Previous   Next

What would you include in a wellness campus for youth?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 27, 2010

Browse the archives

“A lot of little kids like video games, so I know they’d go there if there were video games, or air hockey and stuff like that. It’d keep ’em off the streets.”

“I would like to see some old-school games that kept kids active back in the day, like tetherball and basketball courts and jungle gyms — those things I was on all the time. They kept me active.”

“I think it should have something besides just fitness stuff, something that would make them want to hang out there. I don’t know if that means a pool area, or darts, or something that’s kind of fun without being running. Something a little more low key.”

“Reading-intensive courses, math-intensive courses, something to do with the arts and definitely physical activities, since physical education’s being pulled out of school curriculums.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

I got called away for a couple of days to an emergency meeting of the World Fancy Lemur Congress. Anything interesting happen while I was absent?

Pywacket 3 years, 9 months ago

Rope climbin' and chicken dancin'! Potato sack races and limbo. Jumping jacks, handstands, and games of "statues." For snacks, homemade fruit leather and ice-cold guava nectar.

With card tables set up nearby so the moms can play canasta, drink vodka, nibble canapes, and keep an eye on the darling offspring.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

I'd go to radiohawks camp....and right before they get them strippers, i'd sneak in beer and cigaretters and sells em.

Kyle Neuer 3 years, 9 months ago

No computers, pagers, cell phones, video games... Unplug 'em. No soda pop or other sugary crap.

Then, when they've had a couple of weeks to get over their withdrawl, hit 'em with the strippers and a baby pool-full of creamed corn.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 9 months ago

Military boot camp, lots of it, non-stop.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

The radio makes hideous sounds.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Getting wasted is a terrible thing to mind.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Cigarettes. And good advices. Always remember, the truest friendships are based on drugs.

George Lippencott 3 years, 9 months ago

How about something to not include - no tax money!!!

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Paintball competition, American gladiator games, mixed martial arts. Morning and evening calisthenics. Mountain climbing and survival training. Herbal remedies. Zombie identification technique. Aluminum hat construction. Bunker building. How to take control of a safe house using only the contents of your wallet. The list is endless, so little time.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Thank the Lord for Roundup Ready® tomatoes.

I ♥ Monsanto

whats_going_on 3 years, 9 months ago

Hmmm, it depends, I don't think it should be labeled wellness camp as 1. It might be misconstrued for fat camp and 2. You probably want kids to want to go.

I like the idea of old school games, maybe some cooking classes, archery, crafts, maybe something like 4H camp back in the day (don't know if it's the same now). Maybe camping, canoeing. Then with that you could throw in some wellness based classes etc... Try to teach them how to be healthy and give them an outlet to take that information back to families.

trinity 3 years, 9 months ago

that's funny...3 out of 4 respond with suggestions of things that are fairly sedentary activities. it's probably me, though; i envision a "wellness" camp as something to promote physical fitness-outdoor games, etc, as tyrone said.