Previous   Next

Have you seen any good movies this summer?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 7, 2010

Browse the archives

“I watched ‘Eclipse,’ it was awesome. I loved the fights.”

“No, we’ve been disappointed in the movies we’ve seen … ‘Robin Hood’ was too long and too slow.”

“Yes, I saw ‘Backup Plan.’ It was predictable, but it was entertaining.”

“Yes, I’ve seen ‘Princes and the Frog’ with my kids … It was a funny movie.”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe I'm getting old and cranky, but I haven't seen a good movie in 50 years! Attack of the 50 foot Woman, now that got this preteen's hormones flowing! And Bride of Frankenstein! Wow, could she spark up the night! Shirley Temple? Yeah, I dig older women! All this 3-D, Technycolor and surround sound? BAH!! Shades of gray and piano music, that's how you keep an audience thrilled! And as for humor, them Keystone Cops would have us rolling in the isles! Give me Howdy Doody, the Lone Ranger and the Gillette Friday Night Fights any day!

Humbug!!

Tbird1 4 years, 5 months ago

I go to the Drive in at least once a week! My son and I enjoy it very much!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

The best movie I've seen this summer was The Third Man starring Joseph Cotten & Orson Wells.

Linda Aikins 4 years, 5 months ago

Happy birthday Autie!!! You are such a mature youngster!

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

Happy birthday & so on & so forth, autie.

jehovah_bob 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought the question was, "Have you seen and GOOD movies this summer?"

labmonkey 4 years, 5 months ago

I did see "The Dirty Dozen" sometime back in May. There usually isn't a movie in the theaters I have any desire to see.

TOB- This stupid vampire craze is getting old.

riverdrifter 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm in to chick flicks, myself. My favorite one is the Wild Bunch.

Happy birfday, Autie.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

Nosferatu contains some of the most genuinely creepy moments ever put on film, IMHO.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of movies with Warren Oats, I've not watched Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia in a long time. Might have to dig that out this weekend.......

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Always with the name calling! Obvious why you are hung up on junior high movies.

scopi_guy 4 years, 5 months ago

The other day I watched Female Trouble for the 163rd time.

gsxr600 4 years, 5 months ago

Ryan, you know how I know you're gay?

Kathy Getto 4 years, 5 months ago

"The Apartment" "Julie/Julia" "Alice In Wonderland" "The Fourth Kind"

Autie - I loved Kim J's iron-eating monster.. Happy Birthday

ivalueamerica 4 years, 5 months ago

La Teta Asustada, or the English Title, The Milk of Sorrow was one of the best movies I had ever seen. It was a nominee for best foreign language flick at the Oscars.

Aileen Dingus 4 years, 5 months ago

Toy Story 3 was really good. I cried like a big old softy.

(psst- LJWorld- Princess and the Frog)

denak 4 years, 5 months ago

Toy Story 3 was really good EXCEPT it was in 3D. My personal opinion is that the 3D was absolutely not necessary and actually took away from the movie. The 3D wasn't spectacular or cutting edge- it would consist of small things such as Woody jumping off a ball and the ball boucning towards you-and with 3D ticket prices at $11, the studios should give you something more than that or just leave it out because otherwise it is just a gimmick that ruins a good film like Toy Story 3.

I think the film is going to be a much more enjoyable film when it comes out on DVD in 2D.

Dena

P.S. I agree with Princess and the Frog.

Aileen Dingus 4 years, 5 months ago

I thought the 3D in Toy Story was much better than the 3D in Alice in Wonderland. I got nauseous from that- lots of stuff wooshing at you- very dizzy making. I agree though, TS didn't need the gimmick.

KansasPerson 4 years, 5 months ago

Well, maybe Ryan meant The Eclipse, which was showing recently at Liberty Hall. Irish movie about death and ghosts and stuff. (Not a horror movie though.) Probably not what Ryan meant, though.

We liked "Toy Story 3" but other than that I think the only theater-movie I saw was the new "Robin Hood," which was sub-par.

I'm having better luck with the on-demand movies at home. Finally watched "Up" over the weekend and loved it.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 5 months ago

Eclipse is aimed at people with the emotional development of a pre-teen girl.

CreatureComforts 4 years, 5 months ago

Twilight movies are a great place to hit on 45 year old women trying to pretend they are their 14 year old daughters.

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

Oak (anonymous) replies…

"I have no idea who this Irish is, or why you are addressing me as such, if that is indeed your intent. No, I am not kidding. I am just that serious about the Twilight series. As you may have guessed my real name is not Oak. And, it is not Irish." June 30, 2010 at 5:07 p.m.

Umm . . . Whatever you say. Cleo.

Mary Darst 4 years, 5 months ago

We finally saw Men Who Stare at Goats. Absolutely one of the best movies we have seen in a long time. And, I sure don't have any desire to see the vampire movies.

tomatogrower 4 years, 5 months ago

Saw a lot of good Cary Grant movies for free, under the stars, with a great crowd. Thanks to Parks and Rec, and all the businesses who sponsored the summer movie event. What's on line for next year?

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

I wish the idiot who does the Cary Grant movie spot on Sunflower would realize that "The Bachelor" and "The Bobbie Soxer" is one movie, not two as he makes it sound.

ms_canada 4 years, 5 months ago

I totally loved Avatar, total love. watched it twice before the time ran out.