Previous   Next

With Nebraska and Colorado leaving the Big 12, should we change the lyrics to the Jayhawk fight song?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 18, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yeah, they should change it. … It won’t be as big because they’re not in the conference anymore.”

“I don’t think so. It’s been tradition for so long.”

“We were still part of the Big 8 once. … It shouldn’t happen, really.”

“Yeah. … If they left us, they should leave our song, too.”

Related story

Comments

sputum 3 years, 10 months ago

It's pathetic how education has taken a back seat to a bunch of babies playing with balls just to see who can get the biggest bag of money dropped at their feet.

labmonkey 3 years, 10 months ago

It could say something about stomping on local, Lawrence businesses... first by moving the Border War to KCMO then bullying joecollege out of business.

JackFrost 3 years, 10 months ago

I guess I'd should be honest. Does anybody really care?

hitme 3 years, 10 months ago

remover reverences to the leaving schools and tweak it to, we're so tough, our teams fight each other...and we fight Lew's corruption.

persevering_gal 3 years, 10 months ago

It's a tradition. I say leave it. No one sings the words other than "I'm a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk" because everyone is so focused on the clapping part anyway!

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

Let it be, yeah, let it be, speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Then they will go and add or delete a team to the Big 12(10), then we will have to change it again. status quo

I still have an old (empty) bottle of the Jayhawk bourbon. Good times they were.

JackFrost 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh my name it is nothin' My age it means less The conference we come from Is called the Midwest Nebraska left early Colorado at their side And the trailer I live in Is a meth lab double-wide Rip his tweakin' head off

JackFrost 3 years, 10 months ago

I'll have to think about it. I like the tweaking idea. I still drink a pre-game quart of Old Jayhawk bourbon from a couple of cases I bought before they banned it, and I tweak pretty hard before every game. Off hand, I guess they could change the title to"Rip His Tweakin' Head Off".

BABBOY 3 years, 10 months ago

I do not know anyone that can match their socks that knows their school's fight song.......

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

Autie has been concerned about the fight song since this whole thing got rolling. I agree, let JackFrost write it.

Jeff Cuttell 3 years, 10 months ago

The Cornhuskers wailed on us most of the time. We only won twice since I was born. They will be at the top of the Big 10/12 soon. Especially since the West of that conf is the weak side. They will probably playing for a conf championship the first year and probably this year in the Big 12/10.

prospector 3 years, 10 months ago

Can't we still husk some corn and make the Cornhuskers wail?

Leave it alone.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

It's gonna be hot out there today..and pretty darn muggy, so be careful....An ice cold, brisk gin and tonic about 3 p.m. may be your only salvation if you break a sweat today. road trip day, later dude.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

I"d leave it to JackFrost to change the lyrics. The only wailing those cornhusker boys will be doing is that as the doormat of that other conference.

independant1 3 years, 10 months ago

rock chok jayhock kay who wooooo

jonas_opines 3 years, 10 months ago

Does our fight song have reference to those two?

I suppose after 13 years here (& holy god I hadn't thought about it but has it been that long?) I should know our fight song. Oh well

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Sure! I propose instead of singing about the competition between sports teams, instead sing about corporate greed, destroying the fan base in favor of bloated salaries and underused sports complexes, and under the table deals! Why pussyfoot around? Sing about what is really important, cutting each others throats while climbing to the top! Hey, while you're at it, throw in a verse about surrounding yourself with lackeys who can take the blame if everything goes in the toilet. Call it,"I knew you when you were nothing,and you still are".

Listen for it to play on late night infomercials soon. Only $9.95 plus shipping and handling fees, taxes due at time of order. Offer void where possibility of investigation may occur.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

Related story: KU fight song lyrics need some tweaking

What does the fight song have to do with using Meth?