Previous   Next

Have you ever attended the Lecompton Territorial Days celebration?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on June 25, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, but I have been to the Lane Museum.”

“No, but I have driven through Lecompton.”

“No, I have not … but I have a grandson coming over this weekend, so I might do something like that. I like Civil War re-enactments, those are cool.”

“No, but I would like to … sounds like fun.”

Comments

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

No, but occasionally I've missed the McDonald street exit and had to take the K-10 exit that at least is entitled "LeCompton." It's happened at least three times.

I might go. Can I bring a cannon?

Shane Garrett 3 years, 9 months ago

Actually there will be no civil war re-enactment. There will be a re-enactment of the wedding of President Eisenhowers parents whom where married in Lacompton. Circa 1870.

Shane Garrett 3 years, 9 months ago

Actually there will be no civil war re-enactment. There will be a re-enactment of the wedding of Presidents Eisenhowers parents whom where married in Lacompton. Circa 1870.

kjo_shorty 3 years, 9 months ago

A band of stadium horns! Genius!

dajudge 3 years, 9 months ago

I have not. But if there will be a vuvuzela band there, I might.

1029 3 years, 9 months ago

I went every year from '63-'88, but I've only been twice since then--1992 and 2004.

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

No I have not attended. I hear Jack Frost wants to hold a re-enactment at the Merc with real guns and bullets.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

Killer Whales. The females are dominate.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

autie, There will come a time when lesbians will no longer have to steal the seed of a drunk/drugged postal worker and inseminate themselves with a turkey baster.

This was postulated long ago, and the idea has a name... Adam's Curse. With the declining sperm count in men and the continual atrophy of the Y chromosome, the male of the human species will become extinct.

It happens all the time in nature. Those buds you smoke... female plant.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Damn you pinkos, all to hell. That's why I only read dirty mags. Actually, both of those mags sound pretty dirty.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

autie, Back when the Atlantic was called the Atlantic Monthly, it may have had that slant, but after Bradley bought it, he and Bennet have steered it to the correct side. Look at the tale of the scale...

.............................................O.................................................. .............↓_..................o.................................................... .............↓..............__o.................................................... .............↓..............................o_..................................... .............↓.................................................._...................... James Fallows...............................................Andrew Sullivan....... Joshua Green.................................................Jeffrey Goldberg....... Marc Ambinder...............................................Megan McArdle....... ----------------------...............................................Clive Crook............. .....................................................................Ross Douthat.......... .....................................................................Daniel Indiviglio........ ....................................................................------------------------....... Pinko Commies......................vs....................Patriots ('Mericans)...

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Huffington Glue? No thanks, I quit doing that. Bad headaches.....

kjo_shorty 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, I have been many times and plan to attend again this year. A lot of fun activities for the kids such as bike, frog & turtle races, relay games, a parade, carnival games & rides, etc... also fun for the adults, especially Saturday when the band plays. There are no banjos in this band. Just good old rock and roll. Not that I have anything against banjos =)

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

Huffington Post? or the Atlantic Monthly.......see, that one guy really does like those thin pancakes, he just acts likes he doesn't.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Happy Eric Carle day! The Children's author with two first names. He wrote and illustrated "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" and "Pancakes, Pancakes!" among others. ("Pancakes, Pancakes!" was about good ol' merican pancakes, the thick and fluffy kind, not those really thin little pancakes, like the readers of the Huffington Post like)

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

Prospector -

Damn. I need an infusion of some craft ale. Tongie, Lecompton. Where is my mind?

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

"I tend to stay away from Tongie"

Surely you can find a route to Lecompton avoiding the kill zone.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

I tend to stay away from Tongie. There are some illegal gun loving rednecks that populate the hills outside of town.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Well I never been to heaven But I've been to Oklahoma Well they tell me I was born there But I really don't remember In Oklahoma, not Arizona What does it matter

BTW, I had no opinion about Gen. McChrystal either way till I read the RS article and found out he orchestrated the Pat Tillman cover-up. What a jerk-off ^&^&^&^*! Put me in charge. I'll get us the hell out of there.

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

I meet Dick Peabody once. He played "Little John" on Combat. He told me they used chocolate syrup for blood because you can't tell the difference when shooting in B&W. I wanted his job when I grew up.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

"no that town scares me...i could hear dueling banjos in the background.....and i left my bow and arrows at home...." Exactly, Kontum! And throw in Perry, McLouth, Oskaloosa, Ozawkie, Eudory, Lane, Ottawa, and any other buttplate, pulp fiction Gimp towns. I would never call you a hippie, but u are definitely hip. And stay away from the Merc, unless you really look like your avatar and want to spend $18 for a head of organic lettuce. I'm hoping they might do a Vietnam re-enactment there, with the hippies inside burning flags and the National Guard in the parking lot launching concussion grenades. Peace.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

were the hippies eating there or working?

Both. There were new age hippies working and my age hippies shopping. My daughter thought it more like a living museum. We did find some good cheeses and I loaded up on shiitakes since I can't get them here anymore.

I like funnel cake.

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

I smell Funnel Cakes! I might get a growler and go.

or not

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

Hippies...?

were the hippies eating there or working?

obtw you know what happened to Custer....kinda like the Mckristol fiasco too big for his stars.

Kontum1972 3 years, 9 months ago

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

nope...I went to the Merc on time though. Did you know that place is full of hippies?

Happy Custer Day boys!!!! A----U---T--I--EEEE!!!!!!!

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Right on, Vince. That's about all L-Town is good for. I'm a stay-at-home drunkard. No more DUI's for me. "I like Civil War re-enactments, those are cool.” Not. Nope. Sorry. All historical re-enactments should be banned just based on the absurdity alone. Or at least use real ammo. 24,000 people died at Antietam. That would be cool.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I met Steve Hawes, center for the Atlanta Hawks, at the World Trade Center in 1980. We went up to the observation deck too. Good thing. Too late now. I also went to the Empire State Building, a ballet at the Lincoln Center, and rode in a taxi with Itzhak Perlman. Next time I go to NY I hope I get to meet Jay-Z. Oh, and I've been to Speedway Shell.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

I used to go, but haven't in many years.

Chris Ogle 3 years, 9 months ago

No, but I have been to the Perry Pub

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

yes. '75 to present. see you there. wear sunscreen.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

No, but I met Rowdy Gaines back in 82.
Boy, that cat was bitter about the Soviets invading Afghanistan and the 1980 Olympics boycott.