Previous   Next

Do you prefer to read your books on Kindle, iPad or hardback form?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 27, 2010

Browse the archives

“Hardback, I don’t have a Kindle or an iPad.”

“Hardback, it’s cheaper.”

“I prefer to read them on hardback … my eyes tend to hurt focusing on different resolutions on screens.”

“Hardback, because the others are too technical for me.”

Comments

autie 3 years, 8 months ago

Hardback. Pre read. It saves time.

Norma Jeane Baker 3 years, 8 months ago

Living in a third world country, the Kindle has been great. I have access to books that will never be available in this country in English. Several others here have them and feel the same way. But, I also enjoy 'the real thing' and stock up on books when I'm back in Lawrence. Yeah, Half Price Books is a great place to get them.

beatrice 3 years, 8 months ago

I prefer to read books on my sofa, although sometimes while in bed.

ms_canada 3 years, 8 months ago

My kids worry about me. They say I am addicted to reading and maybe they are right. I do read 65 to 70 books a year. And I am not talking about skinny little paper back romances. I like anything to do with history with crime novels my favourite. And I find lots of books that combine history with crime. Has anyone out there read Sweetness In The Belly by Camilla Gibb. Great book. Takes place in Ethiopia. Recently read a book that was written by 6 different authors. Each author wrote one chapter of the story. Very unique type of book. I enjoyed it. I don't think I would ever read an electronic book. I like the feel of the book in my hands.

K_Verses_The_World 3 years, 8 months ago

Your sister sees the future Like your mama and yourself You’ve never learned to read or write There’s no books upon your shelf

somedude20 3 years, 8 months ago

go someplace out of Lawrence and ask this question. "What they hell you mean an e-lec-tronic bouk? Hell boy, I cant even read that there nekad pictures in dem nudie ma-go-zeens"

"now who whats to give ole Hank some car-o-mels Hanks still gots some teeths left and loves the sugar"

Hank Wilber Jenkins, Holton Kansas Grandwizard of Holton Chapter

g_rock 3 years, 8 months ago

Though I would think an iPad would be easier to wipe off if it gets sticky...

whats_going_on 3 years, 8 months ago

I like the ipad ibooks thing, but the books are so expensive...

Aileen Dingus 3 years, 8 months ago

Kindles aren't backlit... they're very similar to an Etch-e-Sketch (sp?) really.

I have a Kindle and love it. I was able to take 30+ books on vacation in the space of 1 paperback. I can also get "classics" (Pride and Prejudice, Shakespeare, Jack London etc.) for free.

That said, I should probably buy stock in Half Price Books and the Dusty Bookshelf. I can ALWAYS find something to read there. :) They love to see me coming through the door. ;)

Donnuts 3 years, 8 months ago

paperback. I side with that I don't like to look at screens that have backlit letters.

CWGOKU 3 years, 8 months ago

Hardback, reading in bed, late at night when everyone is asleep and the house is quiet. Maybe a late night snack too.

prospector 3 years, 8 months ago

R-I, What happened? If she ended up on the tour bus, it would have been a half truth.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

I know what you are thinking... Styx? But I learned some hard lessons that night.

What is promised is rarely delivered...

/girls lie //cynical

prospector 3 years, 8 months ago

Hardback, I can still find my place after I use it as a fly swatter. The others don't hold up as well.

RoeDapple 3 years, 8 months ago

Louis L'Amour paperbacks I find left in the old out house. Usually have about half the pages ripped out of them. Ya just can't find readin' (or paper) like that anymore . . .

TMI?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 8 months ago

Print. I have been using the same ticket stub as a bookmark for almost 30 years.

Styx, June 13th, 1981. Veterans Memorial Auditorium, Des Moines $9.00

g_rock 3 years, 8 months ago

I like the iPad but it is harder to underline and highlight and write comments in the margins before you pass the book along to others....that is half the fun. And you have a hard time finding the dog eared pages where the dirty parts are.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 8 months ago

Holy crap. Those are the biggest insectoid eyes I've ever seen!!! I thought that fad had passed.

grammaddy 3 years, 8 months ago

Hardback (or paperback) I don't own an ipad or kindle. version. And some authors, I prefer to collect first printing.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

I tried to listen to an audio book once. I couldn't figure out how to put the cassette in my MP3 player. Maybe Drew Carey can help me figure out the different screen resolutions.

trinity 3 years, 8 months ago

hardback. opening an old musty library book and getting lost in its pages is a pleasure that can't be equaled by the digital crap. or opening a brand new book that nobody has read yet until you scored it...ah.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm not sure you can get The Anarchist Cookbook or The Turner Diaries on them fancy digital things.

tange 3 years, 8 months ago

I read all my books on DVD, generally a line or two at a time at the bottom of the screen.

jonas_opines 3 years, 8 months ago

Once I have a platform for it, I think I'll enjoy digital. I hardly ever printed out any of my pdfs for school the last few years, just read them on my laptop. (probably would have cost me several hundred dollars all told to print all of them) A guy on the plane next to me heading to Beijing this summer had an iPad, and it looked pretty neat, and pretty easy to read.

Jack: You have to turn the pages on an iPad. heeheehee

Anyway, think it's more a weight and portability issue than otherwise. You can carry like 500 different books with you in one single backpack.

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 8 months ago

This On The Street makes me sad because I can't read nor write.

JackFrost 3 years, 8 months ago

I prefer a first edition IPAD. Come on, has technology really brought us to the point where we're too lazy to turn pages? So much for the Lawrence Public Library expansion. I only read hardcore mags anyway.

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 8 months ago

MP3 or WMA audio books; otherwise, old school printed books. Hardback or paper back is okay.

Napoleon_Dynomite 3 years, 8 months ago

Books? We don't read books; we have TV!