Previous   Next

Do you think children are losing the ability to write with proper penmanship?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on July 5, 2010

Browse the archives

“Definitely because of the coming of computers and so much typing. People don’t want handwritten stuff anymore.”

“I don’t know if the need exists anymore with today’s technology.”

“Yes, due to the availability of computers and the encouragement to use the technology, it’s not required or as necessary for them to practice the art of it any longer.”

“Yes, I’m going to agree because I have pretty poor penmanship … lack of practice and all the typing (I do).”

Comments

scopi_guy 3 years, 9 months ago

I should have won that penmanship award...if it weren't for that Claude. But I eventually got it at the end of the picnic. Now, where are my shoes?

Seriously, my handwriting has gone downhill since high school. Even more so in the last ten years or so.

geoismeo 3 years, 9 months ago

I didn't know Greg Bennet was the vice president of Lawrence!

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

My signature has undergone a dramatic evolution in recent years. Apparently, I've become a physician.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

Oh thank you guys! Your mentioning the Palmer will help me a lot. I do a lot of work reading handwritten data from the 1800's and early 1900's, and in many cases, when the person was taking repeated lists of data, they weren't that clear about their penmanship. Add to that, the fact they were using characters written differently than what I have been exposed to, in many cases just a single letter, fading ink which is in a small tight column without a header to explain what it is...this is WONDERFUL help. Often I could deduce, but there have been times that I've had no clue, and no hints to go by what so ever.

denak 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, they absolutely are but it isn't something that is now just happening. There are a lot of adults I know who can not write cursive. I really see it in the under 30 crowd and I blame it on technology. I didn't learn to type until I was a sophomore in high school. So from roughly 3rd grade, which is when they learn cursive until sophomore year, a student had to write his or her report. Nowadays, students have computers on the desk, in some districts, from the get go or they go home and have computers. Students do not have to write anymore so they don't learn to write legibly.

Dena

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Happy National Nude Recreation Week?

toe 3 years, 9 months ago

I would not assume they ever had the ability to use good penmanship in the first place. Penmanship is an art no longer practiced by the general population.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Is there an app for using the loo? Cuz I'm headed there now.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

How can they lose something they never possessed?

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

I long ago discarded by calligrapher's pen and pillow book.

Now, I just speak my commentary into my iPhone. Yeah, there's an app for that.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm a righty that writes like a lefty. The teachers all tried to correct me throughout elementary school and it wouldn't take. My handwriting's fine, and I bet I draw better than most.

raginredhead 3 years, 9 months ago

While you're out & about watch how people are holding their pen/pencil. Their hands are contorted in all different ways, no wonder penmanship is going down hill. It's not just the lefties I'm talking about either.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

They are, but this worries me far less than when they get on my darned lawn!!

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, I agree, they are losing the art of penmanship. Maybe Oak is right, but the art is going down the drain. I agree with JackFrost. My kids sit around texting all the time too and forget to talk. Luckily htey do have the gift of gab, like their mother. If Prospector wanted to shoot my kid's cell phones, I would not argue.

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

Found it! Shoot the kids' texting apparatus.

PULL

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

I gots a pencilmanship reward on time in fourth grade. Now we is working on sharpimanship. Nobody writes well anymore. Nobody.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Actually, I was born here and I'll die here against my will I know it looks like I'm movin' but I'm standin' still Every nerve in my body is so naked and numb I can't even remember what it was I came here to get away from Don't even hear the murmur of a prayer It's not dark yet but it's gettin' there.

ralphralph 3 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, but they've got magic, flyin' thumbs.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I am a lineman for the county and I drive the main road Searchin' in the sun for another overload I hear you singin' in the wire, I can hear you through the whine And the Wichita Lineman is still on the line

Aiko 3 years, 9 months ago

Jack Frost, are you from Wichita?

kernal 3 years, 9 months ago

Some of my college age employees admit they cannot write cursive that is readable.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 9 months ago

Mr. Frost... what kind of "meth" are you doing? Real crystal meth has the texture and consistency of table salt crystals. Anything made with anhydrous ammonia is nothing but poison.

rbwaa 3 years, 9 months ago

I think there is a lot to be gained from the eye-hand coordination that handwriting develops, there is a creative aspect to it as well and the self discipline it requires. I enjoyed all the character practice - repetitive sweeps, loops, circles...

Bill Lee 3 years, 9 months ago

Not just children, but adults as well. I force myself to write at least one letter in cursive each month to maintain my skill. Penmanship isn't the priority it once was. Schools now are more concerned with teaching "self esteem."

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Most of the time I'm halfway content Most of the time I know exactly where it went I don't cheat on myself I don't run and hide Hide from the feelings that are buried inside I don't compromise and I don't pretend I don't even care if I ever see her again Most of the time.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Old school rocks.

Most of the time.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

And damn the new meth, too. I went through about 12 rocks while I was blowing stuff up last night. Barely raised my pulse. Man, I can't wait for season 4 of Breaking Bad.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

I always preferred the Mrs. Stevenson method. As a kid, I had terrible penmanship. My fourth grade teacher at Centennial Elementary, Mrs. Stevenson, would keep me in at recess to help me. I acted like I was bummed at missing recess, but secretly appreciated the help she gave me. They don't have schools or teachers like that anymore.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Spelling and txtspk is not the issue.
It is penmanship and the school system forcibly making children put monkeytails on their printing, when they should have been using the Spencer or Palmer method from the get go.

Damn the new math too.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

Being the Vice President of Servers, I don't need to write anymore.

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

“I don’t know if the need exists anymore with today’s technology.”

Now see, that's the kind of thinking that makes me wanna puke. Yah, okay. With today's technology I don't think the need exists to spend time with my family or chat with the neighbors. Neighbors? I thought they were called the people who live next door to you. I don't know them. I only associate with people on Facebook. Guess I'll head to Montana and build me a Unibomber cabin.

ohjayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm with Roe. I think the spelling is a much worse issue (maybe that's because my handwriting has always been bad). Textspeak will probably become the new English at some point in time, I'm sure. I just hope it's not within my lifetime.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

on akkount of al the textspeek an fasebook an al that breavyatin an everthane the cuzins spellin looks beter al the tiem

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Up and down, move it to the right. It's a simple process.