Previous   Next

What is the worst fashion trend you participated in?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 17, 2010

Browse the archives

“The thing that comes to my mind first is the men with big hair days in the late ‘80s. I had bad long hair.”

“When I was little I used to wear a visor backwards and upside down. That would probably be the worst one.”

“The mullet. And remember when they used to fold the pants up into each other? Yeah, I did that. I’m not embarrassed at all.”

“The high side ponytail back in the ‘90s with the bows.”

Comments

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

Pink dress shirt

pajamas as day wear

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

oh man, taps on shoes!

you was bad!

geoismeo 3 years, 9 months ago

I had taps on my shoes. When I rode my motorcycle at night I could create a shower of sparks by sliding my heels along the pavement.

fancy80 3 years, 9 months ago

In jr. high I had my double zipper jeans. Instead of one zipper in the middle, there was a zipper on each side about three inches left and right of the belly button. In the mid eighties, my uncle was in Korea and was able to get every color of Member's Only jackets made. My mom, my brother and I all shared them. My favorite was the white one, worn over a hawaiian shirt, with jeans and cowboy boots. And I had my hair cut like Pat Benatar. I am cringing now, at the thought of it. What was I thinking????

overplayedhistory 3 years, 9 months ago

Not sure but I don't think I saw acid washed jeans listed yet, or highlighted (frosted) hair. Not sure how that is possible.

CreatureComforts 3 years, 9 months ago

I think 90% of women today should say "big sunglasses"

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 9 months ago

Back in the late 90's my GF's daughter, who was in HS, came out to go to school dressed in men's hounds tooth checked plaid polyester pants, on backwards and zipped up the back, and the chunkiest, ugliest black men's dress shoes I have ever seen. This was apparently the latest fashion trend for girls at her high school. I thought it was worse than the fad my middle daughter went through when she was in HS in the early nineties where everybody wore flannel PJs (preferably E-Sleep) to school.

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

plaid sport coat and a pink carnation

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 9 months ago

Parachute pants, red leather jacket with a ton of zippers in front ala Michael Jackson. I remember after MJ did the moonwalk during the VMAs everyone in class the next two weeks were trying to moonwalk everywhere they went.

Turn in your homework? Moonwalk up to her desk. Get in line for recess? Moonwalk to the door.

Ahh... 5th grade. Such memories.

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

cuff the bluejeans with white socks

yankeevet 3 years, 9 months ago

Combat helmet in southeast asia.........ashau valley

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

Roe probably wore a Banlon shirt

kernal 3 years, 9 months ago

The dumbest fashion is the current one of pants that won't stay up. Saw some fool trying to walk, eat and hold up his pants at the same time a few weeks ago. What do they do if they have to run?

Machiavelli_mania 3 years, 9 months ago

I think cell phones are the worst fashion I have seen so far.

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

billfold chains

chains on boots

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

fruit loops? anybody get yours?

Machiavelli_mania 3 years, 9 months ago

shoes

the world would be better without shoes.

lol

RATM 3 years, 9 months ago

Silk shirts (man blouses) and pleated stone washed jeans. See AC Slater Saved by the Bell.

RATM 3 years, 9 months ago

bearded_gnome 3 years, 9 months ago

polyester shirts, scratch, scratch.

---yep, really bad over d---d poly pants!

sweat...sweat. makes me cringe thinking of that combo on a day like today!

hey, wearing a beard is a commitment.
don't start if you can't stick with it.

I shave nothing.

RI, you could take some milk cartons and pretend to be a very slow and careful milkman there?

Boosh 3 years, 9 months ago

I read this and couldn't help but think of that sank4ever hullabaloo you guys had back in the day, wish I'd been here for that one :0

1029 3 years, 9 months ago

The sweater vest with no shirt underneath.

Boosh 3 years, 9 months ago

Corduroys...still wear on cold days :)

schwick....schwick....schwick....schwick....schwick

Chris Bohling 3 years, 9 months ago

I remember when I was in junior high China flats were all the rage amongst us 13-year-old rebels though. I never actually bought any though because I thought they were really uncomfortable.

I have muttonchops now. Is that a bad trend?

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm pretty sure Autie wore Earth shoes

Cait McKnelly 3 years, 9 months ago

My girlfriend saw a leisure suit and commented, "I wonder how many polyesters died to make that?" I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. I wore polyester pant suits when I was in high school. It was the only pants that girls were allowed to wear and they had to have a matching top from the same material. I despised them and took to wearing "granny" or "prairie" type dresses in protest. They couldn't say anything because they met the dress code for dresses; I was completely covered and the hem hit the knee or below lol. I started a couple of fads. In high school I started wearing cameos (I had several) on black velvet ribbon tied around the neck. Very 1800's. Other girls liked the look and started doing the same. In the '80's I started a fad of wearing jean skirts over nightgowns. Walmart had these really pretty white, cotton/linen nightgowns that had ruffled bottoms and lacy ruffly tops. They weren't sleazy fake satin things. I put a jean skirt over one and the ruffle at the bottom of the gown peeked out and looked cuter than all get out. Wore it to a club I frequented and the next weekend I went half the women there were wearing the same thing.

jackbinkelman 3 years, 9 months ago

skinny jeans and they'rrrrrrre bacck! Also, just watched part of "Foxes" on broadcast t.v., great do's and duds in that one.

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

70's bell bottoms and polyester. I ignored the 80's preppy look on campus.
Just got back from the pool, dang it is hot. I hope I quit sweating by September.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

prospector, I just ask the chicks if they know where the jaternice is...

Pywacket 3 years, 9 months ago

Haha. The worst? How much time do you have? I graduated from high school in 1975. Oh, the horror.

pizzapete 3 years, 9 months ago

polyester shirts, scratch, scratch.

GardenMomma 3 years, 9 months ago

80's headbands and leg warmers.

Linda Hanney 3 years, 9 months ago

I must be the oldest one in this discussion because no one has mentioned the DA or duck tail hair style probably from Elvis.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

yes Mr. Irreverent. Most uncomfortable outside. Which reminds me I need to go dig up another $7.50 so I can go get a big bottle of gin.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Too damn hot.

I am going to go hang out by the lean-in frozen food bins at the grocery store. If you see the bald creepy guy just hanging out by the bins, wave Hi. (It's not distracting like when a crossing guard gives a friendly wave)

blindrabbit 3 years, 9 months ago

Gold chains neckless (for men) out!! Not in South Philly, popular as ever!!!

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

Dingo boots, far out man! bleeding madras shirt beads and feathers zoot suit mohawk haircut wrinkled look tight jeans Beatle boots fringed leather jacket surfers curve desert boots sandles toe socks underwear worn on the outside wife beater t-shirt football jersey gold chain neckless (the bigger the badder) hair implants on chest (to accentuate the gold chain) waxing

blindrabbit 3 years, 9 months ago

Early 70's: Leasure Suits, and Moon Boots

pal00kaville 3 years, 9 months ago

Flying V collars, Layered hair, parted in the middle (so much conformity), Dingo boots (Desert boots also), Print disco shirts (spaceships and whatever else), Parachute pants, Acid Wash, Striped Addidas (back again), Chess King etc. Space Clothing anything, Friendship bracelets, (and for the ladies) Dorothy Hamill haircuts, Gauchos, and Calico. Avoided: Bill Cosby sweaters.

dajudge 3 years, 9 months ago

streaking, with no clothes on at all. and, chokers and head-bands. fringe moccasins

ms_canada 3 years, 9 months ago

tomato grower - I agree, the mini-skirt. But also think that following a fashion trend no matter what you look like has got to be the height of stupidity. We had a job applicant for our company once. She was on the heavy side, had on a mini that was sooo short that when she sat down she had to keep her hand between her legs to cover her crotch. hmmmm did she get the job? what the heck do you think. You have nice long legs? sure go for the mini, but not too mini.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

Wasn't ever a clothes issue. I guess it was the undercut haircut, where you had long hair on top and shaved the underneath part.

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

Tragic. My thoughts for the kids on the school bus.

I_Bejewel 3 years, 9 months ago

Cordouroy jeans in the 70's (but mom still dressed me then, so I blame her for that one). Big bangs and tight-rolled jeans in the 80's. And when I say big, I swear I had the biggest hair out of anyone I knew. Lots of hairspray.

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

For me, mini skirts. Even when I was a sweet, young, firm skinny thing, I had ugly knees. Inherited them from my father, I think. With age and gravity, they are even uglier. Long skirts and pants for me. And jeans. Denim is a wonderful thing. Long live jeans.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

fashion? blue jeans/work shirt/boots in the 70's.....blue jeans/work shirt/boots today.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

Double knit leisure suits, oh, the humanity.....

edjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Punk rock and I cut my hair in several directions.

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

I have never been a slave to fashion. The Free State Brewery apparel will always be hip.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 9 months ago

Most definitely back in the early '80's, flipping up the collar on your Izod shirt.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Key parties, swinging, and all the reckless sex before Herpes, AIDS, and Sexual Harassment(Thank you Anitas-Hill&Bryant).

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I've never done the facial hair thing, but how about the 70's beard? "The Joy of Sex" has a lot of drawings of really hairy men with beards.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I bet Lindsey is really PC. She probably has a lot of HR issues to deal with.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I used to do the Hustle at the Carriage Lamp. I was in 5th Grade.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

Platform shoes in the disco era. I always wanted to be taller, but that wasn't the way to do it.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

In the 70's it was huge bell bottoms and gross little track shoes. Mid eighties I think I helped bring back the flat top. Late eighties I tried to rock a mullet and then a rat tail. Also wretched space suit looking jackets. And I definitely pegged my jeans and pants. Even tried the MC Hammer look. I would still do all of those over Political Correctness.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

January 1,1960 through December 31,1969. Bell bottoms, Nehru jackets, paisley prints. Sandals, hair, tie dye. Everybody looking the same while trying to express their individuality. Oh, wait! Sounds like Lawrence today! Never mind . . .