Previous   Next

Should Jay or Conan host the “Tonight Show”?

Asked at Checkers Food Store, 23rd and Louisiana streets on January 16, 2010

Browse the archives

“Conan. He’s funnier, hipper and I like his hair.”

“It should be Jay; he’s been there longer. He needs to go back to the old time slot.”

“I just enjoy Conan better. I think he’s a lot funnier.”

“Jay. He’s a lot funnier and I’ve been watching his late-night show for a while.”

Comments

bookemdano 4 years, 3 months ago

While Conan has some older fans, I've not encountered a single person under 40 who prefers Jay Leno. Younger viewers are all advertisers care about, which directly determines how much $$ the networks make (an iPhone commercial earns them substantially more money than one for Polygrip).

Jay Leno's ratings will never return to what they were prior to his "retirement". Some of his fans discovered the other late night hosts, others found something on cable to watch, and some kicked the bucket. He may get slightly higher numbers than Conan was getting for the last few months, but they ain't gonna be the 18-49s that's for sure.

NBC is like the titanic, and Jay Leno's just gonna ride her on down. Conan was smart to jump off now.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

That..and the cat/dog,biscuits/cornbread..and whether or not the service at a restaurant should be reflected in the tip. Although the removal of snow and hair are climbing right up there. ;)

maxcrabb 4 years, 3 months ago

After watching all you common personalities here on the forums, this article, and your comments, finally explain everything. It all boils down to the late night show of preference.

Mine? Conan. (With Venture Bro's and Harvey Birdman very close behind)

gccs14r 4 years, 3 months ago

Jay is just un-funny. He's the Lawrence Welk of late night. I'd rather watch paint dry. Conan should get to keep Tonight. Dave will probably retire in a couple of years (maybe at the end of this contract) and Craig will move up into his time slot. Then Craig and Conan could go at it again like they used to, and it'd be a fair fight. Dumping Conan and putting Jay back into Tonight may give NBC some ratings in the short term, but Craig will stomp a mudhole in Jay if they're opposite each other. NBC is shooting itself in the foot--again.

militant 4 years, 3 months ago

I'd pay to watch both of them jump into Jonas's volcano; they should be chained to Craig Ferguson when they jump. I hope it's filmed in HD! I miss Johnny.

igby 4 years, 3 months ago

Neither, they both suck!

We want Arsenial Hall, back!

Agnostick 4 years, 3 months ago

Great observations by Byrne.

As far as I’m concerned, this is Karma making a return trip to roll over a few feet. There’s a particular reason that, in his retirement years, Carson faxed jokes to Letterman… made cameo appearances on Letterman’s show.

The bigger joke, with the bigger punchline? What the hell is NBC going to do when the 2010 Winter Olympics is over, and can't carry the water during that 10p/9p hour?

NBC has five primetime hours to fill. There’s only so much reality and “Dateline” that people will stomach. Execs are going to have to eat canned Spam lunches, drink tap water, and take out their own trash until this ship rights itself. What NBC needs right now is “Hill Street Blues,” “Homicide,” “L.A. Law,” and a couple other hours that will at least hold their own against the procedural juggernaut of CBS.

As to late-night, nothing's really changed. Letterman still wins, like he always has. Oh, and the fact that he’s funnier, night-for-night, doesn’t hurt, either.

Stewart, Ferguson, Miller, all are good suggestions, but NBC really needs to go all out and take a shot with somebody completely new to this thing. Somebody kinda well-known, crazy sense of humor, has an entry over at Internet Movie Database that hooks him up with a lot of people... and somebody that even knows a little bit about music.

Call me crazy.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe they could put Jay on closed circuit TV in all of the nursing homes and he can have guests like Don Rickles and other has beens to keep the excitement going for the elderly.

Jeff Cuttell 4 years, 3 months ago

Conan needs a fair shot at this. Dave is great. But, he will never go back to NBC after they picked Leno over him. Dave and Conan are much funnier than Jay ever was. I don't know what people ever saw in him anyway.

Kat Christian 4 years, 3 months ago

Neither one is funny to me. I think David Letterman should or better yet Craig Ferguson - now he's funny and I love how he interviews his guests.

looza 4 years, 3 months ago

Jay! I would rather watch a t-u-r-d float in the toilet then watch Conan.

yankeevet 4 years, 3 months ago

JAY LENO ONLY; letterman and conan really suck.........and always will...................

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Or David Brenner, Pat Sajak, and Chevy Chase. Badda badda-bom-bing-bing-bing!

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Right witcha Jonas. Leno is strictly corny, stale, stiff, "family" entertainment. God bless Bill Hicks!

diplomacy205 4 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone actually watch these shows?

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 3 months ago

Well it should be, drum please............... Dennis Miller!

Escapee 4 years, 3 months ago

Carson was the last 'Tonight Show' host, agreed. And Leno should just plain know better.... It's time to go and give somebody else the opportunity he was gifted with. NBC execs must be the most lame, crack headed, spineless creatures on earth not to see how simple this should have been.... Jay got a chance, he blew it, he's gone. Next.

JJE007 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't have a TV, but I like the acerbic nature of parasitic hosts on the high-fructose tube. The idiotic drone of socially fellatical, doofusoidal hominids drives me to batty dread in and of, our future, night and day.

The longer one resides within any system, the more one becomes the mouth of its hell...leading the rest to doom. Go for the new or newer always. It is the way of we, the seekers of what we cannot know.

Go with, then fire, the latest craze in our desire to burn the world down into the melted pot of our condescension.

blackfox 4 years, 3 months ago

Jay all the way! Screw Conan.

MacHeath 4 years, 3 months ago

Stewart is good too, I think. He can be acerbic, but not in such a personal way like Letterman. I think he would transfer to a weekly 10:30 slot very well. He has little reason to do that, however. He pretty much has it made now. Could be a lot more money though.

MacHeath 4 years, 3 months ago

I miss Carson. Having said that, Ferguson is the best hope. Leno is just dumb, and can't interview a guest worth a hoot.
Letterman is too acerbic. I always thought is was a @ick. He has proven himself to be a @ick in real life as well. I hate seeing Letterman make guests uncomfortable. Carson never did that.
Ferguson is unpredictable, but the guest always seems to have a good time, no matter who they are. I feel like I learn something about the guest after the interview, and they walk away happy. I like that.

gphawk89 4 years, 3 months ago

"It stopped being the Tonight Show when Johnny retired"

True. I stopped watching the Tonight Show soon after Johnny retired. No one can take Johnny's place.

Byrne 4 years, 3 months ago

Problem is, cheeseburger, is that Leno had a lead-in of a proper prime-time schedule, while Conan had a lead-in of the Leno experiment, whose rating slump precipitated this whole thing by being so low the local affiliates rebelled to protect their news numbers.

Also, if you look at the last time the Tonight Show seat changed hands, ratings for the show were low in the first year or so until the Hugh Grant interview boosted Leno's ratings, and that was with the benefit of NBC having much better ratings than it does now.

That's not opinion, that's just looking at the numbers.

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

I just set my machine to record all the old "Have Gun, Will Travel" episodes. At first I was amazed I ever liked them as a child. Now I'm amazed that I'm starting to like them again...

parrothead8 4 years, 3 months ago

I'd rather watch Seinfeld re-runs.

GardenMomma 4 years, 3 months ago

Craig Ferguson is my new favorite. I liked Jay Leno when he was on (mostly his Headlines bit), but now he left - his choice.

I think Conan's getting the shaft. Jay Leno should just retire. He passed the torch and NBC are idiots to give the Tonight Show to Conan and then to take it back. How rude to give and then take away.

I hope Conan is back on somewhere soon and kicks the Tonight Show's butt!

Dave Letterman is not funny any more. Sometimes his top ten list is funny, but mostly he seems trite, bitter, and jaded nowadays.

cheeseburger 4 years, 3 months ago

You are entitled to your opinion, farmgal, and I am entitled to mine. I am saying that I prefer Jay to Conan, and according to viewership ratings, I am not alone.

If Leno sucks, and if Conan is a comedic genius, as you assert, why are these changes even coming about? Perhap it is not I who lacks depth in thinking.

farmgal 4 years, 3 months ago

cheeseburger (Anonymous) says… "I'll side with the polls. Jay was #1 in the 10:30 slot with the Tonight Show, and ratings fell significantly when Conan took over. Look for Jay to regain the #1 position when NBC makes the change."

it's not all black and white. many other factors played in, so to take such a simplistic view shows a lack of depth to your thinking.

leno sucks--has for years--bland, warmed over humor

conan is a comedic genius, imo.

when you only have an antennae & no cable tv, my choices are limited. i will really miss conan if he goes, which looks like is going to happen. i will never watch leno again--he's a self-centered moron. he's a prime example of how mediocrity is celebrated and rewarded in life.

M. Lindeman 4 years, 3 months ago

Do you think Johnny would mind if we dug him up and put him back on the tonight show? I NBC's rating would come out of the tank then.

50YearResident 4 years, 3 months ago

Leno is out. He ran the course and used up his charm. Let Conan have it for better or worse, in richness and wealth, until "death do the show part".

prospector 4 years, 3 months ago

Autie, what about The Man From U.N.C.L.E.?

"Littlejohn", Dick Peabody was a B-in-law of a friend of my mom's. Got a chance to meet him when I was about 10. I remember him telling me they used chocolate syrup for blood because you can't tell the difference in black and white.

He is a KC native which I did not know until I pulled this up.

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

I think they should just take it off the air entirely and replace it with reruns of Welcome Back Kotter or Combat.

sundancewierdo 4 years, 3 months ago

Niether one should host. There are way too many channels anymore and noone is watching. I'd rather watch family guy reruns on adult swim. Or any documentary on history, discovery, science channel, and the list goes on and on. Late night talk shows are outdated!!!

BrianR 4 years, 3 months ago

Given the choices, definitely Conan. I do miss Johnny though.

cheeseburger 4 years, 3 months ago

brujablanco 4 years, 3 months ago

You are right, prospector. If I had to chose - Leno would go, he's boring.

prospector 4 years, 3 months ago

It stopped being the Tonight Show when Johnny retired.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

☺ Good morning all! Personally it's Craig Ferguson for me over those guys, but after what Jimmy Fallon did to that American Idol song, I may have to reopen this old church into the First Church of Jimmy Fallon. We need one more road side attraction don't we?

Maybe I could make embroider ball caps and pillows with famous comments by LJW posters, sell biscuits, Klondike bars, faux lemur tails hats for the kids, scarfs for the ladies, Get autie to package up some thin pancake mix. Stock everyone's own mix of BBQ rub..hahaha. Wouldn't that be a hoot. Come down here and there would be a rack of 35 different kinds..alphabetical autie...gootsie (because we know she's famous for her rac..er, I mean, BBQ)..riverdrifter... Roedapple...TOB....xbusguy

In case you've missed it...

Idol: (or how it all started) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMwhl4...

Jimmy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2WfUzNYPwo

and now: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-borowitz/poll-americans-with-pants_b_425277.html

I do believe the pants down mockery revolution has started!

Tom Shewmon 4 years, 3 months ago

Definitely Conan. Jay's OK, I've meant him and my wife and I have pics with him, but Conan gets more laughs out of me.

"Neither are anywhere near Dave's caliber."

Dave Letterman s*cks------ period----like Jon Stewart, not funny, not inspiring., not interesting. They use their shows as a political forum and for Kool-Aid drinkers, I guess it's good.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 3 months ago

I hardly ever watch either, but despite Conan's penchant for being weird for weird's sake, I find him much funnier than Leno, who I really don't find funny at all.

OonlyBonly 4 years, 3 months ago

Neither are anywhere near Dave's caliber.

grammaddy 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree Jonas, I never thought Leno was funny. That's why I watch Dave. Conan should take over and move Jimmy up.

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

Not only should Jay not host, he should also be exiled from TV, and maybe tossed into a volcano while we're at it.

Seriously, as unfunny as you can possibly get. The only thing that makes listening to a monologue by him remotely bearable is mentally superimposing Bill Hicks's mocking of him on top of his own voice.