Previous   Next

What are you reading this summer?

Asked at Borders Books and Music, 700 N.H. St. on June 17, 2010

Browse the archives

“Books for school.”

“A tour book about San Francisco. … I’m planning to go to San Francisco this summer.”

“Right now, I’ve been reading a lot of book about Mississippi, Oklahoma, Alabama and Louisiana Choctaws.”

“James Patterson’s new book.”

Comments

Finnbar1 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm reading 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' by Shel Silverstein......there's a polar bear in the frigidaire, he likes it's cuz it's cold in there...........

MacHeath 3 years, 10 months ago

Reading Sarah Vowell's "Assassination Vacation" She is a bit of a wacko, but in a good way. Also listening to the first new Devo cd in years! Pretty weird for a guy that has fond remembrances of Barry Goldwater, huh?

Are We Not Men? De-evoution is real.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

The Life and Times of Aleister Crowley The Philosophical Musings of Dr. Winston O'Boogie The Vincent Furnier Story: Go ask Alice ! Runnin With The Devil; Van Halen, the early years.

davidsmom 3 years, 10 months ago

Runner's World. I also have a few books I'm hoping to start on soon.

KansasPerson 3 years, 10 months ago

But is it really the original Waka?

IndusRiver 3 years, 10 months ago

-By the Time I Get to Phoenix -Wichita Lineman -Galveston

Oh this is killin' me - Glen Campbell sang these.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

hang in there, new and improved waka2...you'll get used to it. What could be a better time than to have JackFrost ressurected and waka back from vacation?

Stuart Evans 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm knee deep in Hawaii by Michener.

waka2 3 years, 10 months ago

dude readng is so overratted the only thing i do at the liberry is use there compuders reading is so 1980s get with the now

waka2 3 years, 10 months ago

Blessed4x 3 years, 10 months ago

It's a trip down memory lane right now with Swiss Family Robinson and The Lost World. Sometimes it's good to revisit the books of your youth! Maybe not very mature, but fun nonetheless.

JackFrost 3 years, 10 months ago

Not to be confused with composer Jimmy Webb, who wrote such classics as: -By the Time I Get to Phoenix -Wichita Lineman -Galveston -All I Know However, he must have been on acid when he wrote "MacArthur Park".

somedude20 3 years, 10 months ago

Playboy and Hustler are way too tame. Give me Swank, Cherry or Donkey Punch Weekly

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

Born Fighting. a history of the Scott Irish in America. By Jim Webb.

JackFrost 3 years, 10 months ago

The Anarchist Cookbook. And Fight Club(but don't tell anyone, it's the first rule of Fight Club.)

JackFrost 3 years, 10 months ago

I sure love them Stephen King books. But I like the movie versions better. He really loves those guys from "Wings".

Sarah St. John 3 years, 10 months ago

I recently read that Barbara Pym was one of the most underrated writers of the last century, so I gave some of her books a try. "Jane and Prudence" was fun, but "An Academic Question" was pretty depressing and none of the characters garnered any sympathy from me as the reader.

I'm re-reading "The Hobbit" for the first time in a long time, and then I'm really going to give the Lord of the Rings trilogy a focused try. I've never been able to get into fantasy literature, but I really feel like I'm missing out by never having read these. (Never saw the movies either, so don't spoil the ending for me!)

Oh, and of course, miles and miles of microfilm of the 1970, 1985, and 1910 newspapers for "Old Home Town." :) (I should have favorites... it's not fair to the other years.... but I must admit that I enjoy the 1910 newspaper the most!)

jonas_opines 3 years, 10 months ago

Probably the Economist and several news feeds. After having my nose so close to the thesis grindstone for so long I need to reconnect to what's going on.

I mean sure, I've read the articles and comment here, so at least I have an informed base of knowledge to build upon.

/snrk

75x55 3 years, 10 months ago

Classics - Moby Dick, Don Quixote de la Mancha, Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Lord Jim.

scopi_guy 3 years, 10 months ago

The Encyclopedia of Bad Taste

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

Rereading "Mission of Gravity" by Hal Clement at the moment.

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 10 months ago

The two volume Darwin biography by Janet Brown.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

I am anxiously awaiting publication of the new offering, "Life and Times of Spacehog; a rock and roll, drug an alcohol frolic through life" I see this one going big on the New York TImes best seller list....I guess it just has to get written first.

nathan 3 years, 10 months ago

Getting ready to read Infinite Jest for Infinite Summer (http://infinitesummer.org/index).

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

"Also read "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding on my flight over to Guam.

Currently reading "Robinson Crusoe" - Daniel Dafoe. " Jesse

Did you think your plane was going to crash and you were going to rough it on an island?

edjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Like most Republicans such as Sarah Palin, I don't read.

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 10 months ago

Just finished "One Second After" - William R. Forstchen; a scary read in that what happens in this book could happen to the U.S. any moment. If it does the U.S. will be thrown back into the dark ages and our society could easily collapse. I highly recommend this book.

Also read "Lord of the Flies" by William Golding on my flight over to Guam.

Currently reading "Robinson Crusoe" - Daniel Dafoe.

It's been awhile since I've read the classics (since school) so I'm going back and reading them since now I want to and don't have to. It's a bit more enjoyable that way.

Next up on the list is "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank.

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

Been reading the ingredients on the side of a Bud bottle. I am about finished with Citizen Soldiers by Stephen Ambrose, then I have the latest book in the Agent Pendergast series by Preston/Child to read. I need to go buy the latest Dean Koontz book, I hear it is out now. I read every night before bed. Hello JackFrost

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

Just got finished with the Pat Tillman book. Pretty good and Krakauer managed not to insert himself into the story too much for once.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

Acutally last night I read the Atlantic monthly. I feel so liberally liberated today.

Paul R Getto 3 years, 10 months ago

The Family, by Jeff Sharlet so I can understand Senator Sam's cult and what he may have planned for us. A Country of Strangers, by David K. Shipler about black/white relations. Lee Smith's Mrs. Darcy Meets the Blue-Eyed Stranger, a wonderful collection of short stories in the tradition of Eudora Welty.

grammaddy 3 years, 10 months ago

Whatever the grandkids pick out at the library.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

I ususally just get pre read books and magazines so I don't have to spend so much time with them.

JackFrost 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh, and "Down the Highway: The Life of Bob Dylan" by Howard Sounes, and "Chronicles Vol. 1" by Bob Dylan. I've read them both about 14 times. I've sure been seeing a lot of Bob Dylan avatars! I'm diggin' it.

JackFrost 3 years, 10 months ago

Just the usual. The newspaper, Playboy, and Hustler.

Donnuts 3 years, 10 months ago

an ITT- tech technical guide to electronics. A JCCC theatre book to costume design and "The complete book of Sewing".

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago