Previous   Next

How do you decorate your office cubicle?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 12, 2010

Browse the archives

“With pictures of my family and my pet.”

“With pictures of my daughter.”

“I decorate it with stacks of articles that I’m reading to write papers.”

“It has a nice plant, some pictures of my lovely family, and the rest of it is filled with stuff.”

Comments

notajayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

The only time I worked in something close to a cubicle (more a work station, kind of like a cubicle without walls), I didn't bother decorating. It was in an area of the hospital off-limits to patients (I did most of my work on the patient units) and I avoided it myself as much as possible. As it was in an interior part of the building, though, some of us put up pictures of windows.

My current office is a mix of nautical decor and pictures my children have drawn/painted/whatever.

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

With silver bells, and cockle shells, and... ( waitminute.... )

consumer1 3 years, 9 months ago

With chocolate frosting and sprinkles.

whats_going_on 3 years, 9 months ago

Right now, it's decorated with stacks of paper and crap I haven't gotten to work on yet. And pictures of the bf and I, family, an Aflac duck, and a Snoopy "Typical Work Week" cartoon. (http://www.prashantmhatre.com/fun/typical-work-week.jpg)

whatadrag 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm never in a cubicle, just my ferrari on K-10

AnnaUndercover 3 years, 9 months ago

I am so glad I don't work in a cubicle anymore.

riverdrifter 3 years, 9 months ago

If anybody here catches me working in an office cublicle (again), they are given license to shoot me on sight (site).

greasyncheesy 3 years, 9 months ago

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

Left out the most important item in my office.

Cheap Walmart fake crystal candy dish with individually wrapped chocolate candy.

The addicts are hard to take but like the traffic and it is a safety valve for the doldrums folks get themselves into.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

I gots a whole office really. I got my daughter's picture times four. Two paintings she did in high school. A portrait of GAC,.....and a picture of a dead armadillo with the highway white line painted over it. A couple of jayhawks here and there...and stacks of papers..the usual stuff.

calwt262 3 years, 9 months ago

The cubicle is essentially a public toilet that is lacking a stall door...everyone can peek in and see your $#@!, or see you $#@!. To keep yourself entertained you should invite strangers into your cubicle to write offensive and entertaining graffiti on the walls.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

When and if I get a cube, I'm thinking Demotivator posters. Right now I wish I had a cube.

Pywacket 3 years, 9 months ago

Never stopped to analyze it before, but when I had a cubicle, my actual work was interesting, clients were wonderful, but the company itself sucked and had lousy bennies. Crucial decisions were left to a gaggle of middle-management, paranoid control freaks who survived by cutting each others' throats in departmental turf wars and throwing bright underlings into the volcano as peace offerings--or for fear they would rise and displace one of the hags.

On any given day, you would usually encounter at least one person in tears. Mid.man. routinely took credit for ideas and accomplishments of "lesser beings" and never thanked them for saving the company's a$$ when some spectacular m-m error led to the brink of disaster. I covered my cube walls with weird photos & postcards, wild calendars, crazy found items, etc. I had toys and gadgets on my desk.

Fast forward a few years: part-time work for wonderful people, a boss I like and respect, a board of directors who listen to the staff and implement suggestions. People own up to their own mistakes, give credit where due, and praise accomplishments. I have a real office suite, with kitchenette, storage closet, and a huge window. What do I put on the walls and desk? Hardly a thing except maps, diagrams, & a calendar. Day planner & work tools on the desk. Hmmm...

Now that I think about it, I suppose in the previous job I was trying to keep from succumbing to the toxic environment and to make my cube my own little slice of fun and sanity in a horribly disfunctional setting. No need to do that with subsequent job. Now I'm wondering if others cope in a similar way.

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

I actually must share my cubeecal, and let me tell ya, it's cog-eat-cog...

1029 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, it's not a cubicle, but I've filled it up with a bunch of plants. And some old posters. I thought about getting a couch, but I figured that would lead to all my co-workers wanting to come in and hang out all the time.

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

Didn't Charles sing with Peter,Paul and Mary?

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey, has anyone heard of or worked for Great Plains Distribution? Can't find much info on Google.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Wait, I did keep a bottle of homemade whiskey in my drawer at one job. One time I made a really strong batch and ended up vomiting all over my monitor. I mean I hurled! I think I got fired. I don't remember.

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh wait. I lied. Looking around my desk....I have a brochure for a resort I'm going to in January taped to the wall to look at longingly on hard days.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I once worked near a woman who had the following in her cube: -A cuckoo clock -6-10 8x10 photos of her family -4-5 big thick family photo albums -A bunch of Precious Moments figurines -Tons of bags of potato chips and cookies -A thick blanket draped over her chair -A deck of cards for playing solitaire while she was taking calls The thing is, she was up walking around chatting more than she was in her cube. She got canned. I think she had to bring a UHAUL to get her stuff outta there.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I've had cubes before. I decorate mine with one pen and one notepad. That way when I inevitably get fired I can just truck on out of there. No cardbord box from the storeroom for me. A certain govt. contractor/call center here in town keeps tons of boxes on hand. Besides, I know what my wife and family look like, I know I'll be seeing them in a matter of hours so who the hell cares. Once, only once, did I tack up an ad for Bob Dylan's upcoming "Together Through Life" album. And then it sucked when it came out.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

You got it, Bob. The cubicle is an '80's idea gone terribly wrong. I think the idea is based on the cattle pen. How insulting and demeaning to be shoved into a 4'x5' hole with short acoustic walls. There are some things I just won't tolerate anymore.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

hahahahahaha. You sleep at all last night? How hard was to keep from laughing for that photo? XD

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't work in a cubicle, thank god.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

You're thinking cuticle, autie which can be a real pain if bitten or torn off. :). ( that first person takes a great photo and I'm adding to my cubicle)

I've a home cubicle as well, like Roe, and I have my favorite photos from when my son and daughter were quite young and still could be photographed sitting next to each other.

I'm thrilled to say I now have several Poe items to add to the decor. A Poe mousepad, coffee cup, bookmark - and that would be me in the tee shirt adorned with the Raven!

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

cubicle? is that like whack a mole?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

Cubicles are just another way the Man keeps you down.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

With the skulls of my former enemies.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

The only decorations in my home office corner are on my computer screen. I've only been here six months, so I'm still in the organization stage.

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't have a cubicle, but I've always refused to put personal stuff on my desk. I claim that it is just less to take with you when you leave. But I've been at this job for 10+ years and still say it.

Though I do have a paperclip collection.

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

1 dead plant 1 empty coffee mug 1 family photo 1005 yellow sticky pad notes

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Ah, the comfort of a home office! As I look around me I see pictures of my children, my grand daughter, my wife, and the dog. An empty beer bottle from yesterday (or was it the day before?), the dog and cat asleep on opposite ends of the sofa.A cork board with bits of paper tacked to it, each with a phone number or email address I have no recollection of who or why I put there. Furniture that has been replaced elsewhere in the house but not ready to be hauled away.

And a note from Mrs Roe to clean this mess up . . .

Donnuts 3 years, 9 months ago

I decorate it with pictures of artwork I have made in my spare time and do get comments on them as people walk by or come over to work on stuff. I even have a picture of my step child that I also did a adobe illustrator version of next to it. Then a picture of our dog.