Previous   Next

What are you reading this summer?

Asked at Borders Books and Music, 700 N.H. St. on June 17, 2010

Browse the archives

“Books for school.”

“A tour book about San Francisco. … I’m planning to go to San Francisco this summer.”

“Right now, I’ve been reading a lot of book about Mississippi, Oklahoma, Alabama and Louisiana Choctaws.”

“James Patterson’s new book.”

Comments

K_Verses_The_World 6 years, 1 month ago

I can’t feel you anymore I can’t even touch the books you’ve read Every time I crawl past your door I been wishin’ I was somebody else instead

Maddy Griffin 6 years, 1 month ago

Whatever the grandkids pick out at the library.

Paul R Getto 6 years, 1 month ago

The Family, by Jeff Sharlet so I can understand Senator Sam's cult and what he may have planned for us. A Country of Strangers, by David K. Shipler about black/white relations. Lee Smith's Mrs. Darcy Meets the Blue-Eyed Stranger, a wonderful collection of short stories in the tradition of Eudora Welty.

RoeDapple 6 years, 1 month ago

Thanks Jesse! I had heard about then forgot about "One Second After" last year. The wife is running errands today so is picking it up for me.

nathan 6 years, 1 month ago

Getting ready to read Infinite Jest for Infinite Summer (http://infinitesummer.org/index).

Flap Doodle 6 years, 1 month ago

Rereading "Mission of Gravity" by Hal Clement at the moment.

jonas_opines 6 years, 1 month ago

Probably the Economist and several news feeds. After having my nose so close to the thesis grindstone for so long I need to reconnect to what's going on.

I mean sure, I've read the articles and comment here, so at least I have an informed base of knowledge to build upon.

/snrk

Sarah St. John 6 years, 1 month ago

I recently read that Barbara Pym was one of the most underrated writers of the last century, so I gave some of her books a try. "Jane and Prudence" was fun, but "An Academic Question" was pretty depressing and none of the characters garnered any sympathy from me as the reader.

I'm re-reading "The Hobbit" for the first time in a long time, and then I'm really going to give the Lord of the Rings trilogy a focused try. I've never been able to get into fantasy literature, but I really feel like I'm missing out by never having read these. (Never saw the movies either, so don't spoil the ending for me!)

Oh, and of course, miles and miles of microfilm of the 1970, 1985, and 1910 newspapers for "Old Home Town." :) (I should have favorites... it's not fair to the other years.... but I must admit that I enjoy the 1910 newspaper the most!)

Sarah St. John 6 years, 1 month ago

That should have been "I shouldn't have favorites." Sorry. blush*

somedude20 6 years, 1 month ago

Playboy and Hustler are way too tame. Give me Swank, Cherry or Donkey Punch Weekly

Blessed4x 6 years, 1 month ago

It's a trip down memory lane right now with Swiss Family Robinson and The Lost World. Sometimes it's good to revisit the books of your youth! Maybe not very mature, but fun nonetheless.

IndusRiver 6 years, 1 month ago

-By the Time I Get to Phoenix -Wichita Lineman -Galveston

Oh this is killin' me - Glen Campbell sang these.

davidsmom 6 years, 1 month ago

Runner's World. I also have a few books I'm hoping to start on soon.

Sheryl Wiggins 6 years, 1 month ago

MacHeath, have you ever read 'Partly Cloudy Patriot' by Sarah Vowell? I was sitting in an extremely crowded smoking area at the Cincinnati airport when I read that and there's a brief bit about what Lincoln really wanted to say to Meade during a battle of the civil war. I still giggle when I think about it.

Sheryl Wiggins 6 years, 1 month ago

I'm reading 'Where the Sidewalk Ends' by Shel Silverstein......there's a polar bear in the frigidaire, he likes it's cuz it's cold in there...........