Previous   Next

What is the worst fashion trend you participated in?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 17, 2010

Browse the archives

“The thing that comes to my mind first is the men with big hair days in the late ‘80s. I had bad long hair.”

“When I was little I used to wear a visor backwards and upside down. That would probably be the worst one.”

“The mullet. And remember when they used to fold the pants up into each other? Yeah, I did that. I’m not embarrassed at all.”

“The high side ponytail back in the ‘90s with the bows.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

January 1,1960 through December 31,1969. Bell bottoms, Nehru jackets, paisley prints. Sandals, hair, tie dye. Everybody looking the same while trying to express their individuality. Oh, wait! Sounds like Lawrence today! Never mind . . .

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

Your dates are way off. None of the items you mention were around in the first half of the sixties. Most weren't until around 1967. I had the first bellbottoms in Lawrence, and had to make them myself in the KU Theater's costume shop because no stores carried them yet. That was in 1968. I agree about the continuing effort to be an individual by looking like everyone else. That's been true for centuries, and probably always will be.

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

Misterlee, I think your date is about a year off; I moved here in 1967 and had been wearing bell bottoms before then. Roe, in 1960 we weren't even wearing mini-skirts yet. I think the Ben Casey shirts became popular around 1962; maybe that's what you're remembering instead of the Nehru jackets which came along qround 1965. In the early 60's, before Beatlemania, it was high water pants for the guys, mini-skirts banned from the schools and lots of Madras.

davidsmom 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow. I remember wearing ALL of those. Oh, and don't forget the fringed suede moccasins and fringed suede belts.

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

And my favorite, the fringed and beaded vest!

Liberty275 4 years, 5 months ago

LOL.. The hippies were the 60s version of goths. Everyone was trying so hard to be individual they ended up looking, acting and thinking exactly the same as everyone else..

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

As far as looking like each other, they always tried to improve on it. Actually, I disagree that they all acted and thought exactly alike. The media made them out to be something they weren't, then the younger ones became the media hype and it was all down hill from there.

Liberty275 4 years, 5 months ago

The hippies today all think and act the same. They dress different from each other because the thrift store doesn't usually carry more than one of anything.

Its Ok that the goths of today are all the same because most of the girls are pretty hot. Looks will take a goth girl a long way. Looks will also take a hippie girl a long way if she remembers to shave.

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

Aren't you just a bitter little person. Upset because people aren't just like you. boo hoo

devobrun 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeh, tange. All fashion is lemming-like. I wear what I can buy, that fits and is appropriate for the weather. Sometimes I wear things that are appropriate for the occasion, but my wife picks those out. I have been known to have and wear clothes for 2 years and not know that I have them. She who is to be obeyed says: "Go into the closet and grab the green shirt that you wore last weekend"

And I have no idea what she is talking about. Furthermore, I am sorta color blind and the closet is kinda dark, so I come out with a blue shirt.

I don't notice clothing, mine or anybody else's. It is liberating.

But then freedom, liberty, is not the point of living a good life, eh Brian? Hooray for John Daley.

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

Platform shoes in the disco era. I always wanted to be taller, but that wasn't the way to do it.

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

Equipped with a big collar shirt. (two white doves on back) and the disco dance moves, kinda like square dancing alone

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

note to Lindsey, i stopped beating my wife on June 7, 2003

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

I grew mutton chops in 1968 for the first time. I shaved them off again, as I have many times since, a couple of weeks ago. Facial hair is fun to play with. I've probably done five or six variations over the years.

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

That's a trend I didn't participate in because I thought I was "in love." I have a lot of great memories of women I've loved, but there wasn't anything casual about the relationships. Now it's too late to go chasing women again. Oh, well.

trinity 4 years, 5 months ago

oops and before that...maxi dresses when i was like 10 or 11...i am a late boomer, missed out on some of the finer fashion trends, really. oh hell i probably got in on most all of 'em at one point or another lol...

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

Double knit leisure suits, oh, the humanity.....

riverdrifter 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, hey, I gots me lots of Barbour shirts and several pairs of hi-dollar Nakona's, so I can clean up a little.

tomatogrower 4 years, 5 months ago

For me, mini skirts. Even when I was a sweet, young, firm skinny thing, I had ugly knees. Inherited them from my father, I think. With age and gravity, they are even uglier. Long skirts and pants for me. And jeans. Denim is a wonderful thing. Long live jeans.

I_Bejewel 4 years, 5 months ago

Cordouroy jeans in the 70's (but mom still dressed me then, so I blame her for that one). Big bangs and tight-rolled jeans in the 80's. And when I say big, I swear I had the biggest hair out of anyone I knew. Lots of hairspray.

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

I miss those cords. I had them in several colors...red, yellow, etc.

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

Wasn't ever a clothes issue. I guess it was the undercut haircut, where you had long hair on top and shaved the underneath part.

ms_canada 4 years, 5 months ago

tomato grower - I agree, the mini-skirt. But also think that following a fashion trend no matter what you look like has got to be the height of stupidity. We had a job applicant for our company once. She was on the heavy side, had on a mini that was sooo short that when she sat down she had to keep her hand between her legs to cover her crotch. hmmmm did she get the job? what the heck do you think. You have nice long legs? sure go for the mini, but not too mini.

dajudge 4 years, 5 months ago

streaking, with no clothes on at all. and, chokers and head-bands. fringe moccasins

pal00kaville 4 years, 5 months ago

Flying V collars, Layered hair, parted in the middle (so much conformity), Dingo boots (Desert boots also), Print disco shirts (spaceships and whatever else), Parachute pants, Acid Wash, Striped Addidas (back again), Chess King etc. Space Clothing anything, Friendship bracelets, (and for the ladies) Dorothy Hamill haircuts, Gauchos, and Calico. Avoided: Bill Cosby sweaters.

blindrabbit 4 years, 5 months ago

Early 70's: Leasure Suits, and Moon Boots

independant1 4 years, 5 months ago

Dingo boots, far out man! bleeding madras shirt beads and feathers zoot suit mohawk haircut wrinkled look tight jeans Beatle boots fringed leather jacket surfers curve desert boots sandles toe socks underwear worn on the outside wife beater t-shirt football jersey gold chain neckless (the bigger the badder) hair implants on chest (to accentuate the gold chain) waxing

blindrabbit 4 years, 5 months ago

Gold chains neckless (for men) out!! Not in South Philly, popular as ever!!!

Linda Hanney 4 years, 5 months ago

I must be the oldest one in this discussion because no one has mentioned the DA or duck tail hair style probably from Elvis.

tomatogrower 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh god, I remember when I was in junior high, there was a high school student with a DA. All the girls thought he was cute, and he was one of the bad boys. I just thought he looked like he got his hair cut by a drunk barber. I don't think he ever grew out of being a "bad boy". He was quite the alcoholic last I heard.

grammaddy 4 years, 5 months ago

And I was just about to say poodle skirt and saddle oxfords...

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

yep, I have underwear older than Pywacket!

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 5 months ago

My girlfriend saw a leisure suit and commented, "I wonder how many polyesters died to make that?" I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants. I wore polyester pant suits when I was in high school. It was the only pants that girls were allowed to wear and they had to have a matching top from the same material. I despised them and took to wearing "granny" or "prairie" type dresses in protest. They couldn't say anything because they met the dress code for dresses; I was completely covered and the hem hit the knee or below lol. I started a couple of fads. In high school I started wearing cameos (I had several) on black velvet ribbon tied around the neck. Very 1800's. Other girls liked the look and started doing the same. In the '80's I started a fad of wearing jean skirts over nightgowns. Walmart had these really pretty white, cotton/linen nightgowns that had ruffled bottoms and lacy ruffly tops. They weren't sleazy fake satin things. I put a jean skirt over one and the ruffle at the bottom of the gown peeked out and looked cuter than all get out. Wore it to a club I frequented and the next weekend I went half the women there were wearing the same thing.

fancy80 4 years, 5 months ago

I had a pair of Earth Shoes in like, 6th grade, and I have a pair now. You can still buy them. Love them!!!

Chris Bohling 4 years, 5 months ago

I remember when I was in junior high China flats were all the rage amongst us 13-year-old rebels though. I never actually bought any though because I thought they were really uncomfortable.

I have muttonchops now. Is that a bad trend?

Boosh 4 years, 5 months ago

Corduroys...still wear on cold days :)

schwick....schwick....schwick....schwick....schwick

1029 4 years, 5 months ago

The sweater vest with no shirt underneath.

Boosh 4 years, 5 months ago

I read this and couldn't help but think of that sank4ever hullabaloo you guys had back in the day, wish I'd been here for that one :0

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Glad the kids are okay, but she deserves us!

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh my. That one's worth a post on Facebook.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 5 months ago

polyester shirts, scratch, scratch.

---yep, really bad over d---d poly pants!

sweat...sweat. makes me cringe thinking of that combo on a day like today!

hey, wearing a beard is a commitment.
don't start if you can't stick with it.

I shave nothing.

RI, you could take some milk cartons and pretend to be a very slow and careful milkman there?

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 5 months ago

This. My first grade school pic I'm in a pixie. It looks more like my mother slapped a bowl on my head.

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

The dumbest fashion is the current one of pants that won't stay up. Saw some fool trying to walk, eat and hold up his pants at the same time a few weeks ago. What do they do if they have to run?

yankeevet 4 years, 5 months ago

Combat helmet in southeast asia.........ashau valley

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 5 months ago

Back in the late 90's my GF's daughter, who was in HS, came out to go to school dressed in men's hounds tooth checked plaid polyester pants, on backwards and zipped up the back, and the chunkiest, ugliest black men's dress shoes I have ever seen. This was apparently the latest fashion trend for girls at her high school. I thought it was worse than the fad my middle daughter went through when she was in HS in the early nineties where everybody wore flannel PJs (preferably E-Sleep) to school.

CreatureComforts 4 years, 5 months ago

I think 90% of women today should say "big sunglasses"

fancy80 4 years, 5 months ago

In jr. high I had my double zipper jeans. Instead of one zipper in the middle, there was a zipper on each side about three inches left and right of the belly button. In the mid eighties, my uncle was in Korea and was able to get every color of Member's Only jackets made. My mom, my brother and I all shared them. My favorite was the white one, worn over a hawaiian shirt, with jeans and cowboy boots. And I had my hair cut like Pat Benatar. I am cringing now, at the thought of it. What was I thinking????

geoismeo 4 years, 5 months ago

I had taps on my shoes. When I rode my motorcycle at night I could create a shower of sparks by sliding my heels along the pavement.