Previous   Next

Is golf a game or a sport?

Asked at Wayne and Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 Iowa on June 4, 2010

Browse the archives

“Golf is a sport if you get paid to do it; golf is a game if you do it for fun.”

“If you have the talent to do it, it is a sport. If you don’t, it’s a game.”

“Golf is a sport. It is competitive and you have to be in shape and you have to go to practice.”

“Sport, because you have to practice. It’s not something that you can just go out to the course and excel at, you have to work hard.”

Comments

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 10 months ago

Golf is a game, just like your other games: football, basketball, soccer,bowling, darts etc. Real sport is motorsports, and for those of you who think it isn't, then you obviously never done it before. You couldn't be expected to understand how physically demanding it is.

beatrice 3 years, 10 months ago

All depends on whether or not real money is riding on the outcome.

tbaker 3 years, 10 months ago

Golf is niether a sport or a game. Things you can do - while drinking beer - are called leisure activities.

parrothead8 3 years, 10 months ago

If you walk and carry your own clubs, it's a sport. If you use a cart or a caddy, it's a game.

demonfury 3 years, 10 months ago

Come on, while we're young !!!
Do you mind? I'm trying to tee off here. Oh yeah, thousand bucks says you slice it into the woods. Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir, and besides, I never slice. S L I C E OK, you can owe me. I owe you nothing, come on Spaulding.

thebcman 3 years, 10 months ago

I hope Sean didn't drive back to Lenexa. == As for golf, George Carlin said it best ... http://www.evtv1.com/player.aspx?itemnum=110

blue73harley 3 years, 10 months ago

I think it is a form of torture worse than water boarding.

Starlight 3 years, 10 months ago

If ya want a linguistic adventure, go drinkin' with a Scotsman. 'Cause ya couldn't ? understand them before... You land in Scotland and they're going: - Oh, yeah. - Oh, yeah? - Sure. - Oh, ? sure, eh! - Sure! - Sure, you dumb ?ing bastard. You realize how drunk they get, they could wear a skirt and not care! And only they could invent a sport like golf. Here's my idea for a ?ing sport. I knock a ball in a gopher hole. - Like pool? -? off pool. Not with a straight stick, with a little ?ed up stick. I whack a ball, it goes in a gopher hole. - Oh, you mean like croquet? - ? croquet! I put the hole hundreds of yards away. Oh, ?of ya ! Big fun, yeah! - Oh, like a bowling thing? - ? no! Not straight. I put stuff in the way. Like trees and bushes and high grass. So you can lose you ?ing ball. And go hacking away with a ?ing tire iron. Whacking away, and each time you miss you feel like you'll have a stroke. ? that's what we'll call it, a stroke, cause each time you miss you feel like you're gonna ?ing die. Oh great, oh and here's the better part. ?, this is brilliant! Right near the end, I'll put a little flat piece with a little flag to give you ?ing hope. But then I'll put a little pool and a sand box, to ? with your ball again. Ay, you'll be there cracking you ass, jacking away in the sand. - And you do this one time? - ? no! Eighteen ?ing times! That's my idea of a sport! The manly sport of golf, where you can dress like a pimp and no one will care. Even a gay blind man would go: "Oh, dear Christ!" "Those are loud. This is no carnival. What a ? are you on?" Even the alligators are going: "butthole!" It's such an athletic sport: whack the ball, get in the car. Whack the ball, get in the car.

For full video of Robin Williams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbC...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

Obama: "If Gulf Coast residents want me down here more, they need to build better golf courses."

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

I play golf because my man Obama plays it.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

CW...its five o'clock somewhere.

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

For crying out loud, is it beer thirty yet?!

consumer1 3 years, 10 months ago

Thuja, got any of what ever your'e smokin for sale???

TrooGrit 3 years, 10 months ago

Anyone who has ever tried to play the game finds out fast how good an athlete they are. Some would say chasing a white ball with a stick is fools folly. Others might notice a nice rhythmic touch. Me, after losing my nineteenth million ball in the rough just wonder at those who can actually play that game, and win!

Pilgrim2 3 years, 10 months ago

Mark Twain was right. Golf is a way to screw up a nice walk.

spacehog 3 years, 10 months ago

I refuse to answer this question on the grounds that it may incriminate me. Roll, autie, and bacon strips.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

that's how we roll......rather sporty of us to be so game, don't you think?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

Why can't anyone on here give a straight forward answer to a question?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

"Andini is going golfing today."

Nobody likes golf. Nobody...

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

Andini is going golfing today. I bet he gets a good high score.

"Hey Judge, $50.00 bucks says you slice."

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

Bark like a dog................

CWGOKU 3 years, 10 months ago

Bark like a dog................

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

"Fifty bucks says the Smails kid picks his nose."

Fifty bucks says Thuja picks his nose and eats it.

somedude20 3 years, 10 months ago

I watched a documentary a few years ago about a golfer, I think his name was Gilmore or something, (I don't really follow golf) but after watching him, golf is no sport. He played some chairty golf game with Bob Barker and they ending up fighting. Gilmore's coach, Chubbs Peterson made it seem more like a game rather than a sport. Anyway, you should check it out as it shows golf to be what it is: ego's, clubs,balls, shafts, carts, fighting, and money!

tumbilweed 3 years, 10 months ago

Fifty bucks says the Smails kid picks his nose.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm not a golfer, but in my 20s, I went once a summer. Usually, the start of a bachelor party. I spent more money on golf balls than I did on greens fees. In short, I am not very good at golf.

br549 3 years, 10 months ago

Religion.......... We worship pesticides, herbicides, water, petroleum, and illegal laborer. Nimrod is out main god.

Have baptized clubs will travel

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

well, it is more active than just drinking without driving a little battery powered go cart and swinging metal clubs around. I think golf lost all it's allure when some of my golfing comrades started taking their girlfriends ......too much crab grass on the course.

vuduchyld 3 years, 10 months ago

Golf is definitely NOT a sport. Certainly, it requires skill and practice, but clearly it does not require any of the typical attributes of athleticism such as strength, foot speed, jumping ability, etc...

If golf is a sport, anything requiring any non-athletic physical skill would be a sport....say, tiddlywinks. Or pitching washers or bean bags. Or tiddlywinks.

trinity 3 years, 10 months ago

oops...hate it when i post twice. impatience. :)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

I just wish they accepted my Vison card in the pro-shop.

trinity 3 years, 10 months ago

pasture pool. that's golf. an excuse to drive a golf cart loaded down with beer-both the driver and the cart.

trinity 3 years, 10 months ago

Mixolydian 3 years, 10 months ago

Rich man's game? It must be my dumb luck then to always get stuck behind a slow foursome of middle class women who won't let me play through.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

It is sheer folly to believe that golf is a rich man's game. There are more golfers playing on more public courses than ever before. It is not just a Bushwood/Alvamar thing.

thuja 3 years, 10 months ago

Golf is a rich man's game and should be seen as sheer folly, because of the inordinate amount of pesticides, herbicides, water, petroleum, and illegal laborers it takes to keep a golf course playable. But, when you are filthy rich, you don't care.

That's the problem.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

Golf is a justification for wearing funny clothes in public.

autie 3 years, 10 months ago

It is a cookie. No, it is a Newton. taste great less filling Today is Kyle's birthday. Kyle doesn't play golf.