Previous   Next

What is your favorite thirst-quenching beverage?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 5, 2010

Browse the archives

“Coca-Cola classic.”

“Just plain iced tea.”

“Iced tea with lemon.”

“Ad Astra.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

I see Melissa found my prescription sunglasses from 1975. Don't look directly at the sun, Melissa!!!

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

I once drank straight from the Kansas river. After four days I regained consciousness and haven't been able to taste anything since. They say my vision will clear . . . eventually. And the brownwater squirts are lasting longer than most cases but should go away. I'm told it's never this bad for victims who drank upstream from Topeka, but how was I to know? Sure would be nice to tip back a Pale Ale right now.

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

I HAD hair on my chest! It made it all fall out!

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

You aren't really drinking until you are drinking it right out of the bottle.

denak 4 years, 6 months ago

Usually I just drink Pepsi but that doesn't really quench my thirst so I will have to say water.

Dispersant 4 years, 6 months ago

Funny. None of these choices are thirst quenching. Caffeine and sugar and alcohol dehydrate you.

LogicMan 4 years, 6 months ago

“Coca-Cola classic.”

Maybe if they'd get rid of that high fructose corn syrup and return to real sugar. It doesn't taste the same.

Bill Lee 4 years, 6 months ago

Iced tea, straight, no chaser. No sugar, no lemon, just lots of ice. I have a jar of sun tea brewing right now.

jonas_opines 4 years, 6 months ago

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 6 months ago

<<<I get the old man a Sonic Route 44 diet limeaid. Then I get a free ice cream cup.

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, if you like drinking pine trees. Upgrade to a nice scotch.

labmonkey 4 years, 6 months ago

Lemonade flavored Vitamin Water Zero.

KansasPerson 4 years, 6 months ago

I just came inside (it's 87 degrees out there!) and headed straight for the H2O. Water quenches my thirst like nothing else.

A lemonade is a nice treat, or on a rare occasion, a Sonic cherry limeade. Not good for you but oh so tart/sweet and delicious.

A Cyclist at Free State goes down smooth, too.

@LogicMan, I totally agree. I treated myself to one of the Mexican Coca-Colas last week (first Coke I'd had in YEARS) and it was like going back to my childhood. (They still use sugar -- check the labels) You can get them at Dillons (but not in the sodapop aisle; I think they're over by the Mexican food) or at some Mexican restaurants like that one (in Eudora?) that sells Chinese and Mexican food in the same place.

denak 4 years, 6 months ago

ewwww, seriously. The only time I have had Mexican Coke was when I was in Mexico City a few years ago and that stuff was like sludge. It was so sweet and thick. It really did remind me of the sugar drink pregnant women have to drink to test for gestational diabetes.

I wonder if there is another formula of "Mexican Coca-Colas" marketed towards the U.S., then the Coke sold in Mexico because I can't imagine anyone would find that stuff refreshing.

I'm almost tempted to go get some but the thought of it makes me cringe.

Dena

scopi_guy 4 years, 6 months ago

It must be different. I buy it now and then at either Dillon's or the Hy Vee on 23rd and it's pretty good. Just kinda pricey, about $2 for a 12 oz bottle.

scopi_guy 4 years, 6 months ago

LogicMan 4 years, 6 months ago

"You can get them at Dillons "

I'm so there!

KansasPerson 4 years, 6 months ago

LogicMan, I forgot to say that I found mine at the Dillons on Sixth and Lawrence. Others might have them too. Let me know if you find one, and how you enjoyed that first sip.

Made me want try to find one of those old-time straws that was, I think, mostly paper (they didn't hold up very long).

I used to work at a drugstore that had a soda fountain. Hand-mixed cherry cokes. Ohhhhhh I want one.

gccs14r 4 years, 6 months ago

Water here, too. Oh, and there is a definite difference between "Classic" Coke and the Real Thing. Get a Coke anywhere outside of the U.S. and you get the true original formula. Get rid of the long running and ill-advised U.S. sugar subsidy and we'll get a lot of old favorites back. Probably fix a lot of Type 2 diabetes, ADD and ADHD, obesity, and a bunch of other health issues, too.

independant1 4 years, 6 months ago

creme de menthe on shaved ice with sprig of mint

Newell_Post 4 years, 6 months ago

Any kind of fizzy water with a squeeze of lime.....

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

Being southern and a lover of ice tea with sweet and low, we lost the war because lincoln sent a terrorist to wage war on women and children in the south. Don't think it isn't hatred you hear when we say the word "yankee". The north isn't forgiven.

Liberty275 4 years, 6 months ago

scotch out of the bottle. skip the water and glass.

gccs14r 4 years, 6 months ago

I disagree. Cold water is difficult to drink quickly, and if I'm really thirsty, I'll easily down a quart in one go. It is a good thing to plunge the forearms into for a rapid cooldown, though.

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

water with lemon, unsweetened brewed tea (none of that instant garbage!!)

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

and after a long run on a hot day, I swear nothing tastes better than an ice cold beer