Previous   Next

When you travel, do you unpack or live out of your suitcase?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 9, 2010

Browse the archives

“If there’s an appropriate place to put it, I’ll unpack it.”

“I live out of it. I just leave it in there and I grab it as I go. It’s easier, and that’s how I’ve always done it.”

“Out of my suitcase. It’s easier. I’m lazy. It depends on the time.”

“I live out of my suitcase; I am an incredibly lazy person.”

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 5 months ago

I live out of my suitcase so that I won't forget anything when it's time to go home.

ruette 4 years, 5 months ago

I like to hang things up! And it's really really annoying when a room I'm paying to stay in doesn't have places to put things! Of course it depends on how long I'm staying, too.

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Travel? I went to Tonganoxie once. Them foreigners sure do talk funny. It's scary out there, never even unloaded the suitcase.

Ron Holzwarth 4 years, 5 months ago

I's a modern and stong replacement for the paper bag. And it has handles!

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

I actually don't use a suitcase either. I tend to plan out one outfit for each day that I'm on the road, and then I simply layer each outfit on top of each other. Then, at the beginning of each day, I remove one layer of clothing, kind of like a snake shedding its skin. Whether that layer is the one on the inside or the outside usually depends on whether I spent the day getting dirty (outermost layer) or it was hot and I spent the day getting sweaty (innermost layer). On days that I got both dirty and sweaty, I tend to remove the outermost layer as it is visible, unless I have someone I'll be in close contact with, in which case I remove the two innermost layers, and take the 2nd layer away from my skin and then put that one on over the top, dirty layer.

I've noticed, though, that since the terrorism scare this has gotten a little more troublesome, because my license says that I weigh 175, and with all those layers I appear much closer to 250. Oh well, it still beats using a suitcase. Suitcases were planted on earth by the spies of Hyperandromache VIII, in preparation for the Domo-kun invasion.

Cait McKnelly 4 years, 5 months ago

Indeed! You never know when you might have to leave the planet quickly.

del888 4 years, 5 months ago

Since 3 of the 4 interviewed are out of towners, I wonder if any of them were actually carrying a suitcase. BTW, is it possible to actually get a suit into a suitcase?

jehovah_bob 4 years, 5 months ago

St. Louis is twice as far as Wichita, but we still travel the extra 2 hrs to St. Louis just so we don't ever have to go to Wichita.

blindrabbit 4 years, 5 months ago

This is an OCD related question and answer.

ms_canada 4 years, 5 months ago

I am wondering if the White Spot in Vancouver is any relation to the White Castle. They make the most delish burgers.

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

Just watch out for Neil Patrick Harris on X.

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and of course Vogons after your towel.

jehovah_bob 4 years, 5 months ago

5 hours? Are you going to east St. Louis? Hit up Wentzville on the West side it'll shave about an hour and a half off the drive.

ms_canada 4 years, 5 months ago

I gave my suitcases away, only use a couple of carry-ons, and those you have to unpack.

trinity 4 years, 5 months ago

no, i don't unpack, i keep my junk in my trunk. :)

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

Unpack! It is what seperates us from the barbarians.

trinity 4 years, 5 months ago

yes indeedy i be a woman...my hubby's junk is generally in my trunk. and he's a big ol' boy. :) pee ess afterthought-i hear there is a really good band at slow ride sunday afternoon! ;)

jehovah_bob 4 years, 5 months ago

I live out of a refrigerator box, where ever you travel you can just take your home with you.

riverdrifter 4 years, 5 months ago

Duffle bag. And nobody unpacks a duffle bag. Nobody.

Kelly Johnson 4 years, 5 months ago

If I'm staying more than 1-2 nights, I will unpack. I can't ever seem to get a handle on keeping my house neat, tidy & organized, but a hotel room is much more manageable, so I can pretend for a few days that I'm not a slob.

George_Braziller 4 years, 5 months ago

If I have dress clothes with me I'll hang them up otherwise everything stays in the suitcase. Three days or three weeks, one carry-on bag is all I ever take with me.

Liberty275 4 years, 5 months ago

I have a wife. She unpacks the suitcase.

blindrabbit 4 years, 5 months ago

My guess, if your are one who irons their underwear or needs all of the cllothing folds lining up the same direction, you'll un-pack, otherwise not.