Previous   Next

Did you have a business when you were a kid?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 19, 2010

Browse the archives

“I sold marshmallow shooters at my mom’s craft show sometimes.”

“Selling crawdads for bubble gum money.”

“I delivered goat milk for a guy in Platte City (Mo.).””

“I once set up my own ‘carnival’ and had my own carnival games. … I charged the kids 5 cents to play the games and had cheap prizes like sandwich cookies.”

Related story

Comments

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

A friend and I would rack up games on the pinball machines at the bus station in the Waynesville, MO, bus station, and we'd sell them at bargain prices to Ft. Leonard Wood soldiers who were coming and going. We'd do this after school and on weekends.

denak 4 years, 5 months ago

wow, you are just a little bundle of joy, aren't you?

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

How did that Kool-Aid stand, without the sugar, work for you?

pace 4 years, 5 months ago

lol, now President Obama is responsible for some fool not having memories of a business when he was a child. That has got to be more wing nut than usual.
A corrupt congress is worse for business and working families than any president. President Obama is just cleaning up what mess he can. Bush inc. left a lot of smelly deals. My guess is many youngsters weren't lucky enough to have a parent who taught a kid how to have a business. I cleaned and sold bricks. made a bundle. Close to a thousand dollars when I was 10. My mom and dad, encouraged, supervised and every once in a while, demanded a cut. I loved it. Don't listen to people that say you shouldn't try opening a business becomes times are hard. If you have a good idea and the right oomph, it is a great time.

ontheroadfitness 4 years, 5 months ago

Started RaySoft Software in 6th grade... original name for a company, I know! lol

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

I had a tinfoil hat kiosk before they became fashionable. Only now, when it is too late are sales picking up. The zombies are beginning to stir . . ., there's still time, but it's running out. From this day on I will barter only, and only to those who have been recommended through previous purchasers. It's not like you weren't warned . . .

<8-)

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

You know, I bet there are some posters here who would like to buy one of those from you to keep the aliens from reading their minds through their TV sets!

grammaddy 4 years, 5 months ago

I used to dig green worms with my Dad in the summer. We sold them to the bait shops and he let me keep whatever we made. Bought my first Schwinn 10-speed with it one summer. Dad just liked to fish.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

1. reclaiming, cleaning and returning pop bottles got 2 cents for short/regular size and a nickel for the biggies.

2. chickens, had three very productive hens (and obliging neighbor's rooster) would raise the chicks to fryer size. ring their necks (where you take the fryer by the head and spin, throw head up on shed), pluck, gut, split and freeze. sold 'em for 25 cents.