in the freezer.... Eat, Repeat

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 9 months ago

with salt, while hanging from the vine...

amesn 3 years, 9 months ago

With cottage cheese and a hint of salt and pepper! Yum yum!

Xwards 3 years, 9 months ago

Fresh off the vine with some of my Mother's home-made potato salad.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Like an apple. Fresh from the vine, standing in the middle of the garden, 98 degrees outside, tomato juice dripping off my chin.