Previous   Next

Has Facebook been good or bad for your social life?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 31, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think it’s been mostly good, not everyone that I am friends with on Facebook is my real life friend … sometimes I hide them, but I do approve them.”

“Neither because the people that I know and talk to on it are the same people I know and talk to in real life.”

“I’d say it’s been good for my social life because there’s a couple of friends I have gotten closer with from high school that I wouldn’t have gotten back together with if they hadn’t found me on Facebook.”

“It’s been about the same, hasn’t changed much. I don’t talk to any more people than I do normally.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Most of my facebook friends have me blocked. The rest I suspect are law enforcement. So far the tinfoil hat and the lead shielding have protected me.Mom brings me sandwiches. It's dark down here. Lucky for me I can type without looking at the keyyeses.

nobody1793 4 years, 4 months ago

It's been great. I found out that nobody2591 and nobody 9421 are pretty cool people. I had to unfriend nobody666 though...he kept sacrificing goats on farmville.

ruette 4 years, 4 months ago

So what's with asking only the youngsters? I'm 60+ and FB's gotten me back in touch with people I haven't seen for decades,...and I'm catching up with them! Love it!

IndusRiver 4 years, 4 months ago

Facebook has been the page or whatever from Hell. It needs, I don't know, a mother and a father or God on its side. Maybe it just needs to be mercy killed today sometime, I don't know. All I know is that it drives me crazy.

God made the man who made Facebook just to f with me. That's what it is.

dogsandcats 4 years, 4 months ago

Bad because instead of doing things with people, now I just play all of my 38 facebook games. Not farmville though, I boycott that one.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

My only encounter with Facebook is if I fall asleep while reading.

Calliope877 4 years, 4 months ago

Twitter bites. I prefer "friends" over "followers".

Flap Doodle 4 years, 4 months ago

The lemurs have more facebook friends than I do.

SLOPOKE 4 years, 4 months ago

ALL SCAM!! Can't trust all, sniches,con's ,instegaters,cops,you name it..The internetgetto.......And a Few good hearted hoomies,that are'nt aware as, ( s o m e others..)

Linda Aikins 4 years, 4 months ago

Both. I've made contact with friends and family from the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back. BUT I have also accidentally hurt someone's feelings by something I posted and felt really awful about it.

But I have had fun with it. Some really funny people on there.....:)

notajayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

I only recently joined Facebook, mostly to keep up with a couple of relatives (it's easier posting new pictures of the kids in one place rather than e-mailing them to everyone separately). Since then, I have caught up with a lot of people I haven't talked to in a while - my latest Facebook friend is someone I haven't seen in 33 years. But does that translate into a social life? I just got back from a visit to the town where I grew up, and despite lots of contact with some of those old acquaintances online, the only person I actually got together with in person was someone I would have seen with or without Facebook. There have been a lot of events I would like to have gone to, but I'm 1500 miles away and generally can't just show up.

So I guess it depends on your definition; if by 'social life' you mean having a bigger list of people you can send messages to online or having the latest news on someone's hemorrhoids pasted to your wall (with a text-message notification), then I suppose it's been good. If you mean 'social life' as actual interaction between more than one human being, then it hasn't made a darned bit of difference.