Previous   Next

Do you experience garden envy?

Asked at Wal-Mart, 550 Congressional Drive on July 19, 2010

Browse the archives

“Not here, no. I’m not from around here. I would (garden) if the climate was better.”

“No. We have a garden, but my neighbors and I trade peppers and tomatoes.”

“Yeah I do. I want to have a garden, but I know it’s a lot of work and I don’t have a yard.”

“No, no garden envy.”

Related story

Comments

consumer1 3 years, 9 months ago

The only envy I have from this article is money envy. I wish i could pay someone to come and do all the work of making my yard look the way I want it to.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

People who have not grown in N Lawrence dirt, just don't get the difference. (Or any river bottom dirt I would think) It's a lot like that Gilligan's Isle episode with the seeds in the crate that wash up in the lagoon. ;p

somedude20 3 years, 9 months ago

if it is an herb garden, yes. Sour Diesel, New York Diesel, OG Kush, Space Kush, Vortex and so on are the only kind of gardens (unless it is a wicked garden) that I envy

50YearResident 3 years, 9 months ago

I envy all the people that don't have a garden because I think after you add all the expenses for everything needed to grow the garden and factor the labor involved it is a lot cheaper just to buy from the grocery store or farmers market. And, yes, I have a garden that I am throwing money and labor into, darn it!

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh.... Jack grows his own allright.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm bred for comfort, not for speed.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I'll let you gardeners and organic Merc freaks in on a little secret: if you go to any grocery store, look for a sign that says Produce. Go take a look. Lots of good stuff there. But tell no one. That's the first rule of Garden Club.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

CW, I found an ambulance chaser who's gonna taken the farmer's market dog issue to the State Supreme Court. Extremely heavy issue. I've been hearing some noise about oil leaks and the economy, but I think we need to focus on what's really important.

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

Along similar lines, whatever happened to that hard hitting question from last year about whether or not people could bring their dogs to the farmer's market? Wow, hard hitting stuff, miss that question... Yawn.

Brussle sprouts blow

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Actually, the climate here in the summer is perfect for growing the sticky icky. No envy here. Cuz nobody grows the purple blurple like Jack.

bobberboy 3 years, 9 months ago

My three favorite vegatables. Lettuce, turnip, and pea.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't even have Justin Bieber envy anymore. I saw him on "Ellen" last week and he"s actually a decent kid. He'll be gone-zo after his voice changes. At least he didn't win some contrived singing contest on "American Idol" and suddenly became entitled to a bona-fide career. Those pukes make me sick. I guess I'd have to man up and say the same for the Jonas Brothers. I'll take Justin and the Jo-Bro off of my People I Wanna Fight List and put Lady Gaga on at about #7 with a bullet. That hog needs a tune up. I'm still focusing on #1, John Mayer, before I serve a bat whack to anyone else. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSiZ9cX0DSY

oliveoyl 3 years, 9 months ago

All I have to say is NORTH LAWRENCE! The soil plus over 7 hours of sun equal an explosion of fruits and veggies in my yard! There is nothing like growing and eating your own food. It's less expensive as well. I'm guessing we've probably saved around $100 dollars this summer alone in produce. It is a little time consuming but well worth it.

Brussel sprouts are delicious! With butter, shallots, garlic, salt/pepper and roasted walnuts...yummo.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I do not have poison ivy. But I definitely covet my ass.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

maybe you mericans might be more happier if you could just deep fat fry them brussel sprouts in onion ring batter.....then puts catsup on them....Now I'm hungrier for frog legs and snails.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

TOB, you're right there! brussels sprouts were revealed as a plot by the communists to infiltrate our society and government. this was revealed in the 70's but the russians then poisoned the journalist who found it out.

to that list I'd add asparagus [or however you spell it, bleck!].
now, broccoli I like it.

and TOB, is the devil still booking vacations to he|| so we here can go and cool off?

garden envy? nude gardening?

I think ljworld missed the angle on this one.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

Brussel Sprouts, along with zuchini, is Satan's vegetable.

bobberboy 3 years, 9 months ago

is that kind of like penis envy only for gardens ?

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

Heck no... I do my gardening at Price Chopper and if I don't like that produce I go to Hy-Vee, or Hen House or..........

ms_canada 3 years, 9 months ago

I used to have a huge garden, but whoa, what a lot of work. I still have three large raised beds and that is enough for the two of us. But I still get nostalgic when I see a nice big plot.

K_Verses_The_World 3 years, 9 months ago

They used to grow food in Kansas Now they want to grow it on the moon and eat it raw I can see the day coming when even your home garden Is gonna be against the law

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

I am pretty sure that paying $195 for Lady Gaga floor tickets is a deadly sin.

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

Envy? That's deadly. Come to think of it, you might consider these activities sloth.

nobody1793 3 years, 9 months ago

I've got ranch envy. I keep one head of steer on my patio, but it keeps kicking over the charcoal grill. Spoil sport.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

autie, You know just as well that there is no such thing as a good brussel sprout.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

Gillian, she ain't from around here. Climate my left foot....Great Britian ain't the only place in the world you can grow a good brussel sprout. At least the sun come out here.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

A little. I have a balcony with five tomato plants and a couple of hanging flowers, but I'd enjoy having more room. I miss having a big yard.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

Naaaaa...once you've set the bar high for the slightly younger and less experienced neighbors in the new neighborhood to reach (not by intention, lol)...you've made your mark by example and teaching. No one has to be the greatest show on earth year after year, the torch can be passed on. I can drive by and still see the fruits of my labors, the trees and most plants are still awesome, even if the care needs were too involved for the average home owner. ;)

(Cue Toby Keith: I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once, as I ever was )

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Neither shalt thou desire thy neighbour's wife, neither shalt thou covet thy neighbour's house, his field, or his manservant, or his maidservant, his ox, or his ass, or any thing that is thy neighbour's.