Previous   Next

What kind of “green” updates have you made around your house?

Asked at Community Mercantile, 901 Iowa on June 21, 2010

Browse the archives

“An energy-efficient water heater.”

“I do recycling.”

“We’ve done the energy-efficient windows, lowered the temperature on our hot water heater and planted a garden.”

“Installed a water filtration system…and try to use natural, organic products around the house, like shampoo, soap and detergents. ”

Related story

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

cuzin earlbob scrubbed out the green fungus in the beer cooler.we updated the camouflage pattern on all the shotguns to match the F-250.cuzin emma jean dipped the poodle in green food color to celebrate the first day of summer. and we burnt off that 5 acre patch of poison oak on the north pasture. caint git much greener than that!

igby 4 years, 10 months ago

Got rid of those Mercury filled light bulbs, what a waste of money they were.

gphawk89 4 years, 10 months ago

Had a guy out to do an energy audit about a year ago and he found all kinds air leaks. I've sealed and re-insulated the attic and sealed the rim joists in the basement. Also used white sealer on a formerly-black built-up roof over the sunroom - that made an amazing difference. And fixed the blown seal in several windows.

On the other hand, I've hoarded enough incandescent bulbs to keep the house going for the rest of my life. Can't stand those nasty CFL's. Buy incandescents now if you want them later, folks.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 10 months ago

A tip about CFL bulbs... You have to buy the ones that say "daylight" on the package. If you buy the ones that say "soft natural light" or whatever, those are the ones that are horrible. I have about half the bulbs in my apartment replaced- I'm doing it as the incandescents burn out.

I also recycle everything possible and have cut down what goes in the trash by half. I have a compost bin for vegetable material and garden waste. I have a small container garden. (I live in an apartment.)

I never buy bottled water, I use a Brita pitcher for filtered water (as the city water is nasty). I keep the thermostat as cold as possible in the winter and as warm as possible in the summer.

I quit eating factory-farmed meat and only eat local, humanely raised meat. (This cuts down on food miles, as well as generally being somewhat more sustainably done than CAFO operations which are not sustainable at all.) I eat less meat in general. I buy almost all my veggies from the farmer's market in the summer.

I consider carefully before I buy anything so I'm not just loading up on more cheap plastic crap from China.

gccs14r 4 years, 10 months ago

Gak. The daylight bulbs are the blue ones. Those are nasty. The soft white is pretty close to incandescent, which is preferable.

Adrienne Sanders 4 years, 10 months ago

Must be a matter of personal preference... to me the soft white are really yellow, it's horrible.

Jonathan Kealing 4 years, 10 months ago

Word travels fast, huh? Official post coming this afternoon. I'm not going away though, merely shifting some duties around.

RoeDapple 4 years, 10 months ago

Hope Whitney has been following the fun and games . . . wouldn't want to dump your headaches on anybody all at once, JK!

(we'll be gentle, . . . for a while) ;-)

gccs14r 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh, as for green updates, we installed CFLs, a new dual-flush toilet that uses either 3L or 4.8L per flush, and a 1.5gpm shower head. We already had an energy star fridge and an energy- and water-conserving washing machine. I do need to update the windows and work on the attic insulation and ductwork, but those are larger projects.

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

Replacing every lightbulb with cfls as they burn out,hanging sheets and blankets outside on the clothesline to dry and only running the dryer at night so it's not fighting the air conditioner.

c_doc77 4 years, 10 months ago

This is journalism? Predictive programming in the form of presumptive questions? How about try this question next time:

"When did you realize that you were destroying the planet, and what have you been doing about it since you reached that conclusion?"

Or...

"Who do you think would be a worthy recipient of the carbon taxes that you must pay to earn your right to exist on the earth - the World Bank or the United Nations?

Majestic42 4 years, 10 months ago

Careful, you'll wake the hippies. They congregate in Lawrence, ya know.

c_doc77 4 years, 10 months ago

Well I guess that was a bit presumptive of me.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

I took the zuzuvelas away from the lemurs. The racket was making leaves fall off the trees.

dajudge 4 years, 10 months ago

After the bottle of Jack Daniels last nite, I'm feeling pretty green right now.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm getting my consonants all mixed up, make that "vuvuzelas".

Kontum1972 4 years, 10 months ago

tossed incandescent tubes off the Oread -"Hilton" .....nice popping sound..cool

mr_right_wing 4 years, 10 months ago

Instead of buying 20oz bottles of water, I now buy the 1ltr size, so a few less bottles to take up space in the landfill.

I also make sure now that I really fill up my plastic bags at the store (instead of just putting a few items in each.)

Richard's LTE last month kinda got to me...

Richard Heckler 4 years, 10 months ago

Wildscaping = wayyyyyy less mowing and watering

Pull weeds

Using straw for mulch/weed control and some cardboard for weed control

97% HVAC System which has saved significant bucks = using less energy = has paid back.

Biking and walking more and more. Then again it is fun and excellent treatment for my joints.

If we can come up with the dough a battery powered(electric) vehicle would be on the horizon.

mr_right_wing 4 years, 10 months ago

The only thing that would make an 'electric car' a true green reality is nuclear power. Without that, you're just burning more coal or natural gas.

Majestic42 4 years, 10 months ago

Re: the original question: I've decided to continue ignoring so-called "Green" products and save my money. I don't like spending money on scams.

staff04 4 years, 10 months ago

Finally got around to burning that unsightly pile of tires out back.