Previous   Next

What is your favorite summertime soup?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on July 21, 2010

Browse the archives

“Gazpacho.”

“Gazpacho because it’s cold, and tomatoes are good for you.”

“It is tomato bisque, smooth and yummy.”

“Red lentil, it’s got curry in it and seems good for you.”

Comments

K_Verses_The_World 4 years ago

Hear, Hear! Besides, chili's after effects create a cooling breeze...

beatrice 4 years ago

jonas, if you have to ask then obviously you aren't part of the cool, trendy crowd. I mean, I was in a restaurant just this week and I saw this poser order tomato-lentil-onion soup topped with goat cheese! I mean, that is so 2007! How embarrasing, and he didn't even know! He might has well have ordered wonton in a to-go cup!

Flap Doodle 4 years ago

Little thin pancakes soup!

ms_canada 4 years ago

I make a little thin pancake soup. Tortilla thin pancakes in a tomato style soup, very good soup. Would that be to your liking, snap???

labmonkey 4 years ago

Someone made some cabbage soup at work the other night, and it wasn't too bad even though it felt weird eating it in the summer.

What kind of soup would Jack Johnson eat? That would be my Merc answer.

jonas_opines 4 years ago

I make a fruit and yogurt soup in my blender. I call it a smoothie.

Not a fan of most soups.

dajudge 4 years ago

Hot, buttery, biscuits and gravy soup! A nice big bowl of it with some sausages and eggs thrown in.

stinerides 4 years ago

pyewacket. what's that movie again? Bell Book and Candle? I need to watch that again !! I luuuv it, especially in the winter on a snowy day with a warm bowl o' bisque.

ivalueamerica 4 years ago

There was this restaurant in Austin, TX that would serve a cold fruit soup with a milk base that was incredible.

ms_canada 4 years ago

Vichysoise and gazpacho are two very refreshing cold soups which are most enjoyable on a hot summer day. And since it is quite hot here today, I think I will make gazpacho right now. Just going to look up the recipe.

Cait McKnelly 4 years ago

Now go blow the soup out of your nose.

Cait McKnelly 4 years ago

I eat soup year round but the ones I eat in the summer are ones that cook fast and leave little residue heat in the house. Chowders are always good in the summer. I do clam and corn chowder. Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. LoveLoveLove French onion soup anytime of year.

scopi_guy 4 years ago

Grown men shouldn't say the word yummy out loud.

kernal 4 years ago

Jeesh, gazpacho trendy? Only been around a few hundred years. Forget the lemon. Better with lime and a dollop of tequila for some extra oomph; oomph being a necessary ingredient for the summer lethargy.

kernal 4 years ago

Oh, and forget the bread in the more rustic recipes. Soggy bread in a cold soup is just disgusting.

ivalueamerica 4 years ago

I found the recipe for the fruit soup I used to enjoy in Texas

Ingredients 1 small cantaloupe 1/2 of a small honeydew melon 1/2 cup unsweetened pineapple juice 1/3 cup sugar 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger 4 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened strawberries 1 8-ounce carton vanilla yogurt 1 8-ounce carton dairy sour cream 2 cups milk

Directions 1. Using a small melon baller, scoop the cantaloupe and the honeydew into balls or use a knife to cut melons into cubes. (You should have about 4 cups cantaloupe and 2 cups honeydew.) Set melon aside. 2. In a small saucepan combine pineapple juice, sugar, and ginger. Bring to boiling, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until the mixture is the consistency of a thin syrup. Remove from heat; cool. Transfer syrup to a storage container. Add 2 cups of the cantaloupe pieces and all of the honeydew pieces. Cover and chill overnight. 3. Meanwhile, in a blender container or food processor bowl cover and blend or process strawberries until smooth; remove and set aside. Cover and blend or process remaining 2 cups cantaloupe pieces until smooth. In a large mixing bowl stir together yogurt and sour cream. Add pureed strawberries, pureed melon, and milk; stir until combined. Cover and chill overnight. 4. To serve, drain melon balls, reserving syrup; stir reserved syrup into chilled soup. Ladle soup into bowls; top with melon balls.

beatrice 4 years ago

oneeye, I believe it best that you avoided yesterday's OTS question.

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years ago