Previous   Next

What are your plans for the long holiday weekend?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 2, 2010

Browse the archives

“I’m going to go see the fireworks show and go to a few potlucks on the Fourth of July.”

“Spending time with family watching them blow things up.”

“Going to do some work on the farm and have a little barbecue thing with the kids.”

“I got a buddy coming in from Omaha, Nebraska. His name is Sean McCarthy, and we don’t really know what we are going to do.”

Comments

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

Chasing a bee.

( probably best to watch this one with eyes closed... ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRY8hq...

"... sunlit walks, I feel no harm, my primitive words match my primitive heart ( it's not ) as easy as it may seem, remember that yourself is steam...."

Kris_H 3 years, 9 months ago

Working, earning money, time and a half for the holiday! 'Course time and a half of not a lot still isn't a lot, is it...

KansasPerson 3 years, 9 months ago

The same thing I try to do EVERY long holiday weekend..... try to take over THE WORLD!!!

thebcman 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm gonna read all 208 comments on the current disappeardededed blog , then imagine what the rest of Juliet looks like.

Bob Kraxner 3 years, 9 months ago

Drink ice cold beer. Manufacture home made dynamite. Drink more ice cold beer. Implement large explosions.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

jonas, everyone knows, within two days either side of any holiday, con is typing with his little head, not his big one, therein errors may occur. I'd say this was a pretty amazing post given the depth and width of his iphone keypad, not to mention the size of the keys.

notajayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

I will be staying at home trying to get ready for vacation, which starts the following weekend.

amrose42683 3 years, 9 months ago

Long weekend? Not all of us. I sadly have to work on Monday ... and no I don't work in retail, fast food, restaurant, cafe, etc. I work in an office, which in my opinion should be closed on Monday, unfortunately that opinion was not taken into consideration:(

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

"Take this, set it on fire and then suck on it. It's good for you!"

consumer1 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks Jonas. I always appreciate your corrections. Con 1

Ironically the woman smoking the fake cig doesn't look that healthy.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

"Smoking can be slightly less unhealthy?"

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

arf! The "Smoking can be healthy?" ads are no better than snake-oil salesmen. Yes, I know LJW has to pay the bills somehow. I wish they had a little better judgement on what ads they approved.

consumer1 3 years, 9 months ago

Start a grass roots develpment plan to raise the abandoned buildings on east 8th street to put in a new visitor and convention bureau. My rational for doing this is simple. To increase property values in the surround East Lawrence Neighborhoods. This will force those people who live in the area to start paying increased and fair property value taxes. Then once they actually start paying taxes that are more in line with the rest of Lawrence, they will quit voting for spending by the city for their rediculous special interest groups. As it is, they don't share the equal burdon of the tax liabiltiy those of us do with larger mortgages. Their monthly mortgage is half of what most of us pay, however, they are the progressives who foolishly vote for spending city tax dollars on useless endeavors that only support their agenda's.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 9 months ago

call the police for illegal fireworks. it's a stimulus program to help the city, tickets are written and fines get paid. it's just great!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Ms. Matthews, Stifling free speech of Methodists everywhere? Is it because we can read?

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

The usual, raising bail money for JackFrost

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

oh and....trying to fight off a nice summertime case of strep throat. yay.

countrygirl 3 years, 9 months ago

Ribs and fireworks at home. One of the joys of living out of town. We'll get to enjoy our neighbors fireworks too.

tange 3 years, 9 months ago

two days, three all the same, to me

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

I'll be checking in here periodically to the new puritanically proofed Lawporia Gazette to read if anyone of you have twisted the family mobile around a light pole, blown yourself up, laid the bike down or got drunk and didn't come up out of the lake even after your cuzin Colt dropped in a couple of charges to bring you to the top. Other than that, the usual suspects will arrive.

jonas_opines 3 years, 9 months ago

Now with less copyright infringement!

/down with immature tattletales!

JimmyJoeBob 3 years, 9 months ago

I am leaving Communist Lawrence to celebrate the birth of my country properly.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Randall Barnes 3 years, 9 months ago

bbq on sat the 3rd cause it's gonna be a wet 4th gonna rain so guess i will find a display at the race track to watch.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

Making .44 inch diameter holes in pieces of paper.

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

I will be negotiating the bicycles to get my Free State beer.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

I may spend Saturday and Sunday in my bunker.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 9 months ago

"Set up lawn chairs a good safe distance from JackFrost's residence, leave the car motor running and the doors open for a quick retreat. Bring popcorn. Wear Kevlar. Crank up the volume. " Roe

Roe - After a few drinks, go up on the porch and live the Action. Life is short. Sitting on the sidelines is no way to live.

BABBOY 3 years, 9 months ago

spend time with family for 3 days in roll, golf, BBQ, and maybe some beer on the 4th

consumer1 3 years, 9 months ago

Roe, do yer car haff are conditionin?

consumer1 3 years, 9 months ago

Snik up in em bushes, an when cuzzin Roe aint looking, jump in hiss car an tear out, Laughin my keister off!! Am meen, shoot! he aughten leave his doors open with the motor runnin lack that!

JackFrost 3 years, 9 months ago

My life is one long weekend. Drinkin', druggin', and blowing stuff up. I read in the Wall Street Journal that fireworks have always been a great financial investment. Better than gold. And people say I'm an idiot. Ha!

g_rock 3 years, 9 months ago

Same as every weekend....work, laundry, any free time family to the west. I need like an actual holiday. sigh

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Living life in 3d. Drinking, debauchery, and detonation.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

Donnuts 3 years, 9 months ago

Were going to see the "Dirty 11:30" drag queen show in Manhattan as part of a midnight bachelorette party Saturday night. Other than that yoga as usual. Maybe some running and painting.