Previous   Next

Are you going to upgrade your cell phone to take advantage of 4G technology?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on June 2, 2010

Browse the archives

“Probably not, I’m happy with my service right now.”

“I would like to, but I don’t want to spend any more money than I already have to.”

“I will not because my phone is already 4G capable.”

“No, I don’t think so, I think I will stick with my Blackberry.”

Comments

jonas_opines 4 years, 6 months ago

3g good enough for me. Don't even know what the difference between the two is.

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

4G's would put me up over 1100 pounds, I don't think my frame could take it.

pagan_idolator 4 years, 6 months ago

You just made my head explode. Now why would you want to go and do something like that?

Chris Ogle 4 years, 6 months ago

Not if it can still hide in the recliner.

headdoctor 4 years, 6 months ago

Great. Just what we need. More phones with added toys that crowd the networks with a bunch of data crap that will do about everything but make a phone call.

headdoctor 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't have a problem with technology advancements. What I have a problem with is quality of service they are currently marketing and collecting money for knowing in some places especially during certain activities their towers are already overloaded with all the Iphone type crap they are also marketing.

As long as we are stuck with the current form of wireless all the VOIP improvements and such wont amount to a hill of beans if the towers can't handle the load to convert to a VOIP transmission or in less populated areas, a land line transmission.

craigers 4 years, 6 months ago

Thank you for at least understanding that the first 4G phone hasn't even come out yet.

geekyhost 4 years, 6 months ago

KC is going live, but not Lawrence. That's probably years to come. If it didn't involve switching to Sprint, I'd be all over the EVO. That thing looks sweet.

craigers 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm guessing it will be around 6 months and 4G will be inching towards Lawrence. I have had Sprint for over 10 years and haven't had any problems.

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

Sprint was not very good for a long time. Now: very good.

geekyhost 4 years, 6 months ago

That's good to hear. I'd also have to pay $30- $60 more a month for the service, so it may have to wait for the price to come down.

Played with the Evo. It is indeed sweet.

geekyhost 4 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I caught that too. I don't think any of them knew what the heck was being asked.

2002 4 years, 6 months ago

I'll see your 7G and hold out for 9G.

geekyhost 4 years, 6 months ago

Rumor has it that Verizon is going to stop selling unlimited plans when they go 4G. They're going with some sort of "bucket" system. I think that's an incredibly lousy idea. I think it's lousy when Sunflower does it, too. It makes you dependent on someone else for efficient use of the network (ie not pulling ads from 234324 places or syncing constantly in the background.) It also means you rely on the billing network to accurately report your use of data on the system. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

You don't know Autie.

You must be new around here too.

somedude20 4 years, 6 months ago

I very much liked the G3 as Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani's music is very good. I do not know about the "G4" probably with some d-bags from fallout boy or sum 41 or some spit. In fact, I have made up my mind ( I ain't wastin no more time) I hate the G4 cause new rock music basically sucks!

RoeDapple 4 years, 6 months ago

This is getting way out of hand! (think I'll just stay with pocket billiards)

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 6 months ago

4Gs ($4000) for a phone? Too rich for my blood.

countrygirl 4 years, 6 months ago

The guys at the sprint store here in Lawrence told me that Lawrence should have 4G coverage by this fall. I'll probably upgrade our wireless internet card for the lap top but not mess with the phones.

kcchiefmatt 4 years, 6 months ago

The HTC EVO 4G from Sprint is selling for $199 which is the same price as the top phones for Verizon and AT&T that don't even offer 4G. Besides offering 4G service, the device is the best on the market for 3G also. The EVO has a 4.3" screen, HDMI Output to a TV, HD video recorder, 8 MP backside camera, 1.3 MP front-side camera for video chat, FM Tuner, digital compass, and it's a mobile wifi hotspot for up to 8 devices. Throw in the fact that Sprint's unlimited Everything Data Plan's are about $30-$40 cheaper a month than Verizon and AT&T and it's an easy choice. I will be picking mine up on Friday...

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years, 6 months ago

I absolutely CANNOT wait (well I can, but you know what I mean) until I can upgrade to the EVO. I love everything about it and have been telling everyone I know about the features, the the speed, the android-ness, the 4G-ness.....

dajudge 4 years, 6 months ago

Autie could try some of that there "Tantric Yoga" if he's going dancing with men.

Kontum1972 4 years, 6 months ago

4 Girl Techno...how cool.......! sign me up...been a long time 4G....killer mon!

Deja Coffin 4 years, 6 months ago

Hey R_I..... what special day is June 4th?

hungryhustler 4 years, 6 months ago

I'm already G'd up from the feet up. U feel me???

Newell_Post 4 years, 6 months ago

My current phone doesn't work at all in about half the places I need it to. (Such as home.) More cell towers, fewer G's. That what we need.

riverdrifter 4 years, 6 months ago

Here's an old 1981 G3 clunker you can pick up on the cheap:

whats_going_on 4 years, 6 months ago

The first six posters and autie........LOL.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 6 months ago

I don't have a choice to schedule the birth of my child...... having a C-section. Technically the doctor picked the birth date.... I just picked the date of conception. You never know, he could come today...... not likely but I'd be okay with it!

Richard Heckler 4 years, 6 months ago

These cell phone companies are truly very busy finding ways to scam more money from the users. How many phones does anyone need.

Yes I was around when the land lines were all that were available. When a move took place that same phone went along. Owning the same phone for years and years was the deal and very very inexpensive.

What does 4G represent? Why would it be necessary?

dabbindan 4 years, 6 months ago