Previous   Next

Should cigarette sales be banned on campus?

Asked at The Kansas Union, 1301 Jayhawk Blvd. on January 19, 2010

Browse the archives

“I believe they should. I’m at the speech pathology clinic (for my major) and we have kids coming in and older adults that have health issues.”

“If the university wants to support healthy choices, all power to them, but I think regardless smokers are going to go buy a pack of cigarettes elsewhere.”

“Banning them on campus could reduce the amount of smoking on campus, which I absolutely hate.”

“Yes, because cigarette smoke bothers a lot of people including me, and it could promote healthier living on campus, which I’d be for.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 5 years, 3 months ago

You don't have to ban the sale of ciggies, just require a smoker to turn in 40 butts each time they want to buy a pack.

InspectorJo 5 years, 3 months ago

Why stop at smoking, maybe big brother should ban drinking as well. Imagine that, KU with NO ALCOHOL!!!

Randall Barnes 5 years, 3 months ago

ban the sale on campus ? well hmmmmm the students go off campus to buy everything else,even books.

ldvander 5 years, 3 months ago

I remember when Mike Ditka smoked on the Bears sidelines.

Romans832 5 years, 3 months ago

Once upon a time (must have been around 2002), there was a group called the Wellness Initiatives Priority Group. I attended a meeting where they presented their recommendations. One was "discontinu(ing) cigarette and other tobacco sales in the Kansas and Burge Unions." I noticed on the report that their goal to accomplish this was Academic Year 2004-2005. I e-mailed someone on that committee in November 2005 and did get a reply, about why they had decided not to follow through. Unfortunately, I can't find the answer now. :-(

Yes, I think banning the sales of tobacco products on campus would be a good thing, and very forward-thinking.

jonas_opines 5 years, 3 months ago

Explosion sound out here by 25th and crossgate and now the power is all gone. What happened?

ralphralph 5 years, 3 months ago

I remember smoking in court. Ever been to court? Smoking was a good thing in court.

jhawks1234 5 years, 3 months ago

is the power restored to the 25th and crossgate area yet?

relaytheurgency 5 years, 3 months ago

I think banning their sale on campus is a great idea. At least until the Unions start selling them at a far market price.

Ban them, save people money. Sounds good.

gphawk89 5 years, 3 months ago

Jonas- 25th and Crossgate? That brings back some good memories. Lived there for a year while in school. Rented a house at 3804 Sunnybrook.

kansasmutt 5 years, 2 months ago

I havent heard of anyone being killed from smoking on campus. I hear of people who die from drinking all the time around campus. I say give out free smokes to those who enjoy it. Just wait you do gooders, your drinking will be ending soon. You love to drink and drive, but hate smoke. Wont be long now and the state will be on your drinking like stink on poop. Drink up and kill each other on the roads and then youl not have to worry about smoke. Why not focus on something to make this world better, not to make life suck for those who desire to smoke ? Non smokers, your day is coming, youl loose something dear to you and you wont have a chance.