Previous   Next

How well do you think you know your neighbors?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 4000 W. Sixth St. on July 26, 2010

Browse the archives

“Casually well. We’re all very busy, working people, but they all seem very nice, and everyone gets along.”

“Unfortunately, not very well … everybody just pulls in their garage and goes in the house.”

“Not well at all. They come and go so fast, I have no idea.”

“Not all that well.”

Comments

Jean1183 4 years, 3 months ago

Well....we walk (and talk) together every day.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

They hold crosses in front of themselves and chant when they see me. They seem surprised to see me out in the sun. They walk on the other side of the street when going past my house. All in all I think they like me.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 3 months ago

Not at all. I live in an apartment and like rats...err people, forced to live together closely we tend to avoid each other.

independant1 4 years, 3 months ago

Out in the country we look out for each other and each others property. We're armed, it's unwritten code.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 3 months ago

In the city we look out for each other and each other's property. We're armed, it's written code; Conceal and Carry. America!

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

The expert on that question must not be named on this forum.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 3 months ago

Just a hypothetical: If an applicant, say in Wyandotte County, makes application but has a prior restraining order, say in Douglas County, how does this work? How does the Wyandotte County sheriff even learn about out of county history?

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

I will stick with beavis and butthead's outlook on Winger, they suck but having said that (Curb Your Enthusiam anyone?) Reb Beach is a talented dude

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree, they sucked. From what I've heard, dude was also a ballerina. (Not sure of the male version of that one. I know it's not balladier, that's a singer, right?)

Ballerina metal? Lemmy would not approve...

ms_canada 4 years, 3 months ago

We have never made it a policy to socialize with the neighbours. We have lived in our house for 46 years and have seen neighbours come and go. We all say hello and comment on the weather when passing and that is about it. That is, except for Rusty. Our crossword loving cat (see pic to the left) has a very good young friend across the back alley. Nico is about ten years old and he just loves to play with Rusty. Lady, a black lab, was also a good friend to Rusty until her master moved away. The three of them, boy, dog, cat, were a delight to watch as they gambolled in the kiddie park across the alley. So now it is just Rusty and Nico being neighbourly.

Irenaku 4 years, 3 months ago

I love my neighbors! I live in the "art ghetto" in East Lawrence, and my neighbors and I are always outside with our kids, socializing, playing with the dog, running the sprinkler for the kdis...it is awesome!

independant1 4 years, 3 months ago

Won't you be my neighbor? (Mr. Rogers, no known kin to Will)

ruroy 4 years, 3 months ago

I think it is so sad that so many people do not know their neighbors. I moved from Lawrence 8 years ago and live in a small community in Jefferson County. I am very proud and happy to say that I know all of my neighbors and love several as if they were my own family. Most are retired and the knowledge they have shared with our family is priceless. We are all there for each other in a crisis and I wouldn't have it any other way.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, the moral of the story The moral of this song Is simply that one should never be Where one does not belong So when you see your neighbor carrying something Help him with his load And don’t go mistaking Paradise For that home across the road

grammaddy 4 years, 3 months ago

Not well.One has his daughter on the weekends and the grandkids play with her, we hit each others' houses first on Halloween and share snacks for the kids.The couple on the other side are rarely outside. Not a bad neighborhood but I've lived in friendlier ones.

Kontum1972 4 years, 3 months ago

"refudiate" ... that icon reminds me of my ledy friend..who lives out of town..VaVaVoom...

Kontum1972 4 years, 3 months ago

oh yeah....back to the subject matter.....i know all my neighbors down my block...for the past 18 years....they are all great..couldnt ask for better people...

Kontum1972 4 years, 3 months ago

obtw..i use to live in roeland park.....i can understand... Jim the librarian..! thats why i moved....

I_Bejewel 4 years, 3 months ago

I know a few of their names, smile or wave when they pass by. We've only lived here for a year, so I hope we'll get to know some of them better over time. They all seem quite nice.

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

I found the word "refudiate" in one of the chapters of The Watchmen.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm surrounded by lemur-phobes.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 3 months ago

I absolutely love my neighbors! I really feel lucky to have such great neighbors, while we were in the hospital having our son one of my neighbors took care of my dog and watered my garden for me while two other neighbors got together and mowed the lawn. I have another neighbor, about two houses away from me that is like a mother to me. She made a blanket and wall hanging for my son that we absolutely cherish. Which reminds me, I have some homemade pies I need to make to give them as a thank-you gift! Even the neighbors I don't know I can't complain about because they keep to themselves. All in all I not only love my neighbors but really love living in a small town and having so many people that are there for you when you need it most. I live in a great little community! I know I sound sappy as heck but it's true!

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

I know that my neighbor Beth has a small mole over her left buttox.... Every breath you take and every move you make Every bond you break Every step you take, I'll be watching you

\

pace 4 years, 3 months ago

I have great neighbors. Their kids are friendly and polite, their dog barks, just announcing, when people walk by. Only one neighbor asks to borrow my tools and I lend him only from the old set. I use to live in a cold neighborhood, now I see more pedestrians and kids.

J Good Good 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree with another poster that East Lawrence is friendly and we know our neighbors. I have totally awesome neighbors who help each other out. But it is partly the way all of the houses have porches and sidewalks and people actually walk a lot.

You get to know folks when you see them all the time. The neighborhoods where the main part of the house you see are the garage are going to have a harder time.

H_Lecter 4 years, 3 months ago

I love to have my neighbors over to grill.

I enjoy trying to pair them with the right beverage. Susie Shiraz Larry Lager I love my neighbors to death.

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 3 months ago

I used to have cool neighbors...we'll see about the new crop...I don't know them at all yet...

IndusRiver 4 years, 3 months ago

Too well. I know what they all are.

gphawk89 4 years, 3 months ago

Having spend nearly two decades living in apartments, I was pretty excited when we finally bought a house. We were going to have real "neighbors" like my parents did when I was growing up! We've lived there four years now. No neighborhood barbecues. No parties. Very little socializing. I've briefly chatted a few times with the next-door neighbor on one side of our house. The grumpy old guy to the other side has never said a word to us other than pounding on our door once and accusing my wife of calling a tree service after his tree fell on the power lines. The family across the street is just weird. What a letdown.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

If I were in the market for a house now I would find one I like then visit the neighbors BEFORE I put money down. A light chat with potential neighbors can reveal tons of clues about them to you. And you to them. Better than after sale enlightenment.

gphawk89 4 years, 3 months ago

Probably would have done that if we had had some time. My wife was about 8.9 months pregnant so we basically viewed the house and committed to buying it the same day. Actually I can say very few bad things about the neighborhood. Quiet, safe dead-end street. No buyer's remorse, I had just hoped for a bit more socializing.