Previous   Next

Do you think you will get an iPad?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 28, 2010

Browse the archives

“I do not think I will get an iPad because I’m too broke to buy something like that.”

“No, probably not, as I am very, very satisfied with my iPhone and my MacBook.”

“No, maybe if it was free I would.”

“I probably won’t because of the price.”

Comments

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

Hank looks like he's about to go play sax at the JazzHaus.

AnnaUndercover 5 years, 2 months ago

AnnaUndercover 5 years, 2 months ago

@spacehog I am absolutely a feminist. iFeminist.

@autie Really? Happy birthday Coast Guard.

Bed time for me. Sweet dreams, Lawrence!

beawolf 5 years, 2 months ago

Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says…

"Sounds like a weird step in technology to me, I hear we'll have to wear one of these to use."

You must be in 3rd grade. This is elementary school humor. I bet you still laugh hysterically when some one says Lake Titicaca.

Mariposa 5 years, 2 months ago

I certainly will. As a student I think it will be invaluable. It is the perfect size to carry around campus and it has all the features I want and will use.

monkeyspunk 5 years, 2 months ago

The screen ratio is lame. Not good for watching movies.

The price is too high for the 64GB version. And if I want 3g I will be paying over $1110 in the first year.

To Mariposa, if you want something as effective as an iPad but at a fraction of the price, consider a netbook with Android or Windows 7 for Netbooks. The netbook battery life is exceptional in most cases. It is not a touch screen so it won't be getting scratched up as easily. Most likely, the iPad won't be set up for VPN connections, so you might be limited in that aspect. More options so you won't look like such a sheeple and you will save some scratch for other necessities.

I find it interesting that this device is generating buzz. It is a tablet PC! Nothing new or special about it, except that it is Apple.

jonas_opines 5 years, 2 months ago

Nah, I like my iPhone well enough, so I'll just keep using that.

1029 5 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely! Probably not right away, though, because all my credit cards are currently maxed-out and I've been having trouble trying to get another one. I'd hate to be that person who isn't cool enough to be up-to-date with the hottest new technology.

Freestater456 5 years, 2 months ago

Monkeyspunk says:

"And to all of you Apple fan boys that think Apple is unhackable. By Groundhog Day, the iPad will have been hacked."

I'll take that bet. They won't start being shipped until late March.

Linda Aikins 5 years, 2 months ago

Multi - NO! Bad memories - BAD BAD BAD! :)

It's just an iPhone that is bigger, isn't it?

Mariposa 5 years, 2 months ago

monkeyspunk Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I am a bit impulsive and this would have been a very pricey impulse. Do I need this? No. Have I ever bought Apple? No. Then why? Because the features look like so much fun to use. But, on second thought, if I want to spend $500 on fun, I could-?

Mariposa 5 years, 2 months ago

Prospector, when I chose KU, me Mum and Dad warned against joining a sorority because of their notorious behavior. So, now I drink in an apartment instead of a house. Much better. But, I do have a preference for rum and tequila over beer. Do you have any plans on blogging about those experiences? Pictures?

Liberty275 5 years, 2 months ago

I don't buy anything that is sold by apple. I don't drink the koolaid.

SpeedRacer 5 years, 2 months ago

I kept browsing through the site to see what is so special about it...it just looks like an oversize ipod touch to me.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Aren't Apples still the second leading cause of smug in America?

somedude20 5 years, 2 months ago

my girlfriend has sent me to the store before to get her ipads but the price has seemed to go up a bit. She can get her own damn i-pads in the future

jonesin_chick69 5 years, 2 months ago

Is it true that the iPad is really functional for only 5 days every 28 days?

AnnaUndercover 5 years, 2 months ago

@spacehog I think I know why they got removed--I guess we can't talk about lady-things on here. :P

I guess I should re-state what I said before: There need to be more women on Apple's 'naming team,' and further, I guess we also need more women hired at the LJ-World.

somedude20 5 years, 2 months ago

yeah jonesin, I have heard that as well but I also have heard that the ipads can link up so that if one ipad is around another and it is "on" (so to speak), they all turn on at the same time. I work in an office that has ipad users and they all seem to become problematic (mean, bloated, ect) around the same time of the month. Go figure

been_there 5 years, 2 months ago

In a year they will come out with the impoved model and cheaper too, just like the iphone. If they're smart they will put wi-fi in it.

LadyJ 5 years, 2 months ago

ipads are great for bandaging if you don't have any gauze around or one that is big enough. Disposable diapers used to make great wraps for injured horses legs until they started putting gathers and elastic on them.

compmd 5 years, 2 months ago

Simple reason: I like computers that I can actually do stuff with, not the kind where the manufacturer dictates what I can do with it.

Technical reason: The screen is crap. They want to market it as an ebook reader and chose a run of the mill LCD. Stupid. Special 3G models will have AT&T 3G wireless. Haven't we seen that Apple and AT&T is a match made in hell? No standard ports, you can't hook up anything to it that Apple doesn't explicitly allow. No flash support. Bizarre processor, which is likely a Cortex A8 with a special hardware video decoder for better youtube/itunes video playback performance. Its a giant ipod touch that you can hook up a couple select USB devices to.

Cost reason: I have an MSI Wind U120, which has a 1.6GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 160GB HD, wifi, 1024x600 screen, SD slot, ethernet, video output, 3x USB ports, a replaceable battery, it runs Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X, and weighs 8 oz more than an ipad. Oh, and you can get it for less than an ipad.