Previous   Next

What do you consider some of the worst online manners?

Asked at La Prima Tazza, 638 Mass. on June 28, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think people are having a hard time editing themselves in their comments online, being appropriate.”

“When people act with impunity as an anonymous person.”

“When people act the way they wouldn’t act in person, leaving comments online that they would never say to someone’s face.”

“Shouting, in all capital letters.”

Related story

Comments

4 years, 2 months ago

Spend some time perusing the comment sections after almost any article at ljworld.com and one can really understand what bad online manners are all about.

I'm beginning to think that the anonymity of the Internet turns people into ill mannered clods, or perhaps lots of people are simply rude and angry to begin with and now they have a place where they can simply be themselves.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 2 months ago

Someone explain to me why women can complain that "men fail to put the seat down", yet it is never OK to complain that "women fail to put the seat back up"? Isn't that just a little ego-centric?

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

When I got that complaint I began putting the ring AND the lid down. Then proceeded to complain "women never put the lid down!". Funny. That wasn't right either, but complaints stopped.

deec 4 years, 2 months ago

I've sat in the drink in the wee hours. A rude awakening, to be sure.

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

seat should always be up. women are empowered, let em do what they want with it.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 2 months ago

No No No! The ring and lid should be down before you flush! That way the nasty splashes of the soiled water won't go all over the room! And also that way both the women and men have to do something when they are finished. The lid remains down until the next visitor.

Bill Lee 4 years, 2 months ago

I get very angry with people who post ads for a business in the middle of online discussions. This is especially true when they are for dating services or sex businesses.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 2 months ago

Mouse abuse.... cut and paste,.. cut and paste, .. cut and paste,.. cut and paste,

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 2 months ago

Using commentary on news articles to push political agendas or religious values that have little to do with the article in question, and I feel the worst examples of all are on articles where a death has occurred.
It makes the commenter no better than those who picket funerals, and shows an indecent lack of respect for others.

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 2 months ago

.. and furthermore, being overly judgmental is rude, too. ;)

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

And all idiots like them.. and you.

maxcrabb 4 years, 2 months ago

He ran for president... and won.

4 years, 2 months ago

W stole one election with the help of the Supreme Court, and may have possibly stolen the other one in Ohio. The jury is still out on that one.

I did not know that thievery was worthy of respect.

maxcrabb 4 years, 2 months ago

So, Bush won twice and that means you can't respect Obama for winning once? Seriously, read your comment, my reply, and your reply. The logic does not follow. You are a fool. Thank you for playing.

beatrice 4 years, 2 months ago

People who support their repugnant behavior by claiming others have been repugnant too.

KansasPerson 4 years, 2 months ago

Is the second person the same Carrie Wallace as in the Pig-and-a-baby story?

kernal 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes, indeed. LJW posted her picture on that story as there is/was another Carrie Wallace in Lawrence.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 2 months ago

Yes... and she's at La Prima Tazza! I wonder for whom she "reviews" books.

whats_going_on 4 years, 2 months ago

I would take Merrill's cut n paste over people just being mean to each other and labeling any day, because at least he is trying to contribute to the conversation, rather than just attacking.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

Posting the same set of links 100 times is not contributing to the conversation.

beatrice 4 years, 2 months ago

Snap might be the second worst offender of the cut and paste. Worst than Merrill, he just cuts random stuff just because he thinks it makes Obama look bad. Sore loser.

wmathews 4 years, 2 months ago

On second look, I may have overreacted on that one. I'll do better next time -- still learning.

whats_going_on 4 years, 2 months ago

you know what scares me... it used to be that people (for the most part) would only be rude and mean online because they could be anonymous, but I feel that this attitude has actually started to come out in personal interactions as well. Maybe it's not the internet, I don't know, but people are SO mean to each other nowadays, especially with politics. I won't even bring up politics to people I'm talking to because of the fear of being automatically "labeled" and therefore hated.

kernal 4 years, 2 months ago

Seems like it started with the three major tv networks coverage of the Vietnam war. It was the first war viewed from our living rooms.

maxcrabb 4 years, 2 months ago

Don't tell anyone, but I use my own name!

But don't worry. I moved. (but where!?!?!)

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 2 months ago

The Prima Taza obviously must allow breast feeding.

ontheroadfitness 4 years, 2 months ago

Make it so there are no more anonymous posters! People love hiding behind the digital curtain.

whats_going_on 4 years, 2 months ago

I can see that going both ways.

On one hand, it would probably decrease overall attitude and meanness towards each other.

On the other hand, some people do want to discuss politics or other very controversial matters without having to worry about who they might be offending (EVEN if they aren't saying anything personal). Since people take totally unrelated matters very personally nowadays, it really might hurt someone who is just trying to give a mature opinion.

Kevin Sontag 4 years, 2 months ago

omg, ppl who type like this. i want 2 maim those ppl. r u agreein with me? c u 2morrow lol :)

svenway_park 4 years, 2 months ago

basically what Merrill, Cool, et al. and he who can not be named do everyday.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

Chronic cut'n'past'n. You reading this, Merrill?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 2 months ago

Using cell phone texting abreviations when the writer has both a high school diploma and a full QWERTY keyboard right in front of them. Does not make me LOL.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

It's amazing to me how many forum participants will recompose the same lame pap, day after day, and then complain about copy/paste.

RoeDapple 4 years, 2 months ago

( It's amazing to me how many forum participants will copy/paste the same lame pap, day after day, and then complain about recompense. )

labmonkey 4 years, 2 months ago

Tom, Grammaddy, Merrill, and anyone else who has to turn every commentary political.

jonas_opines 4 years, 2 months ago

Most of these things mentioned bug me, but there's only really one that actually still makes me angry to see it, and that's the Gravedancing. That's just the lowest, classless thing that you can do, as far as I'm concerned. Either of the two types that it fits into:

Political Opponent Dies: We get it, you don't like the other political party. But the only thing that you're proving by degrading them to subhuman status, suggesting that the world is now better off that they're gone, and celebrating their death is that you are broken somewhere inside.

Other Deaths: Frankly, what I see by denigrating the choices, circumstances, or whatever of someone passing, tragically, accidentally, or whatever is just you being terrified of death and thus trying to put as much space between the deceased and you, to prove to yourself that it couldn't happen to you at any minute of any day of any year. Most of us can probably look back and find at least one (dozen) instances where our poor choices could have resulted in our deaths had random outside occurances gone a different direction.

beatrice 4 years, 2 months ago

Well said jonas. Some stories about deaths, especially the non-famous, non-politician types, shouldn't even allow comments.

Kris_H 4 years, 2 months ago

What y'all said here.

It's one of the worst things I've ever seen online, much worse than continually plastering politics all over everything.

Some folks won't learn compassion until it whacks them in the face, and maybe not even then.

c_doc77 4 years, 2 months ago

How about when the Journal-World removes your comment even when there is no violation of the user agreement, and when you send a message to Whitney Mathews to get an explanation she just ignores you?

wah wah

dajudge 4 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, I forgot what the question is.

gsxr600 4 years, 2 months ago

When People Talk Like This In Every Sentence Because It's Cute.

live.laugh.****

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

does anybody really care? Everybody just wants to be popular and pretty, like me. look in your mirror now. Are you average? Good looking? Old & crumbly? I understand these things well. but I am not any of those. I am very handsome and full of charisma. I bring cheer and good times to the LJworld forum. Most people like me, some love me, but all yearn to hop on my bandwagon of beauty and feel the sunshine radiating from my gifted smile. You people are all so much joy, i love you all.
Oh yeah, I am always right when it somes to opinions also.

Katara 4 years, 2 months ago

I thought the sunshine was supposed to be pulsating from your loins?

pagan_idolator 4 years, 2 months ago

Jeez the mental picture on that one made me spew coffee everywhere. I guess his new name is Sunshine Crotch

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

I can't help where the sunshine radiates from, it just comes out of me like a waterfall of flavor, cleansing and refreshing all within its cascade.

I love myself, I look so good. once I saw a mirror, and I thought someone had painted an angel

pagan_idolator 4 years, 2 months ago

What to do with all the pretty men that frequent this forum........

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

Sir MacHeath displays a captivating topper and well pruned lip-caterpillar. He gets to be pretty.

pagan-girl, your rouge locks of seductivity are amazing

I need to go powder, but I'll be back in a few

brujablanco 4 years, 2 months ago

Having nothing to say, but being downright nasty when saying it. Maybe the poster spent too much time swimming in the River.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 2 months ago

With your childish flames from your midnight jug And your boorish manners from your mother’s drugs And your potty mouth and your mood so smug Who among them do you think could resist you?

pace 4 years, 2 months ago

I dislike the rudeness and the prevarication of some onliners, they remind me of typical gossips, They imagine a scenario and make the leap what they have imagined are the facts. Gossips are quick to blame the victim. Sometimes their desire to attack a dead body with vile remarks expose their own hatred more than reflect any information in the story.

beatrice 4 years, 2 months ago

Sending me e-mails asking me to be your Facebook friend! If you knew me that well you would know that I don't do Facebook.

gl0ck0wn3r 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm judging you, Carrie Wallace.

labmonkey 4 years, 2 months ago

I bet she doesn't even read the books she reviews:)

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

Carrie Wallace is LJW's 2010 replacement for Kalila Dalton.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 2 months ago

Fascinating how you claim that you can see inside the dark pit that is Biden's mind.

Kontum1972 4 years, 2 months ago

on-line stoning...and burping

pagan_idolator 4 years, 2 months ago

I just said your name while belching. It rawked!

Newell_Post 4 years, 2 months ago

automated thingies that change all-caps to all lower case when it is not appropriate to do so. ku should be in all caps, for example. also, there are common acronyms such as wysiwyg that should be in call caps. changing those items to all lower case without the permission of the writer is the height of bad manners, imho.

wmathews 4 years, 2 months ago

Agnostick is right. It is a glitch.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 2 months ago

Not so much a glitch or bad code as it is a sledge hammer that does exactly what we've asked it to do — but sometimes has unfortunate consequences. Basically, we don't like to have posters using all caps, which a surprisingly large number of users will do. To counter that, we filter all comments for strings of capitalization. Unfortunately, sometimes that catches things that should be all caps. At the moment, though, the pros outweigh the cons.

jonas_opines 4 years, 2 months ago

It UsEd To Be, ThOuGh, ThAt AlL YoU HaD To Do WaS AlTeRnAtE CaPs. I WoNdEr If ThAt Is StIlL TrUe?

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

Anybody who uses Capt. Morgan and mint in a mojito should be taken out and beaten. 1/2 Lime mulled with sugar. Cane rum to float the rocks.

riverdrifter 4 years, 2 months ago

Sorry. I was thinking Caipirinhas. A better drink: 1/2 lime muddled with 2 tsp sugar. Add 2 oz. Leblon cane rum. Shake well until frozen. Dump the whole thing into an old fashioned glass.

maxcrabb 4 years, 2 months ago

The worst is when I can't get the last word...