Previous   Next

When you travel, do you unpack or live out of your suitcase?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 9, 2010

Browse the archives

“If there’s an appropriate place to put it, I’ll unpack it.”

“I live out of it. I just leave it in there and I grab it as I go. It’s easier, and that’s how I’ve always done it.”

“Out of my suitcase. It’s easier. I’m lazy. It depends on the time.”

“I live out of my suitcase; I am an incredibly lazy person.”

Comments

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

I was just making a packing list for a trip next weekend. Is it bad that half of my suitcase is filled with food and booze? I mean, that is no including the cooler...as long as there is still room for about 6 pair of shoes for a 3 night trip, right?

blindrabbit 3 years, 9 months ago

My guess, if your are one who irons their underwear or needs all of the cllothing folds lining up the same direction, you'll un-pack, otherwise not.

Liberty275 3 years, 9 months ago

I have a wife. She unpacks the suitcase.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

I think it's cool the man on the street is getting away for a change.Wonder who is filling in? ;)

George_Braziller 3 years, 9 months ago

If I have dress clothes with me I'll hang them up otherwise everything stays in the suitcase. Three days or three weeks, one carry-on bag is all I ever take with me.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 9 months ago

Who comes up with these stupid questions ? How long will it be before the LJW asks a question such as: Which direction do you wipe your butt, front to back, or back to front ? Which hand do you use to wipe your butt, the right or the left ? How about this one... With which finger are you best able to dig in your nose ? And one just for the ladies... What day of the month does your period most often begin on ?

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

I have nightmares about eating hamburges with Doogie Houser.....

Kelly Johnson 3 years, 9 months ago

If I'm staying more than 1-2 nights, I will unpack. I can't ever seem to get a handle on keeping my house neat, tidy & organized, but a hotel room is much more manageable, so I can pretend for a few days that I'm not a slob.

BABBOY 3 years, 9 months ago

To whoever came up with this question:

Seriously, why do you care?

But, if you must know, I live out of my suitcase if it is over night and might take some stuff out if I am staying longer.

Wow, revealing info .........

riverdrifter 3 years, 9 months ago

Duffle bag. And nobody unpacks a duffle bag. Nobody.

jehovah_bob 3 years, 9 months ago

I live out of a refrigerator box, where ever you travel you can just take your home with you.

consumer1 3 years, 9 months ago

trinity, If we were to take a trip together somplace, and I didn't have enough room in my bag to carry all my stuff. Could I put some of my junk in... well you know?

consumer1 3 years, 9 months ago

Oops sorry no double L in towel.

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

Live out of the luggage.

Harold, Kumar, and T_O_B go to White Castle. Now that would be a good movie. Except for the bowel problems on I-70

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 9 months ago

If it's more than a couple of days, yes. But my wife and I always hang the hanger stuff right away.....and a good idea is to carry that spray wrinkle-remover with you. I know you superstars wanted to know more about me, so here is a bit more. hehe

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Boy, Bethany must be working today. She sure is strict.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree with the towel thing. My favorite shirt is a towel with a hole cut in the middle of it. I just slip it over my head and I'm good to go. Shoes, shirt, service.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

Unpack! It is what seperates us from the barbarians.

trinity 3 years, 9 months ago

no, i don't unpack, i keep my junk in my trunk. :)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

ms_c, Just as a "Slider" is a heck of a lot different than a "Pirate Pak", there is no comparison between White Castle® and White Spot.

ms_canada 3 years, 9 months ago

I gave my suitcases away, only use a couple of carry-ons, and those you have to unpack.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

You can buy the white castle sliders at WalMart grocery....eck..frozen...eckk....

did anyone ever live out of a laundry basket? I think I did that for about ten years.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

I went to a White Castle in Denver after a long night of drinking after a wedding. I pooped my way all the way East on I-70.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

No White Castle® in Wichita anymore. 5 hour drive when you get that cravin...

blindrabbit 3 years, 9 months ago

This is an OCD related question and answer.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

No, a towel has immense psychological value. And I don't think you could handle its awesomeness.

But why is the closest White Castle® in St. Louis? Just thinking about those tender little White Castle burgers with those little, itty-bitty grilled onions that just explode in your mouth like flavor crystals every time you bite into one...

consumer1 3 years, 9 months ago

I dream iof being naked in public, RI, can I borrow your towell?

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

Back before I was contractually obligated to a woman, I used to head out west for three weeks each May. I lived out of my truck until I went hiking and then I lived out of my pack. Suitcases never really suited my traveling needs.

del888 3 years, 9 months ago

Since 3 of the 4 interviewed are out of towners, I wonder if any of them were actually carrying a suitcase. BTW, is it possible to actually get a suit into a suitcase?

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

I just make sure the growlers are put in the refrigerator.

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

I used to live out of a suitcase until my travel partner taught me that unpacking is good...and somehow I unpack their suitcase now too....:\

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Good plan, Jonas. I only have one pair of underwear. I wear one side for 3-4 days, then turn them inside out and wear the other side for a few days. They got out of the house on Mon. I had to chase them down the street.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

I actually don't use a suitcase either. I tend to plan out one outfit for each day that I'm on the road, and then I simply layer each outfit on top of each other. Then, at the beginning of each day, I remove one layer of clothing, kind of like a snake shedding its skin. Whether that layer is the one on the inside or the outside usually depends on whether I spent the day getting dirty (outermost layer) or it was hot and I spent the day getting sweaty (innermost layer). On days that I got both dirty and sweaty, I tend to remove the outermost layer as it is visible, unless I have someone I'll be in close contact with, in which case I remove the two innermost layers, and take the 2nd layer away from my skin and then put that one on over the top, dirty layer.

I've noticed, though, that since the terrorism scare this has gotten a little more troublesome, because my license says that I weigh 175, and with all those layers I appear much closer to 250. Oh well, it still beats using a suitcase. Suitcases were planted on earth by the spies of Hyperandromache VIII, in preparation for the Domo-kun invasion.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I don't have a suitcase. I just throw everything in the trunk of the car, since I live in it a lot of the time anyway. If I fly I just carry a pile of clothes with me and shove them under the seat in front of me. Last time I fell asleep and when I woke up some kid was running up and down the aisle with my underwear.

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

I travel in a suitcase. I'm no dummy.

( waitaminute.... )

Roland Gunslinger 3 years, 9 months ago

Depends on the length of stay.

1-2 days I'll stay with the suitcase. Any longer and it gets unpacked.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Travel? I went to Tonganoxie once. Them foreigners sure do talk funny. It's scary out there, never even unloaded the suitcase.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, ..I do.

Klondike Bar to Courtney. Those dudes are huge.

ruette 3 years, 9 months ago

I like to hang things up! And it's really really annoying when a room I'm paying to stay in doesn't have places to put things! Of course it depends on how long I'm staying, too.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 9 months ago

I live out of my suitcase so that I won't forget anything when it's time to go home.