Previous   Next

What’s the most money you could spend if your pet were really sick?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 25, 2010

Browse the archives

“The last cat I had I spent close to $8,000 over two years…when you’re in the moment, you can’t really say no (to the cost).”

“That’s hard to say because I think it really depends on how much money you’re making at the time…but probably not more than $1,000.”

“I wouldn’t spend too much, maybe my kid’s college trust fund.”

“Whatever it took.”

Comments

Mary Darst 5 years, 5 months ago

I could and would as much as it took, being realistic. Spent $750.00 at OSU vet hospital once. If it was a lost cause anyway, of course I would do the right thing for the pet. My vet is a very realistic guy and has always let to to make good choices.

looza 5 years, 5 months ago

If my pet had health insurance we wouldn't be talking about this now would we? C'mon Obama!

asbury 5 years, 5 months ago

Whatever it took. There is no "just a dog" in my thinking pattern.

OwlHead 5 years, 5 months ago

Anything over $600. Dog gets a bullet. It's been that way for a long time.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, that's a good question since we just added a puppy to our family..... and I'm not sure the answer. While we don't have a lot of money, I think more important to me is the quality of life an animal will have after the procedure. By the way, does anyone know how much it costs to have an animal micro chipped and what are your opinions about it? Do you think it's worth it or will I have to start wearing a tin foil hat?

Shane Garrett 5 years, 5 months ago

All dogs go to heaven. Therefore, all dogs go the way of old yeller!

labmonkey 5 years, 5 months ago

Although our dog is allowed in one room of the house, that is why I believe that pets should be outside. You never see an outdoor pet get allergies, diabetes and such....plus they live a happier life where they get to chase squirrels whenever they see them.

As for the question... I would probably put the limit at $1K if the dog is young (such as if it eats my wife's panties or chocolate), much less if it is old.

domino 5 years, 5 months ago

dejacrew423 - Microchipping your pet is a great thing to do, but even more important than the actual chipping is being sure to register your pet once the microchip has been implanted. There are lots of makers of microchips, but the best on the market at this time, in my opinion, is the Bayer ResQ chip - it is the only chip on the market that I know of that does not charge an additional fee to register the pet. You simply go online or call their toll free number and give them the microchip number (which is included with your information) then your contact information. Most of the other microchip companies charge either a one-time fee or a yearly fee to keep your pet registered. As far as cost, depends on where you get it done - some breeders microchip their puppies before you purchase them and that cost is built into your purchase price. I think you could probably get it done at a reputable shelter - not sure what it would cost there. At a vets, I've heard anywhere from $25 to $50 - depending on the vet. But however you choose to do it, just get it done!

As far as the question - I don't know what I would spend. I love my dogs and they are part of our family, however, they are dogs and there is a limit. Having a beloved pet put down is one of the hardest decisions a pet owner will ever have to make, but I, for one, refuse to allow my pet to suffer.

OwlHead 5 years, 5 months ago

Grew up on a farm. Dogs that are suffering get put down. Surgery was non existent, at least not a cost that was an option. If the dog is suffering, it gets put down...old age(where it is having trouble functioning) tumors,run over by a truck, half eaten by a pack of stray dogs.... Putting a dog down yourself can help you deal with the loss.

Perhaps the sick people are the ones who can't emotionally detach themselves from an animal and spend thousands for surgery and pet health insurance?

jonas_opines 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, I have a cat who likes to eat earplugs, and they don't. . . pass so well. Two surgeries $600 a pop, but he's a great cat and it was worth it to keep him around. Just have to shut away the earplugs now.

Another had a bladder stone, another $600 and prescription food for all of them. But she's my old lady, so I gotta take care of her. I don't think she trusts anybody else.

monkey_c 5 years, 5 months ago

Spacehog, there is a big difference between torturing an animal and putting down an animal with a shot to the head. Putting an injured or suffering animal out of pain is not a bad thing, in fact it can be a humane choice.

monkey_c 5 years, 5 months ago

WOW - sounds like Elronds got some dough.

puddleglum 5 years, 5 months ago

EIGHT GRIZZLE? man, for 8 grand-you can put together a killer big block chev with a forged stroker crank merlin heads and injection. maybe another $600 buys the hooker super-comp headers, but lets not get out of control here.

eotw33 5 years, 5 months ago

If McCain would of won animals wouldn't get sick

Linda Endicott 5 years, 5 months ago

Labmonkey...you never see an outdoor pet get allergies or diabetes or such because they usually don't live long enough to get anything...the average life span of an outdoor cat or dog is about 3-4 years...because they either get killed by another animal, hit by a car, or if they do get sick they will simply leave and go and hide to die, as animals will do if you let them...

Autie, my cat was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago...yes, he has to have two shots of insulin per day...but the cost isn't really that bad...he's on human insulin, which I get at my drugstore...it costs me about $33 per month...since he's diabetic he has to be on prescription food, which runs me about $30 a month...not that expensive...

And he's doing fine...still as lively and ornery as ever...at first, before he was diagnosed, I didn't have a clue what was wrong, and he had neuropathy in his hindquarters...he had extreme difficulty getting around...the vet said at first that he had a 25% chance of surviving...and that the neuropathy might be permanent...if that had been the case, I would have seriously considered having him put down...

But he recovered from the neurapthy, and is back to normal now...

If a pet is suffering, euthanasia should be considered...but I don't believe a pet should ever be put down just simply because their health condition is inconvenient for the owner...

Someday the problems you have might be considered inconvenient for someone else, too...

Kontum1972 5 years, 5 months ago

chum bait in the kansas river..then start over @ the humane society..the chicks there are cool