Previous   Next

Do you think children are losing the ability to write with proper penmanship?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 Clinton Parkway on July 5, 2010

Browse the archives

“Definitely because of the coming of computers and so much typing. People don’t want handwritten stuff anymore.”

“I don’t know if the need exists anymore with today’s technology.”

“Yes, due to the availability of computers and the encouragement to use the technology, it’s not required or as necessary for them to practice the art of it any longer.”

“Yes, I’m going to agree because I have pretty poor penmanship … lack of practice and all the typing (I do).”

Comments

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

on akkount of al the textspeek an fasebook an al that breavyatin an everthane the cuzins spellin looks beter al the tiem

ohjayhawk 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm with Roe. I think the spelling is a much worse issue (maybe that's because my handwriting has always been bad). Textspeak will probably become the new English at some point in time, I'm sure. I just hope it's not within my lifetime.

funkdog1 4 years, 5 months ago

They took away the monkeytails two years ago.

Paul Decelles 4 years, 5 months ago

My teachers tried teaching me the Palmer method and they failed because I could not see the advantage in speed over my own very idiosyncratic mix of printed and script letters. I got this from my Dad who took a dim view of a certain teacher who told him I would never get to college because of my bad penmanship.

Bill Lee 4 years, 5 months ago

Not just children, but adults as well. I force myself to write at least one letter in cursive each month to maintain my skill. Penmanship isn't the priority it once was. Schools now are more concerned with teaching "self esteem."

funkdog1 4 years, 5 months ago

Another grownup who doesn't have a kid in school and doesn't know what he's talking about. Nice.

rbwaa 4 years, 5 months ago

I think there is a lot to be gained from the eye-hand coordination that handwriting develops, there is a creative aspect to it as well and the self discipline it requires. I enjoyed all the character practice - repetitive sweeps, loops, circles...

kernal 4 years, 5 months ago

Some of my college age employees admit they cannot write cursive that is readable.

ralphralph 4 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, but they've got magic, flyin' thumbs.

RoeDapple 4 years, 5 months ago

perfect, absolutely perfect!! chuckle

(htey)

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

They are, but this worries me far less than when they get on my darned lawn!!

raginredhead 4 years, 5 months ago

While you're out & about watch how people are holding their pen/pencil. Their hands are contorted in all different ways, no wonder penmanship is going down hill. It's not just the lefties I'm talking about either.

jonas_opines 4 years, 5 months ago

I'm a righty that writes like a lefty. The teachers all tried to correct me throughout elementary school and it wouldn't take. My handwriting's fine, and I bet I draw better than most.

beatrice 4 years, 5 months ago

How can they lose something they never possessed?

denak 4 years, 5 months ago

Yes, they absolutely are but it isn't something that is now just happening. There are a lot of adults I know who can not write cursive. I really see it in the under 30 crowd and I blame it on technology. I didn't learn to type until I was a sophomore in high school. So from roughly 3rd grade, which is when they learn cursive until sophomore year, a student had to write his or her report. Nowadays, students have computers on the desk, in some districts, from the get go or they go home and have computers. Students do not have to write anymore so they don't learn to write legibly.

Dena

geoismeo 4 years, 5 months ago

I didn't know Greg Bennet was the vice president of Lawrence!

scopi_guy 4 years, 5 months ago

I should have won that penmanship award...if it weren't for that Claude. But I eventually got it at the end of the picnic. Now, where are my shoes?

Seriously, my handwriting has gone downhill since high school. Even more so in the last ten years or so.