Previous   Next

It’s the 50th anniversary of “To Kill a Mockingbird.” Have you read it?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 11, 2010

Browse the archives

“I know about the book, but I have not read it. I was thinking about reading it after reading about the 50th anniversary.”

“Yes, I read it as a young adult.”

“I watched the movie, but I would read it.”

“I haven’t read that in probably 45 years. I read it junior high or high school.”

Comments

Bill Lee 4 years ago

I had to read it for a class, but that was a long time ago. I don't read much fiction anymore.

trinity 4 years ago

indeed i have read it...several times.

nobody1793 4 years ago

I've even read it in the original Latin.

fuel_for_the_fire 4 years ago

Very funny, mostly because there will be people who will believe you.

cato_the_elder 4 years ago

Yes, it was Robert Duvall's first credited film role. I've read the novel multiple times. It's a masterpiece in depicting American Southern culture of that era.

independant1 4 years ago

9th grade english assignment

H_Lecter 4 years ago

Well, Jim! If you liked the soul tree, you'll enjoy reading 'To Kill a Mockingbird'. I'm sure you could make better figurines of Jem & Scout from glass. You'll have to come for dinner. (The scrambled fetal pig brains are delectably fresh)

Robert Rauktis 4 years ago

Have USD 497 read it. It might lend some judgment.

bkreed1960 4 years ago

I've read the book and watched the movie so many times I've lost count.

jaywalker 4 years ago

One of my favorite books.

kernal 4 years ago

Read it in junior high and time to read it again. The movie is one of the all time greats.

camper 4 years ago

10th grade reading assignment. One of the best books I've ever read. Also remember reading Alas Babylon that same year. Another good one I remember. I think these books can make ones re-read list. I read Huck Finn for the second time and it was just like new. I got even more enjoyment.

tomatogrower 4 years ago

One of my favorites - book and movie. Gregory Peck as Atticus, my kind of man. Actually Atticus is my kind of man, and Peck adds the looks.

Irene 4 years ago

It's on of my top ten list of favorite books; also movie list. Love Gregory Peck in any film! The kids' parts are even more amazing when you watch it realizing they had no experience--at least Scout and Jem. Dill had a little. That shows a great director. There's a new book out for the 50th anniversary which I haven't read yet, but Tom Brokaw has a piece in it. I read Brokaw's part at The Daily Beast. The book is Scout, Atticus, and Boo : A Celebration of Fifty Years of To Kill a Mockingbird.

labmonkey 4 years ago

"Books are useless! I only ever read one book, To Kill A Mockingbird, and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin . . . but what good does that do me?" -Homer Simpson

grammaddy 4 years ago

It was required reading in high school. Whatever happened to "required reading", it's time to bring it back.

Cait McKnelly 4 years ago

It's still there. My son had to read several books for Sophomore English. Daughter had to read "The Kite Runner". She was rather appalled by it at first because it dealt with male to male rape but by the time she finished it she loved it.