Previous   Next

Have you ever tried to make homemade bread?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on January 27, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, I love to bake. I do it because my mother did it.”

“Yes, but it’s been a long time.”

“Yes. It was awesome, but it’s a lot of work.”

“Yes. The first time it didn’t turn out too good. I thought it would be fun, and it was.”

Related story

Comments

grammaddy 5 years, 4 months ago

all the time. I find it very relaxing and the grands love it with a little bit of apple or peanut butter and honey.

George_Braziller 5 years, 4 months ago

I've tried (and failed) several times. I think yeast hates me. Even tried using a bread machine and only managed to create an adobe brick. I threw it out in the yard and even the squirrels wouldn't eat it.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 4 months ago

I tried to make bread for a class once. I really don't know what happened but it didn't look like the picture. In the book it was elongated and twisty. Mine just sort of flattened out and turned brown. Like a big brown flat bread. Smelled good!

Kirk Larson 5 years, 4 months ago

All the time. I have bread machine and haven't bought a loaf of bread in years. Tastes better and I can put good stuff in it. Cheaper, too.

Mariposa 5 years, 4 months ago

There is something quite marvelous about the smell and taste of yeasty bread. I nip off bits and pieces as I am preparing it. I especially like Challah, Russian Rye and Raisin breads.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 4 months ago

spacehog, ease off (or get back on) your meds, dude. Your 8:16 is full of BS. Anyway, I love putting a batch in the bread machine at night and waking up to the smell of fresh baked bread in the morning. Mmmm.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 4 months ago

My friends always send me that Amish Friendship Bread mix but I can't ever bring myself to make it. Something about adding milk to it and letting it sit out for 7 days just doesn't do it for me. I know people say it's just the most amazing bread ever but I'll just stick with my Tastefully Simple copycat beer bread.

acg 5 years, 4 months ago

I make homemade breads all the time. Just the other day I made homemade croissants and eclairs, too, and man were they good. It takes a lot of time and effort and it's a serious committment but the bread is so much better. It's also not loaded with high fructose corn syrup and most bread at the store is.

ahimsa 5 years, 4 months ago

I am not rich, but I like the Merc and shop there a lot. And, yes, some products are more expensive, but I would rather eat healthy organic produce, grains, and dairy products than low-quality food produced through the agri-industrial complex. I consider it a great investment in my health. I also feel good about supporting organic producers, humane treatment of dairy cows, and good stewardship of the land. Are those "hippie" values?

LoveThsLife 5 years, 4 months ago

I have a 30 minute roll recipe I use a lot. I also make my own pizza dough on Friday nights for our family.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 4 months ago

I've not used my bread machine for a while. I should do something about that.

mom_of_three 5 years, 4 months ago

I tried to make beignets last Sunday for the saints game. Didn't look as pretty, but tasted pretty good. will have to do it again for superbowl sunday.

A20271 5 years, 4 months ago

spacehog (Anonymous) says…

Yep. Like when Curt Cobain offed himself. Right……….

Spacehog, i'm pretty sure it's Kurt Cobain.

somedude20 5 years, 4 months ago

I have an uncle who is doing 17-24yrs studying at the State Penn for making "homemade bread". Smart guy he was (of course getting caught is not so smart) and his $20 "loafs" were hard to detect by non-bakers

deskboy04 5 years, 4 months ago

I don't know how to make bread. I wish that I did.