Previous   Next

Who is your favorite TV commercial character?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 16, 2010

Browse the archives

“Morris the Cat.”

“I love the Slap Chop guy, the guy that goes ‘martini, linguine, bikini’ … it’s an infomercial.”

“Anybody except the Cavemen.”

“Terry Tate, the office linebacker.”

Comments

jonas_opines 4 years, 7 months ago

Probably still Spuds McKenzie. All the ones out now are more appropriate for a Least Favorite, which would have been a better question.

Geico's "cave"men (who don't live in caves) That Free Credit Report band the rollover minutes family

/thesis done yesterday, birthday today. Yay

independant1 4 years, 7 months ago

all characters in the old "i luv ya man/no you can't have my Bud Lite"

followed by dude who saved the nuclear reactor from meltdown, nope, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. then shoves donut in mouth

independant1 4 years, 7 months ago

Kevin Sontag 4 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Bananagrabber, for Bluth's Original Frozen Bananas.

rocketmom67 4 years, 7 months ago

the Sonic guys and the family for Netflix that want to watch a dope break dancing movie

somedude20 4 years, 7 months ago

Hi there. Are you a large person? Pleasantly plump? A little on the hefty side, perhaps? Well, let's face it: Are you FAT? When you go jogging, do you leave pot-holes? When you make love, do you have to give directions? At the zoo, do the elephants throw YOU peanuts? Do you look at a menu and say 'OK'? Well, now, you can eat all you want, because at Thornton Melon's "Tall & Fat" stores, we've got you covered. That's right. Fine woolen, and woolen-blend suits and sport coats, in all the larger sizes - husky, stout, extra-stout, and the new Hindenburg line. And for you ladies we have caftans, muumuus, and our own exclusive A-frame in all colors and patterns. Yes, we have miles and miles of fabric. So take it from me, Thornton Melon, if you want to look thin, you hang out with fat people.

schula 4 years, 7 months ago

Happy birthday, Jonas! Congrats on finishing your thesis!

Any commercial with Mike Rowe in it

twinetowngirl 4 years, 7 months ago

The office depot guy...WOW!! Thats a low price!! Perfect guy for the job, big bug eyed guy LOL

Chris Ogle 4 years, 7 months ago

independant1 (anonymous) says… The AP Whitehouse reporter who just resigned, isn't she the one who said "Where's the beef!" ================ I am with you independent..... If Helen didn't do "where's the beef", she should have.

Okay, Helen...............final answer

imagold 4 years, 7 months ago

Ret_Irrev - What channel are you watching????

I like the Sonic Guys. Am still waiting for the DQ shrimp commercial this summer. Where's the kids?!?

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

That's it.And Abe Vigoda too! That Hurt. Best line ever.

earline james 4 years, 7 months ago

...and the Diva's (Aretha and Liza) in the hot car. Good times.

thomgreen 4 years, 7 months ago

Sgt. Carolyn Mason from The First 48.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Football Man:

Set me down on a television floor I’ll flip the channel to number four Out of the shower comes a grown-up man With a bottle of hair oil in his hand It’s that greasy kid stuff What I want to know, Mr. Football Man, is What do you do about Willy Mays and Yul Brynner Charles de Gaulle and Robert Louis Stevenson?

kristyj 4 years, 7 months ago

the Old Spice guy who rides the horse backwards

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 7 months ago

Really???

My husband thinks she's hot. I really don't understand the why. She's definitely an attractive lady outside of the commercials....but the character Flo...ugh! Way too perky and her makeup looks almost clownish. Though, I do kinda dig the bumpit hairdo she rocks.

CreatureComforts 4 years, 7 months ago

Flo is the best. And yeah, she's fairly cute.

labmonkey 4 years, 7 months ago

I hate Flo. I am so happy I don't have Progressive anymore so I don't support her.

I loved the old guy on the Coke Zero commercials a few years back who would say "Millard Fillmore was the 13th President!"

earline james 4 years, 7 months ago

I'm not fond of Flo, but (car commercial-wise) Elmer Fudd cracks me up. And the Caveman with the luggage on the crab boat. And the Waltons, taking entirely too long to say good night... Ok, obviously, I need to get out of the house more...

Kontum1972 4 years, 7 months ago

Spanky the Monkey in the new birdsyeye frozen vegetable infomercials

somedude20 4 years, 7 months ago

The Noid was good. I liked the crying Indian (who wasn't a real Indian). Don't forget Bartle and James either. I hate those GD Wilford Brimley diabetes comercials

whats_going_on 4 years, 7 months ago

I HATE FLO. Good god, she's so annoying.

I read somewhere that she was in the Caveman movie (or show?)...irony haha.

whats_going_on 4 years, 7 months ago

and why the heck won't LJW let me type in all caps. That "I hate flo" bit was supposed to be exaggerated and dramatized.

whats_going_on 4 years, 7 months ago

The commercial for Axe from the Super Bowl was pretty funny.

estespark 4 years, 7 months ago

Miller High Life guy.

"$11.50 for a hamburger...y'all must be crazy."

somedude20 4 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I think Mel tagged her (she is a sucker for a "wife beater" with chili stains on it)

riverdrifter 4 years, 7 months ago

Sam Elliott. All you get is his voice though.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 7 months ago

I would gladly trade my soul for the voice of Sam Elliott.

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

The Toys R Us commercial with one hundred plus bunnies singing the Peter Cottontail song. Funny and borderline creepy!

But the all time greatest was Clara Peller, the old woman who said "Where's the beef" in the old Wendy's commercials. She's been dead for some time.

lwhite 4 years, 7 months ago

The Sock Monkey in the Kia Sorento car commercial, that commercial will stop me dead in my tracks when it comes on!

trinity 4 years, 7 months ago

YES!!! i so totally agree&was going to say so, lmaooooo...LOVE the kia sock monkey!

gphawk89 4 years, 7 months ago

Charlie the Tuna. "StarKist doesn't want tuna with good taste, they want tuna that tastes good! Sorry, Charlie."

Poor Charlie...

da2yl2on 4 years, 7 months ago

Um, definitely the Kia Soul hamsters.

trinity 4 years, 7 months ago

it has to be vince schlomi...mentioned in the ots peeps...slapchop dude! :)
second to that, mr. whipple. rocks. ;)

Newell_Post 4 years, 7 months ago

Anybody old enough to remember "Cora" the kindly old lady shopkeeper in the Maxwell House Coffee commercials? She was played by....... . . . . ....... Margret Hamilton a.k.a The Wicked Witch of the West

dajudge 4 years, 7 months ago

The Jolly Green Giant--ho, ho, ho. Or the arm that came up out of the washing machine.

Shane Garrett 4 years, 7 months ago

In the land of sky blue waters! Now those beer commercials were cute with the cartoon bear. Hamms the beer that made Milwaukee great. Or how about... you only go around once in life. I know they are slogans but... you gotta remember. Yeah, the white owl, with that siren singing, let met get right to the point,.... hey big spender, spend a little dime with me. (he, he) ; )

earline james 4 years, 7 months ago

Way back in the day... I once had that Standard, bumbumbumbumbum, Improvment company thing stuck in my head all day. And, saldy, I heard Boots Williams died. Those late night car commercials cracked me up.

puddleglum 4 years, 7 months ago

vince "you're gonna love my nuts" SLAPCHOP & ShamWow

he's the bomb.

hungryhustler 4 years, 7 months ago

Whiplash, the incredible taco johns monkey. I tell ya, that little guy is somthin's else.

trinity 4 years, 7 months ago

the chicks on the gum commercial..."lint licker", "cootie queen"...they are HIlarious!!! i love 'em! Fabulous!

Sagecasey 4 years, 7 months ago

The Hamm's beer bear, land of sky blue waters, and Avoid the Noid for Domino's

somedude20 4 years, 7 months ago

Who was the African American dude that played football in the 70's and was in the Naked Gun movies but did those Avis ads years ago, god, what was his name? Anyway, he killed in those commercials made me want to rent a car

labmonkey 4 years, 7 months ago

I loved the Axe Snake Peel commercial where this skinny dude wakes up, wondering who he slept with. A large female bodybuilder (think 80's American Gladiator) comes in from the next room, slaps him on the behind and says "Helga Happy." That always cracked me up.

4 years, 7 months ago

Keith Stone from the Keystone Light ads

acg 4 years, 7 months ago

I love the Kia sock monkey, too! And Keith Stone from the Keystone commercials. I also like the black guy who confiscates the Miller Lite and I love the guy who does the Beef, It's What's For Dinner voice overs. His voice makes me want a steak every time it comes on. My 19 month old son is enamoured with Flo. He will run from anywhere in the house to watch when her commercials come on. It's too funny. I can't stand the Sonic guys. The one with black hair is less annoying, but the other one makes me want to hit him. The Geico gecko is somewhat amusing but the Cavemen make me highly uncomfortable for some reason.

Marcy McGuffie 4 years, 7 months ago

That post was gone earlier, but it's baaaack!!!

RoeDapple 4 years, 7 months ago

I been catchin' references to 2:32 all afternoon and there wasn't nothin' there! Now I come back and waddyouknow? There 'tis! I'm feelin' a chill of recognition . . .

beatrice 4 years, 7 months ago

Charles Barkley: "Momma, pick up the phone!" He is just a funny guy.

Jay Keffer 4 years, 7 months ago

The singing rodents in the Quiznos ad.

The spot: A small, furry creature, wearing a bowler hat, levitates as he sings an ode to Quiznos subs. Nearby, another flying creature wears an 18th century seafaring hat, and strums on an acoustic guitar. Song lyrics: "We love the subs! 'Cuz they are good to us. The Quiznos subs. They are tasty, they are crunchy, they are warm because they toast them. They got a pepper bar!"

Wild and wacky stuff....

TopJayhawk 4 years, 7 months ago

Alden Slote Banner child for Lawrence's fine educational system. hahahahahahahahahahaha