Previous   Next

Do you believe in extra-terrestrial life?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 18, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, it seems a little uppity to assume that we’re the only ones.”

“Kind of. I’m afraid of the unknown so there has to be something out there.”

“Unquestionably. The only reason we haven’t seen them yet is because they are smart enough to know we aren’t worth visiting yet.”

“Yeah. I don’t see why the cosmos should be so large and have this be the only place like this.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 1 month ago

Of course I do. I sit here before you, the product of elements created in the bowels . . . er, the hearts of distant stars, long since ripped apart by the forces of the universe.Like the billions if not trillions of life forms that exist today and in the past here on earth, why can't the same or similar circumstances for life in some form have occurred elsewhere. Hell, we might even find we are a faulty product, assembled late on the last day of the work week. . .

Bill Lee 4 years, 1 month ago

I believe in the possiblity, but I have yet to see the reality.

LogicMan 4 years, 1 month ago

Do I?

Being stuck here on Earth for so long now, "extra-terrestrial" isn't quite accurate.

Still looking for the parts and a good mechanic for the starship.

denak 4 years, 1 month ago

I think there is extra-terrestrial life but I don't think it is as evolved as we imagine. I think it probably runs the gamut from one cell organisms to possibly "humanoid" type creatures. I don't know but there are other solar systems that probably can sustain life.

I don't believe we have been visited by any of them though.

Dena

KyleXY 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes. You Earth people are quite delicious.

ms_canada 4 years, 1 month ago

Not really, if there are other life forms out there, they are so far away that I sure don't worry about it. We have enough crap here on Planet Earth to worry about. This earthly human race is so darned ignorant and screwed up that in all of our history we have yet to learn how to live in peace and harmony with one another. Never mind way out there, just figure out how to love your neighbour as yourself. If you don't love yourself you surely can't love anyone else. Maybe that is out collective problem, we don't think enough of ourselves.

ms_canada 4 years, 1 month ago

Just got home from church and the message today was about poverty in the world. The scripture passage about loving others as yourself was quoted. Jesus was asked what the greatest commandment is and he said, Love the Lord your God with all your heart and soul and mind and the second is to love your neighbour as yourself. The question becomes, Who is my neighbour??? For the Samaritan it was the injured man on the side of the road. For me, for many years, it was Marcelino, a poor young lad in La Paz, Bolivia whose whole family benefited from my love in the form of $$$ through Foster Parents Plan of Canada.

50YearResident 4 years, 1 month ago

Isn't that how human life started here on earth? Extra-terrestrials started the colonies here a few thousand years ago and they come back from time to time to check the progress being made.

Liberty275 4 years, 1 month ago

How many roads must a man travel down?

ms_canada 4 years, 1 month ago

prospector - you speak truth. I sometimes think that a better phrase than love yourself would be respect yourself. I think that selfishness does not involve respect of self. There is never love involved in greed. See my reply to RI above.

kernal 4 years, 1 month ago

Only if we keep their litter boxes clean and do their bidding!

kantubek 4 years, 1 month ago

so the fact that we came to be in existence isn't enough proof to you that there is a possibility elsewhere? oh, but you probably wouldn't believe in evolution anyway.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 1 month ago

Not really. But I carry a towel with me just in case.

kantubek 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey, nice try, too bad the possibility of life elsewhere is falsifiable unlike true religions that claim things untestable by empirical science. You can keep believing your fairy tales while I search the cosmos.

kantubek 4 years, 1 month ago

Our existence alone is proof enough to me that life is possible anywhere in the universe. Nice try again with lumping sci-fi into your argument, too bad it has nothing to do with this conversation and only commits a fallacy of reason.

Liberty275 4 years, 1 month ago

It's all about statistics, not blind faith. Besides, aliens don't want 10% of my paycheck so I can afford to believe in them.

ms_canada 4 years, 1 month ago

I hope I will be forgiven for preaching a bit. About this love of self, I feel I must add to that and explain what I think Jesus meant and what I mean. By love of self I mean a person who truly respects himself, likes what is he and what he has been given in life. That person is satisfied with what he has and is not contantly trying to make himself feel better and more worthy by acquiring more STUFF. "Oh if I just have a new car, I will be more worthy of respect" No, no, no, it does not work that way. A person who is truly comfortable in his own skin, is a person who respects and cares for others in the same way. Loving yourself is not a selfish thing. Love of self is the opposite of self loathing and disgust. I encountered plenty of those kinds of people as a psychiatric nurse. I have a little plaque on my wall that says, "Who you are is God's gift to you, what you make of yourself is your gift to God."

beatrice 4 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I believe life is out there. I also believe that no extra-terrestrial life has ever visited our little planet. Imagine, traveling light years just to give an anal probe to a farmer in Nebraska and make crop circles in England. Please. If we ever encounter signs of alien life, it will probably be a passing shot, like Rendevous with Rama. Why would other beings possibly want to take an interest in us?

Liberty275 4 years, 1 month ago

It would be arrogant and dumb to not believe life exists on billions of planets other than Earth. Besides, Dennis Kucinich say's he saw a spaceship, but we all know he was the one driving it.

whatadrag 4 years, 1 month ago

how narrow of you to think there are only billions of other planets

workinghard 4 years, 1 month ago

And then we always thought the cat was inhabited by an alien cat, we finally managed to get this picture http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/funny-pictures-alien-cat-exits-stomach.jpg

workinghard 4 years, 1 month ago

Ok, I knew there was some weird people out there and then I find this website http://www.alienvideo.net/. These are true believers, you can even sign up to receive new alien video alerts : ALIEN ALERT When the next alien footage is leaked be the first to see it.

Enter your Email to receive instant alerts:

Romans832 4 years, 1 month ago

Webster defines an extra-terrestrial as something "originating, existing, or occurring outside the earth or its atmosphere." Yes, I believe in extra-terrestrials who take the form of demons and angels.

ms_canada 4 years, 1 month ago

OK there you go romans832 yes, I never thought of demons and angels are being extra terrestrials but I guess you are right. I DO believe in demons and angels.

igby 4 years, 1 month ago

They have been here for ever. They travel in small balls of light energy that's not seen by most all humans. They are ruled by the god of the hour, day, moon, Sun and Orion. They travel in a straight line from east to west and cover from North to South Poles. They feed on human flesh and suck their soma from the ground, water and air. Your feet are split open your heal is bruised and the ground and you are one in nature. You are connected to the ground and the gods never even touch you but eat your flesh every hour upon hour until your dead and rotting from their passing. This is the law of death and sin. You are their feast and even after death, they continue to eat your bones until you are ground into powder and made dust. You'll talk out of the dust of the ground and cry a song of sorrow. For these gods feed and they carry off your virtue for the nursing of suckling lesser gods and demons of lesser rank.

The high god leads the charge and grinds the bones of the cosmic host into soma wet and flowing and the soma flows from the host into earth. The soma is the flowing of waters and soma is the vitamin of nature. Blessed are the young and the old have lost their grip, The same soma do they sip, not much hear nor there but young and old do share. The young burn quickly like thin candles and make quick food for higher gods of great hunger, raging beast of prey, hunting for the weak and careless. Death unloads the virtue of life quickly for fast food.

When the soma stops to flow, the gods will eat you with such ferocity and speed that not one will stop to unloosen their shoe for the feast. They will eat their children, their many children born in their house and marked for the slaughter.

Who will stop the rain? Who will call the gods to feast on the last drops of food? Denying them their food, will they not eat their way to it?

Have you sworn an oath unto death. Have you been promised a place in a burning tower for a lie. Does not your own serpent feed you to his or her kind that are in the wind of the passing wave. How can one escape this terrible mass of terror. You cannot see it because if you did you would remember the pain and wail yourself on the ground. Each generation is given a stronger dose of the drug to hid the pain and it tells. It tells in the violence, wars, sickness and in the heaths of men.

Who will measure the hearts of men? Will man be less than a beast? Will man hold on to a soul that curses him or let it go? How will you stop the gods from their feast? Will they go hungry for a small offering? No! They will feast until you are consumed. The will take the spoil to the store house.

Mike Edson 4 years, 1 month ago

Exterrestrials have not come to earth because they do not know we are here. Think of it as finding an ant colony thriving under a piece of dried tree bark. It wasn't until you knew the ants were there that you decided to disturb their civilization.

spiff 4 years, 1 month ago

Forever is really big. Our frame of reference is far too small.

whatadrag 4 years, 1 month ago

humans don't understand this

ralphralph 4 years, 1 month ago

Life elsewhere? Can't rule it out, but haven't seen any yet :)

Kontum1972 4 years, 1 month ago

they have death rays.....ZAP!

whatadrag 4 years, 1 month ago

There's 'life' out there, but none of it within any reasonable range, especially at this time.

JJE007 4 years, 1 month ago

I will never believe in extraterrestrials until they send at least one of their progeny down here so that we can kill it and thereby live forever...um...kinda like when some Jewish people killed that kid...well...temporarily killed...so that hesheit could be magically reborn as a Christian savior...um...and then, by the grace of church services, remind us of a that great (vampire of?) love every time we drink the blood and eat the flesh...um...while remaining good, green, vegetarian socialists!~) ?~0

SLOPOKE 4 years ago

I do. I also believe they have been here a real long t i m e .. At age 12 to 15, MYbrother and sister witnessed somthing, from way, far away from here. At the time we lived Woodland Park, Colo. the Base of Pikes Peak. Cheyenne Mt. area..From what we saw and experienced, late one eve. was the begining of my search for matieral on the subject. The 1st. book I read was Chairott's of the God's, and on, on. I ask myself what would alien's want here.. At one point, I thought of the humane race as to alien's,what Black Angus was to the humane race...----Then I figured out that idea, was the leader of the backward's race.. It was at that point I figured out that I was totally nuts.AAH!! Then I learned that earth's greatest resourse, was water,water is what is being a protected resoure...And people,(most people) take it for granted, So YES I BELIEVE IT IS BEING CLOSLEY WATCHED OVER...!!!???