Previous   Next

Which way are the hands going to move on the Doomsday Clock?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on January 14, 2010

Browse the archives

“I believe they will move forward, closer to midnight.”

“It’s going to move towards midnight because we’re really bad to our world.”

“Away from midnight … with all the extensive spraying they’ve been doing in the sky, I’m pretty sure that’s kind of curbing global warming.”

“My gut says closer to midnight - call it a ‘maternal instinct.’”

Comments

OonlyBonly 4 years, 3 months ago

I see it was moved back a minute. Surprised me.

CWGOKU 4 years, 3 months ago

Hence the name Sunshine. As in a ray of. Well stated. I tend to be a worrier, thanks for the reminder.

Kat Christian 4 years, 3 months ago

Who cares? I don't! Life is to be lived, not regretted by worrying about when it will end. It will end when it is your time to end. If doomsday comes, it comes. Nothing we can do to stop it is there? I think humans have created enough havoc in this world - perhaps doomsday is our just cause... In the meantime I LIVE - because I'm ALIVE!!

BABBOY 4 years, 3 months ago

Does it matter? I am always late anyways.....

Larry Bauerle 4 years, 3 months ago

It will have to either go forward or be close to "doomsday," otherwise the doomsdayers would have no reason to exist.

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 3 months ago

I say back one minute.. ok I cheated they just announced the clock reset.

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

No auger. A strategery update summit might be in order. We may need to utilize the secure com/sat scrambler at some point soon. And the alpha/numeric coded system will fail as demonstrated by the fiasco commenced 6 April, 10:52 hours; concluded 9 April, 20:36 hours.

CWGOKU 4 years, 3 months ago

Spacehog hated?! No way, not by me. I enjoy reading his comments almost as much as T_O_B and Autie. I still want to be at one of his Christmas parties.

somedude20 4 years, 3 months ago

Do go off the one around flavor flav's neck?

Yeah boy!

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

haha space, you silly. I think you've earned immunity from that title by sticking with this motley group of ruffians for so long. ☺☺☺ You might get some rolled eyes or shakes of the head from time to time, but hardly worse then that, lol.

I think we need 10:21 of the Heep to play along as we read down this thread. It can make the Puffs Plus with Vicks seem like a Zig Zag prepping for combustion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiK5st...

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"When those of us who have prepared are battling the giant cockroaches, you'll be sorry."

Battling the giant cockroaches? Hell, I just planned on treating it like several snow days and just sit in my bunker and drink beer.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

Mel, When those of us who have prepared are battling the giant cockroaches, you'll be sorry.

jonas_opines 4 years, 3 months ago

I predict that it will move past 12:00, and that they will then realize that the clock was running on military time and so we have quite a ways to go.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 3 months ago

spacehog, i know, right? i gave teddy a shout out in my music thread.

i'm tired of hearing about the doomsday this and that. hogwash-- all of it.

75x55 4 years, 3 months ago

spraying - someone with a sense of humor!

...we hope....

:D

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

TY, and much love to you all!

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"I'm betting I'm still the most hated person on this page." Hog

Not even close.

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Bob, I'm sure I offended someone, but it wasn't you, Irish. Just keep on truckin' and don't let it bug you. I'm betting I'm still the most hated person on this page. Oh, I know what I was gonna say: Teddy Pendergrass 1950-2010 RIP Midnight Lover!

BorderRat 4 years, 3 months ago

Hands? It went digital years ago and has been blinking 12:00 because nobody knows how to reset it after the power went out.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"Maybe a strategery meeting for a refresher is in order. I will look for intel, you got an ice auger?"

I was thinking about this. Autie is going to be in town soon for a game. Perhaps a pregame meet up.

prospector 4 years, 3 months ago

Autie, did you forget this was one of the primary reason to build the bunker in the beginning?

This was written pre 9/11, so they have really been able to bury this deep.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

I think a healthy distrust of government is a good thing

Keep up the good fight Patrick!!!!

tolawdjk 4 years, 3 months ago

Thank His Noodlily Apendage that Patrick is a musician. I think I would have been more terrified if he had stated his profession as "brain surgeon" or "rocket scientist."

A20271 4 years, 3 months ago

I went to HS with Patrick. lol He's probably talking about airplane emissions?

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

What is Patrick talking about anyway? Any of you all got a clue what they are spraying in the sky? Last time I got this worried is when they blew up that satellite and the fuel cell material was supposed to fall on us.

prospector 4 years, 3 months ago

BOO!

They are not going anywhere.

R_I, Get yourself one of these to help you keep track of that.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

This doomsday clock that worries me, and it's digital...

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 3 months ago

Bob, no it wasn't me, I just got on and I have no idea what he wrote. Your comment was really out of line. I believe that life on this planet will end when the sun goes nova, whenever that end. Lurking? Come on now!

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

Who suggested removal of Spacehog's post? Is Irish lurking on here now? Lame.

"But moving away from the purity of essence of a nuclear based doomsday clock, to a clock running on Al Gore standard time just is wrong"

Oh, the clock has gone from nuclear to carbon powered? I did not know that.

Chris Ogle 4 years, 3 months ago

Tuesday..... my clock just shows the day of the week.

Kirk Larson 4 years, 3 months ago

Hands on the clock? I've met kids who can't say what clockwise or counter-clockwise are 'cause all they know is digital.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

T_O_B, The Ruskies are still operating and updating "Operation Perimeter" or "Dead Hand", their perpetual doomsday machine.

But moving away from the purity of essence of a nuclear based doomsday clock, to a clock running on Al Gore standard time just is wrong.

Eddie Teller would be Rolling in his grave.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

My Doomsday Clock has its hands in its trousers.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

TOB, they've been around for a long time and not much came up of it, but have you forgotten Sheen's recent E.L.E.? Give it time, the man creates more fusion than the naked eye can see.

CWGOKU 4 years, 3 months ago

Doomday clock........ wow, thanks for the flashback. I need to go find my bell bottom jeans.
Oh, you are all in weird moods today. And I am enjoying the banter. Thanks!

Marion Lynn 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, Iran is at about 5 seconds before Midnight...............

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Hats off to you, K! He wrote that during his "Christian phase". Some good stuff came out of that period, but it didn't last long, thank God:) [on why he renounced his faith in Christianity] Because I felt so damned guilty all the time.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

Doomsday Clock? Are the Soviets coming?

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

and in other news, "The record pace of the sale of tin foil hats has stimulated wall street as the markets creep higher".....

consumer1 4 years, 3 months ago

Ahhhh, Lawrence. amazing!! Kansas, as wierd as you think!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

I am still wondering just how the clock got set to run on Al Gore standard time 3 years ago.

It used to be all I had to worry about was knowing how to "Duck and Cover", but now I have to worry about Copenhagen chewing Prii drivers in China.

Oh and that pesky H1N1 virus - a genetically manufactured military biological warfare weapon discovered in Mexico just after Obama's visit.

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 3 months ago

Are you ready for the judgment? Are you ready for that terrible swift sword? Are you ready for Armageddon? Are you ready for the day of the Lord?

Bob Dylan Are You Ready

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

Speaking of the end is near...

Did you all notice the ages of the poor souls in the obits today?

47, 56, 63, 63, 67, 74

Life happens and then it doesn't. May they rest in peace. You all take care of yourselves out there, starting today,'k?

Let's get those nasty, wet, brown, decomposing, crumpled leaves we call our bodies turned over now that the snow is melting.

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

My doomsday clock is just standing there with its hands in its pockets. Shiny side out, dude. Spacehog, go back to bed and get up in a hour and start over.

gphawk89 4 years, 3 months ago

I have to go with Iron Maiden on this one: "Two Minutes to Midnight"

Seriously, though if we move this historic symbol (originally intended to indicate the likelihood of nuclear war) closer to midnight due to the supposed threat of "climate change", then it's significance ranks somewhere way down there with the Nobel prize.

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

2 questions: What the hell is a Doomsday Clock and where can I get one? Snap, what does "shiny side out" mean? I like it, I just don't know what it means. 10-4, good buddy!

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

LOL, Boeing! But don't be deceived. The first guy is a hippy too. His hair just fell out. Pat! Dude! What have you been smoking? Man, I've been on some incredible trips. I just finished dancing with the gnomes in my living room. 'Scuze me while I kiss the sky......

Boeing 4 years, 3 months ago

Did they ask anyone who doesn't look like a modern-day hippy? Well, the first guy kind of passes.

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says…

“…extensive spraying in the sky…”? Shiny side out, dude.

Ahahaha

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

"...extensive spraying in the sky..."? Shiny side out, dude.