Previous   Next

Has Facebook been good or bad for your social life?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 31, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think it’s been mostly good, not everyone that I am friends with on Facebook is my real life friend … sometimes I hide them, but I do approve them.”

“Neither because the people that I know and talk to on it are the same people I know and talk to in real life.”

“I’d say it’s been good for my social life because there’s a couple of friends I have gotten closer with from high school that I wouldn’t have gotten back together with if they hadn’t found me on Facebook.”

“It’s been about the same, hasn’t changed much. I don’t talk to any more people than I do normally.”

Comments

couranna1 3 years, 8 months ago

Facebook is great I use it constantly. It allows to keep in touch with people plus follow causes and keep up with my life in Seattle the greatest city in the USA

notajayhawk 3 years, 8 months ago

I only recently joined Facebook, mostly to keep up with a couple of relatives (it's easier posting new pictures of the kids in one place rather than e-mailing them to everyone separately). Since then, I have caught up with a lot of people I haven't talked to in a while - my latest Facebook friend is someone I haven't seen in 33 years. But does that translate into a social life? I just got back from a visit to the town where I grew up, and despite lots of contact with some of those old acquaintances online, the only person I actually got together with in person was someone I would have seen with or without Facebook. There have been a lot of events I would like to have gone to, but I'm 1500 miles away and generally can't just show up.

So I guess it depends on your definition; if by 'social life' you mean having a bigger list of people you can send messages to online or having the latest news on someone's hemorrhoids pasted to your wall (with a text-message notification), then I suppose it's been good. If you mean 'social life' as actual interaction between more than one human being, then it hasn't made a darned bit of difference.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

Facebook is fake. Dunbar's number is the proposed number of stable social relationships one can maintain.
It has been calculated at 150. This limit imposed by neocortical processing capacity.

Over 150 face book friends?
You are a big fake.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

Goots -

Here is a bad FB story. My brother dated and lived with this gal for seven years. They moved in and out and broke up and got together multiple times over those seven years. Well, they finally did the final break up and she was still his friend on Facebook. His new girlfriend posted pics of them on her page and tagged him. That showed up in her feed. He had started dating this gal a month after he broke up with the old girlfriend. Much unpleasantness ensued.

Gootsie 3 years, 8 months ago

Both. I've made contact with friends and family from the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back. BUT I have also accidentally hurt someone's feelings by something I posted and felt really awful about it.

But I have had fun with it. Some really funny people on there.....:)

SLOPOKE 3 years, 8 months ago

ALL SCAM!! Can't trust all, sniches,con's ,instegaters,cops,you name it..The internetgetto.......And a Few good hearted hoomies,that are'nt aware as, ( s o m e others..)

Flap Doodle 3 years, 8 months ago

The lemurs have more facebook friends than I do.

Calliope877 3 years, 8 months ago

Twitter bites. I prefer "friends" over "followers".

g_rock 3 years, 8 months ago

I enjoy scoffing and giggling at other folk's joys and dramas. Though I'm bitter and stuff...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

Twitter rules, Facebook drools.

Livin' large, 140 characters at a time.

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

My only encounter with Facebook is if I fall asleep while reading.

independant1 3 years, 8 months ago

huh? facebook? no need I guess.

independant1 3 years, 8 months ago

huh? facebook? no need I guess.

Donnuts 3 years, 8 months ago

I found old friends and reconnected with old girlfriends that have turned into some of the most beautiful people. I have to say I have a couple of ex girlfriends from high school I am real proud of. They turned out to be the great people they were back then only more developed.

dogsandcats 3 years, 8 months ago

Bad because instead of doing things with people, now I just play all of my 38 facebook games. Not farmville though, I boycott that one.

IndusRiver 3 years, 8 months ago

Facebook has been the page or whatever from Hell. It needs, I don't know, a mother and a father or God on its side. Maybe it just needs to be mercy killed today sometime, I don't know. All I know is that it drives me crazy.

God made the man who made Facebook just to f with me. That's what it is.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 8 months ago

Facebook ?? Are you kidding me ?? Grow the hell up people ! Live a life instead of pretending you're some kind of celebrity with a fan club... facebook is for children (people who are still naive' enough to think that the whole world wants to know, everytime they take a crap!) As I said before... what kind of rag is this LJW ?

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

oh shoot...I left out the hail....all hail the goat queen.

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

All Py the goat Queen!!

Yes or No.....I can't figure why some people send me invites to be my friend....when the barely say hi when I see them at the store....I guess they go for quanity and not quality.

ruette 3 years, 8 months ago

So what's with asking only the youngsters? I'm 60+ and FB's gotten me back in touch with people I haven't seen for decades,...and I'm catching up with them! Love it!

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

It is cool. I have connected with folks I grew up with and college folks from back in the day. Autie made me get on it and I have no complaints. It is what it is. Just another place for me to act like a fool.

"I had to unfriend nobody666 though...he kept sacrificing goats on farmville."

Oh, the Goat Queen is going to be so pissed.

CWGOKU 3 years, 8 months ago

Ahhhh! The big bug sunglasses are back! Don't do Facebook. My kids live on it, but I don't touch it. Ditto to Prospector.

prospector 3 years, 8 months ago

Nobody likes Facebook....except nobody...

prospector 3 years, 8 months ago

No, I don't need no stinkin' facespace or mybook for my social life. I do it the old fashion way by lurking and stalking. No E-trail that way.

nobody1793 3 years, 8 months ago

It's been great. I found out that nobody2591 and nobody 9421 are pretty cool people. I had to unfriend nobody666 though...he kept sacrificing goats on farmville.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Most of my facebook friends have me blocked. The rest I suspect are law enforcement. So far the tinfoil hat and the lead shielding have protected me.Mom brings me sandwiches. It's dark down here. Lucky for me I can type without looking at the keyyeses.