Previous   Next

Is golf a game or a sport?

Asked at Wayne and Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 Iowa on June 4, 2010

Browse the archives

“Golf is a sport if you get paid to do it; golf is a game if you do it for fun.”

“If you have the talent to do it, it is a sport. If you don’t, it’s a game.”

“Golf is a sport. It is competitive and you have to be in shape and you have to go to practice.”

“Sport, because you have to practice. It’s not something that you can just go out to the course and excel at, you have to work hard.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Golf is a justification for wearing funny clothes in public.

Rich Noever 4 years, 10 months ago

You are an idiot. You obviously know nothing about golf.

Mixolydian 4 years, 10 months ago

Rich man's game? It must be my dumb luck then to always get stuck behind a slow foursome of middle class women who won't let me play through.

Mixolydian 4 years, 10 months ago

Come on, sing it with me...If I were a rich man, yadda dada dada dada dada dada dada doo.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

thuja, now that was a funny response.

trinity 4 years, 10 months ago

pasture pool. that's golf. an excuse to drive a golf cart loaded down with beer-both the driver and the cart.

M. Lindeman 4 years, 10 months ago

And your point would be what? I have always looked at it like this, it is the only sport you can drink and drive and swing a club and not end up in jail. Oh and my golf bag CAN hold a 20 pack if your wondering.

trinity 4 years, 10 months ago

trinity 4 years, 10 months ago

oops...hate it when i post twice. impatience. :)

vuduchyld 4 years, 10 months ago

Golf is definitely NOT a sport. Certainly, it requires skill and practice, but clearly it does not require any of the typical attributes of athleticism such as strength, foot speed, jumping ability, etc...

If golf is a sport, anything requiring any non-athletic physical skill would be a sport....say, tiddlywinks. Or pitching washers or bean bags. Or tiddlywinks.

bad_dog 4 years, 10 months ago

Strength is a must in order to hit out of the U.S. Open caliber rough I typically enjoy playing from. Foot speed is highly sought after when eluding the angry bees, snakes and occasional gators one encounters in Southern climes. Jumping ability is a necessity to express the requisite degree of exultation when one somehow sinks that 40 foot putt to win the Masters-I mean your company scramble. Sorry, got a little Bill Murray there for a second...

So yeah, it's a sport by your own definition ;-)

somedude20 4 years, 10 months ago

I watched a documentary a few years ago about a golfer, I think his name was Gilmore or something, (I don't really follow golf) but after watching him, golf is no sport. He played some chairty golf game with Bob Barker and they ending up fighting. Gilmore's coach, Chubbs Peterson made it seem more like a game rather than a sport. Anyway, you should check it out as it shows golf to be what it is: ego's, clubs,balls, shafts, carts, fighting, and money!

parrothead8 4 years, 10 months ago

If you walk and carry your own clubs, it's a sport. If you use a cart or a caddy, it's a game.

tbaker 4 years, 10 months ago

Golf is niether a sport or a game. Things you can do - while drinking beer - are called leisure activities.

beatrice 4 years, 10 months ago

All depends on whether or not real money is riding on the outcome.