Previous   Next

Are you planning to attend the 25th annual Tonganoxie Days this weekend?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and La. on June 10, 2010

Browse the archives

“Probably not because they won’t have free liquor.”

“Nope, I’m not. I’m headed out of town.”

“Yes … it’s always fun to go through to see the different crafts and people. We’ve been to it at least a half-dozen times of more.”

“No … but I would check it out if I were here. I love festivals.”

Related story

Comments

jrswift 3 years, 10 months ago

I have to say that any local "festival" would be immeasurably more entertaining with some of that "free liquor" stuff. Hey, let's just have a "Free (State) Liquor festival" as I'm guessing that would draw a good crowd.

genie220 3 years, 10 months ago

[ I do not go to any of the "quaint little towns" near Lawrence. These places are not like Mayberry. They are creepy. Lots of incest and inbreeding. 100% racist white people. I once had an acquaintance who lived in Eudora about 10 or so years ago. One afternoon a young black kid was going door to door selling encyclopedias ore something. This acquaintance told the kid he would be wise not to be in town after sundown. I no longer acknowledge knowing this person. ]

Wow...honestly. This has to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read. There are racist individuals in (I would bet to say) EVERY city. As far as the incest and inbreeding comment, I'm not even going to waste my time responding. Tongie Days is definitely not the place for "boozing" it up. Its a family event that hundreds of kids, teens, adults, and even seniors enjoy. And, as a resident of this "creepy, quaint" town, I have to say....I'm find comfort in knowing you are NOT a resident, too.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm planning Spacehog Day on June 21, Summer Solstice, The Longest Day, my favorite day of the year. The Feds are thick here in town it seems, so I'll have to divulge the details after they're gone. I will say that I'll be handing out free K2 and Ben Wa, or whatever that stuff is called, to the first 100 people that show up. Stay tuned.

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

LOL Autie! take Mizzery with you.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

I has changed my mind. I'm not going to Randy's or Tongie. I'm going to join the PAC ten and increase my TV revenuers.

Shane Garrett 3 years, 10 months ago

Prairie Lake north of Holton for me n my Cuzins. For some hootin an hollerin.

Here is the lineup of bluegrass, old-time, Americana and country folk bands slated to perform:

THURSDAY

•5 p.m.: The Bonjour Brothers •6 p.m.: The Jackson County Pickers •7 p.m.: The Boiler Room Boys •8 p.m.: Down the Road

FRIDAY

•5 p.m.: Diane Gillenwater & Students •6 p.m.: The Shyster Mountain Gang •7 p.m.: Flint Hills Express •8 p.m.: The Ready Brothers •9 p.m.: Dara & The Noxie Ridge Band

SATURDAY

•5 p.m.: The Pipe Creek Bluegrass Band •6 p.m.: Misty Mountain Revival •7 p.m.: The Hootin' Annies •8 p.m.: Gary Bell & The Kuglin Bros. •9 p.m.: Pastense

Deja Coffin 3 years, 10 months ago

We actually might go.... if the weather isn't too humid. My girls love the kiddie rides!Thankfully my husband is the one that gets stuck riding with them.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

spacehog days? I'll bet there is drinkin and fatty fried things to eat and cool rock music. Almost sounds like Neewollah.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 10 months ago

Anyone going to Saturday’s Symphony in the Flint Hills in Chase County? You can keep busy all weekend long with the 12th Annual FlintHills Folklife Festival in Cottonwood Falls. For those familiar..Capt Drinkwater's just changed hands I see..it's now Chelie's. You may want to get on your bikes and head down..or maybe not. No idea, but it's a good excuse for a ride, right? For those in need of a smaller crowd, head on down to Matfield Green, stop in at the bar for lunch or dinner. It's really more like the local's restaurant..since it's the only one there. You can't miss it, take the marked exit. XD Oh, if you eat in Strong City at the Longhorn Cafe..do not order the 'home fries'. Those will not be what you expect. Nor will you like them. Soggy fresh cut thin fries, no crisp too them, soaked in grease, limp as spaghetti, cooked just long enough to be brown, but not cooked enough to be..anything but grease. God awful nasty artery clogging slime sponges. The other things I've had are good. I have no idea why they think those fries are acceptable, but oddly, the locals I asked about them say, 'Oh, it's because they are fresh cut' like that's reasonable and their a good thing. (but they almost/sorta mention they used to be better) Heck, I've cooked fresh cut and they don't turn out like that goo. To each their own.

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

No I am not going, I am going to watch butter melt...

I'll go to Spacehog Days, if someone will tell me where it is being held.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

kind of a fer piece down the road for a beer and a burger ain't it? Mo be clean out past Salina.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

"Tonganoxie days...?....stop it. "

Stop Tongi days? Are you mad?

prospector 3 years, 10 months ago

Nobody makes beer in Tongie.

I am going to the Mo's Place in Beaver.

Can't get enough Beaver Beer!

Mister 3 years, 10 months ago

Tonganoxie days...?....stop it.

somedude20 3 years, 10 months ago

I am sure the town of Tonganoxie can muster up a few cans of Camo for ya Randy if you would be so kind as to grace them with your presence

Randy Lynn for mayor!!

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

No, I'm not going to Tongie for a party. I'm going over to Randy's. Space, you coming?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

"“Probably not because they won’t have free liquor.”

— Randy Lynn, handyman, Lawrence"

Best OTS answer ever. Tongi, get yo chit together.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Once, in HS, after a football game I think, I ended up alone in a car with some gal from Perry-Lecompton. She kept looking at me like I was a rock star. Every time she tried to kiss me I had to grab the radio knob and act like I was changing stations, just to divert her advances. She also asked me if I like moon pies and parkin' on the ridge. I had no idea what that meant but it scared the hell out of me.

Bill Lee 3 years, 10 months ago

Spacehot, we have a-holes like that in Lawrence, too. I have been to Tonganoxie Days in the past, but not for a long time. I'm going to be enjoying my high school reunion in Neodesha this weekend, though, so I can't make it this year.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

Way to go, Uncle Randy! Dude, you know the liquor is free at my house. Just don't set the kitchen on fire again.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

FYI, I am not going to the Lebowski Party at the Granada tonight.