Previous   Next

Do you prefer to read your books on Kindle, iPad or hardback form?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 27, 2010

Browse the archives

“Hardback, I don’t have a Kindle or an iPad.”

“Hardback, it’s cheaper.”

“I prefer to read them on hardback … my eyes tend to hurt focusing on different resolutions on screens.”

“Hardback, because the others are too technical for me.”

Comments

jonas_opines 4 years, 4 months ago

Once I have a platform for it, I think I'll enjoy digital. I hardly ever printed out any of my pdfs for school the last few years, just read them on my laptop. (probably would have cost me several hundred dollars all told to print all of them) A guy on the plane next to me heading to Beijing this summer had an iPad, and it looked pretty neat, and pretty easy to read.

Jack: You have to turn the pages on an iPad. heeheehee

Anyway, think it's more a weight and portability issue than otherwise. You can carry like 500 different books with you in one single backpack.

trinity 4 years, 4 months ago

hardback. opening an old musty library book and getting lost in its pages is a pleasure that can't be equaled by the digital crap. or opening a brand new book that nobody has read yet until you scored it...ah.

grammaddy 4 years, 4 months ago

Hardback (or paperback) I don't own an ipad or kindle. version. And some authors, I prefer to collect first printing.

RoeDapple 4 years, 4 months ago

Louis L'Amour paperbacks I find left in the old out house. Usually have about half the pages ripped out of them. Ya just can't find readin' (or paper) like that anymore . . .

TMI?

George_Braziller 4 years, 4 months ago

Louis L'Amour paperbacks. What a memory flash-back trigger. My grandfather always had a pile of them on the right side of his chair. When he finished one he put it on the left side of the chair and then pick up another one from the pile on the right.

He had to have read them all at least three or four times.

Aileen Dingus 4 years, 4 months ago

Kindles aren't backlit... they're very similar to an Etch-e-Sketch (sp?) really.

I have a Kindle and love it. I was able to take 30+ books on vacation in the space of 1 paperback. I can also get "classics" (Pride and Prejudice, Shakespeare, Jack London etc.) for free.

That said, I should probably buy stock in Half Price Books and the Dusty Bookshelf. I can ALWAYS find something to read there. :) They love to see me coming through the door. ;)

whats_going_on 4 years, 4 months ago

I like the ipad ibooks thing, but the books are so expensive...

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 4 months ago

Silly Roe. If I recall, it is you who gets a little handsie when I'm around.

Literature? I get mine the way all patriots do. Through FOX.

somedude20 4 years, 4 months ago

go someplace out of Lawrence and ask this question. "What they hell you mean an e-lec-tronic bouk? Hell boy, I cant even read that there nekad pictures in dem nudie ma-go-zeens"

"now who whats to give ole Hank some car-o-mels Hanks still gots some teeths left and loves the sugar"

Hank Wilber Jenkins, Holton Kansas Grandwizard of Holton Chapter

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 4 months ago

Your sister sees the future Like your mama and yourself You’ve never learned to read or write There’s no books upon your shelf

ms_canada 4 years, 4 months ago

My kids worry about me. They say I am addicted to reading and maybe they are right. I do read 65 to 70 books a year. And I am not talking about skinny little paper back romances. I like anything to do with history with crime novels my favourite. And I find lots of books that combine history with crime. Has anyone out there read Sweetness In The Belly by Camilla Gibb. Great book. Takes place in Ethiopia. Recently read a book that was written by 6 different authors. Each author wrote one chapter of the story. Very unique type of book. I enjoyed it. I don't think I would ever read an electronic book. I like the feel of the book in my hands.

beatrice 4 years, 4 months ago

I prefer to read books on my sofa, although sometimes while in bed.