Previous   Next

It’s the 50th anniversary of “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Have you read it?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 11, 2010

Browse the archives

“I know about the book, but I have not read it. I was thinking about reading it after reading about the 50th anniversary.”

“Yes, I read it as a young adult.”

“I watched the movie, but I would read it.”

“I haven’t read that in probably 45 years. I read it junior high or high school.”

Comments

grammaddy 3 years, 9 months ago

It was required reading in high school. Whatever happened to "required reading", it's time to bring it back.

labmonkey 3 years, 9 months ago

"Books are useless! I only ever read one book, To Kill A Mockingbird, and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin . . . but what good does that do me?" -Homer Simpson

Irene 3 years, 9 months ago

It's on of my top ten list of favorite books; also movie list. Love Gregory Peck in any film! The kids' parts are even more amazing when you watch it realizing they had no experience--at least Scout and Jem. Dill had a little. That shows a great director. There's a new book out for the 50th anniversary which I haven't read yet, but Tom Brokaw has a piece in it. I read Brokaw's part at The Daily Beast. The book is Scout, Atticus, and Boo : A Celebration of Fifty Years of To Kill a Mockingbird.

tomatogrower 3 years, 9 months ago

One of my favorites - book and movie. Gregory Peck as Atticus, my kind of man. Actually Atticus is my kind of man, and Peck adds the looks.

camper 3 years, 9 months ago

10th grade reading assignment. One of the best books I've ever read. Also remember reading Alas Babylon that same year. Another good one I remember. I think these books can make ones re-read list. I read Huck Finn for the second time and it was just like new. I got even more enjoyment.

kernal 3 years, 9 months ago

Read it in junior high and time to read it again. The movie is one of the all time greats.

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

A literary favorite of mine. ( I watch it with subtitles on. )

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

Read the book, saw the movie. Not bad. Needed a car chase.

Leslie Swearingen 3 years, 9 months ago

I have read the book several times. I identified with Scout.

bkreed1960 3 years, 9 months ago

I've read the book and watched the movie so many times I've lost count.

Robert Rauktis 3 years, 9 months ago

Have USD 497 read it. It might lend some judgment.

H_Lecter 3 years, 9 months ago

Well, Jim! If you liked the soul tree, you'll enjoy reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I'm sure you could make better figurines of Jem & Scout from glass. You'll have to come for dinner. (The scrambled fetal pig brains are delectably fresh)

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

Dill rocks? He should have died of shame for dressing the way he did. Robert Duvall is Tom Hayden or Gus McCray....I can't get him in my mind other that that....oh, except listening to Wagner music while riding in helipcopters over a coastal village...

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I like Robert Duvall better in "Tender Mercies".

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad they asked Arlo Guthrie. Favorite movie of all time. I've seen it about 30 times. Read the book in HS. Dill rocks. He was also on an episode of the original Star Trek. Jack Lemmon, probably my favorite actor, was nominated for an Oscar the same year for "Days of Wine and Roses", a biographical film for me. Gregory Peck was the only actor that year that deserved it more.

cato_the_elder 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, it was Robert Duvall's first credited film role. I've read the novel multiple times. It's a masterpiece in depicting American Southern culture of that era.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

way back a long time ago, In high school I reckon. Saw that movie many times though. that there was the first movie Robert Duvall was in....so they tell me.

nobody1793 3 years, 9 months ago

I've even read it in the original Latin.

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe I should read it. I realized that I didn't read it in high school because it was one that I missed out on when I was kicked out of the honors English program for bad spelling. Apparently I'm still bitter about that 20+ years later.

trinity 3 years, 9 months ago

indeed i have read it...several times.

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

I had to read it for a class, but that was a long time ago. I don't read much fiction anymore.