Previous   Next

What is the most adventurous thing you have ever done?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 13, 2010

Browse the archives

“I ran a couple of marathons. Best time was 2:59:12.”

“I swam across the Potomac River because it was there.”

“I jumped off a cliff into the water in Hawaii. I went feet first instead of head first. It was about a 40-foot cliff.”

“Zip lining in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. It was the world’s fastest zip line, I believe, 75 miles per hour. It was pretty fun.”

Comments

musbhiorlo 3 years, 10 months ago

i rolled a jelly role uphill all the while standing on tippy toes with the pinky toes fully extended

geoismeo 3 years, 10 months ago

My pilot friend let me loop his airplane, and I once accidently rowed myself and three others over the spillway downtown. Everyone was okay,but a bit miffed.

Hydra 3 years, 10 months ago

Passed out on a bus in Athens, Greece in 1970. Woke up in the mountains with a bunch of school kids all around. Taught them some xmas songs before I got back to town.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

Sailed the Atlantic, the Indian ocean and the Mediterranean, while aboard the U.S.S. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

Well I did work for the contras that one summer. Them boys pay up pretty good. Me and my swamper made a ton of money that year. Then there was that one time I got married which didn't work out so gooder...and three years later I got married. again. Least ways it stuck the second time. Which is OK, cause them don't let me go south no more. Something about wearing glasses now.

CreatureComforts 3 years, 10 months ago

Drive 23rd street from Iowa to the edge of town

ShePrecedes 3 years, 10 months ago

Was a groupie for (eh-hem) Air Supply (was with the guys in the band because we didn't do drugs like the road manager hoped we would) and Ratt.

Went salmon fishing out of Port Angeles.

Was involved in a peyote ceremony at a sacred Hopi site (My genetics are white men's).

Went for a moonlight hike in Canyon de Chelly, after a day of a thunderstorms, then avoided being trampled by wild horses, and, just after, narrowly missed a flash flood by one footstep.

geekin_topekan 3 years, 10 months ago

Drove night shift taxi in Topeka, Kansas.

Prairielander 3 years, 10 months ago

Backpacked in the Routt (CO) National Forest for about a week with just my dog. The first humans I saw on my return were a family of Koreans picking a version of wild asparagus that was in season around one of the campgrounds.

1029 3 years, 10 months ago

I made my twelve year-old drive me home one time when I got too drunk at his baseball team's pizza party. Now that he's older, we can laugh about the parked cars he hit and the mailbox that he ran down, but from what I think I can remember, it was pretty scary at the time.

edjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Went on a long hike in the very primitive part of Glacier National Park. Place was crawling with grizzlies and went face-to-face with a wolverine.

LadyJ 3 years, 10 months ago

Married my husband, believe me that was a leap of faith.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

I ate at Borer Bandidos once.

Free the Hog

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 10 months ago

I played in the foam at the bottom of Horsetail Falls in Oregon. Doesn't sound like much until you realize it's coming down about 1k feet off of Mt. Hood. http://www.columbiariverimages.com/Regions/Places/horsetail_falls.html Other than that I acted in a troupe that did Renaissance Festivals and Faires throughout the Midwest. Again, doesn't sound like much except that it was a live steel weapons group and I fought other people with a 5 lb hand a half sword. (That was 30 years ago and I still have the sword). I was in a boat that had a pod of California Gray whales surface next to us not 10 feet away. THAT was exciting.

Clint Church 3 years, 10 months ago

Drive on Lawrence roads while KU is in session.

br549 3 years, 10 months ago

Got to know my girl friends two sisters a little to well.

Reintarnation : Coming back to life as a hillbilly

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow, Spacehog's dream question. Where is he?!

I got nothing at the moment... Need to sober up and think about this one.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

That would definately have to be... manufacturing methamphetamine, on more than one occasion, in the same apartment building in which a Clay co. deputy lived, and never being suspected of anything.

kernal 3 years, 10 months ago

Pink Jeep Tour outside Sedona. They hadn't had any fatal accidents for the six months before, so went for the danger zone tour. Yaaaah!

beatrice 3 years, 10 months ago

I've gone skydiving a few times. Always a blast. The falling is amazing, then once you pull the chord and the chute opens up, you start flying. A truly wonderful experience.

Its been a while. I need to do it again.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

I called the spousal unit "muffin top" once.

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 10 months ago

Spent a week at the Bright Angel Lodge on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. I rode a mule to the bottom of the canyon and took a guided tour of the south rim. There was a group of tourists from several different countries there and over the week we got to know each other. A Spanish nun walked down the Bright Angel Trail and back up. When she came to the top her head was down and she was looking at her feet. I can identify with that, when you are so tired, you really don't want to know how much further you have to go. Then she heard clapping and she looked up and a huge smile lit up her face. "Our" group was there to cheer her on those last few feet and to congratulate her. Trust me, this is not something that most people can do. The cabins were eight dollars a night and one hundred dollars got you a week's lodging, meals and a few souvenirs.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

Spent 4 months on a honeymoon using bicycles,our thumbs, sail boats,AMTRAK and other mass transit when necessary. Yes we sailed from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas then hitched a ride back to San Diego and our bicycles.

A great way to meet lots of nice people.

Traveling without a car = big savings and more fun.

tange 3 years, 10 months ago

Dated a self-mortaring brick wall. Hoo, boy.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 10 months ago

I once took a flying lesson in an ultralight aircraft in the Mojave desert. Aluminum tubing, and fabric wings.

I knew the statistics, but I did it anyway. People who know me and my fear of flying can hardly believe I actually did willingly do that. Never have flown since, not even in a commercial jet.

George_Braziller 3 years, 10 months ago

Backpacked through Europe for two months.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

Slapped a sticker showing the 1st Cav patch onto the bumper of a Soviet tourist bus in East Berlin.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Sorry, the statute of limitations hasn't expired on that one. I could tell you, but then I would have to . . .