Previous   Next

Do you think the KU men’s basketball team will lose again this year?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa on January 12, 2010

Browse the archives

“I think they’ll lose one more game, but they can still win the championship.”

“I’d say there’s a possibility.”

“Well, I hope not, but it might have been good for them to have one loss.”

“I think that they might lose one or two more this year, but I think that they need to in order to win the championship.”

Comments

looza 5 years, 6 months ago

I say they lose 4 more times. I say Washburn loses 14 more times.

leedavid 5 years, 6 months ago

As ugly as they are playing....they are capable of more losing more. I hope they drop the no look pass and some of the other silly game play designed to make them look like the superstars they think they are. Get back to the basics and being fundamentally sound. Let the Harlem Globtrotters do the superstar stuff.

Rex Russell 5 years, 6 months ago

Total of 4 losses for the year. 1 to Tennessee,2 more in league play (Texas and KState away) and one in the Big Dance in the Elite Eight game.

jonas_opines 5 years, 6 months ago

Texas and K-State have been my prediction. Maybe a loss to Texas in the Big 12 Tournament. I still think we have a good shot at the final four. As good as anybody's since they'll be playing harder and more in focus by then.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 6 months ago

i predict one or two more losses for the season but none of them will be during the NCAA tourney. think positive, people!

slowplay 5 years, 6 months ago

Odds are they will lose one or two more. At Texas, K-state and Missou are the likeliest. That said, I don't believe any team in the country can match up if KU is at the top of their game. Someone said they will lose in the Elite Eight. Sorry, I don't see it. If they make it that far I believe they will be focused on the Final Four. And, as I said, no one can match the talent on this team.

grammaddy 5 years, 6 months ago

I hope so. They need to be humbled into playing better. Seems like we do better in the "Big Dance" when we are not the #1 seed.

CLARKKENT 5 years, 6 months ago

YES, THE K-STATE AND TEXAS ARE A POSSIBILITY. DO NOT FORGET MISSOURI AT COLUMBIA. [WHAT A HELL HOLE TO HAVE TO GO TO.] ALSO, I THINK ON A GIVIN NIGHT BAYLOR COULD BE A TOUGH GAME.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

I'm with TOB, of course they'll lose again. And what's wrong with that? Look, KU could probably lose the rest of their games and still make the tourney as a bubble team. As long as you're in the tourney, you can win it.

What's all this BS about "we need to lose to win"? I hear this crap every year when KU loses while ranked #1. They've only won one championship in the last 20 years...so it worked once maybe? What a bunch of bull.

I think they spend too much time playing cupcakes and then act surprised when a ranked team beats them on the road. The tourney is won on the road...you gotta win six in row. They should play more tough road games during non-con. Who cares if they lose 7-10 games on the season? They'll still make the tourney. Maybe they'd be better prepared to make a run in the tourney. Allen Fieldhouse is great and all, but none of the champoinship games are played there.

slowplay 5 years, 6 months ago

"But, It is hard to root for KU sometimes. It is hard because one constantly hears how good they are or what they are going to do. It is kind of snotty and clearly unrealistic." ....

I don't know where you are coming from with this comment. KU IS good. Winning it all is a reasonable expectation from both the fans and I certainly hope the players believe this as well.

Reesing was a ligit Heisman candidate when the season started and KU should have competed for the Big 12 title as well as a BCS bowl game. Why do you think Mangino is no longer the coach?

All of the above are, or were, reasonable expectations.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree BABBOY, I get real sick of the hype.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

Those were bold predictions for a program that historically, is a catfish in the Big 12 North...bottom feeder (football-wise).

Uhjh 5 years, 6 months ago

Probably three more two big 12 and one in the dance.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

I read the KC Star more than this cruddy paper...much better sports coverage. But I have to read this paper, because I live here.

Sorry, it doesn't mean anything to me when KU blows out some cupcake in Lawrence. Herny looked so good early on...where was he in the Tenn game? Now that the games are getting tougher, he's disappeared.

If you think Collins can win you the champoinship throwing up 30-foot treys then, by all means, get fired up.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

Anybody still touting Henry in that Henry VS Wall debate?

Didn't think so.

purplesage 5 years, 6 months ago

Coach Self and his team are still #1. Doesn't matter what the polls say, they are an example of excellence - though not perfection - and a credit to the university and the community. I hope they win and win some more though the tough part of the schedule lies ahead. A loss or two is conceivable.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

Don't take all this the wrong way. I still like KU, I root for them, I'm just realistic about what they might achieve and I don't get suicidal every time the lose a game. They're one of the best teams in the country, but winning the dance is very hard.

Most people around here have that National Title or bust mentality. It's an unfair expectation year in and year out. There's nothing wrong with winning the Big 12 all the time and losing in the tournament. For a lot of teams, just making the tourney is a big deal.

RonBurgandy 5 years, 6 months ago

Yup. Easily. But anything under 5 losses overall is not bad.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

Would anyone really be disappointed if KU finished say 19-11 and won the National Title?

You'd be a lot more disppointed if they went 25-6 and lost early. Everyone forget about 04-05 and 05-06 already?

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

If you're only concerned with what goes on in this small Kansas town...the Urinal World is for you.

slowplay 5 years, 6 months ago

Ricky,

I see your point, but that's not what being a fan is all about. You always root for the highest expectation possible. Every year KU has a legitimate shot at the national championship. This program is one of the best in the country. It's an expectation that is necessary to maintain that elite status. Can they do it? Who knows? As you pointed out, they may lose in the first round. But, it cannot be denied that they have the talent and experience AND coaching to win it all. As a fan, I'm expecting them to do just that. If they fall short I'll cry in my beer for a few days and start thinking about next year, when I will again expect them to make another run at the championship.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

I agree that they have a chance every year. But the fact that they've only done it twice in the last 20 years...5 times in their history proves that it's really hard to do.

I'll root for them to go all the way, but I won't call them failures when they bow out of the tournament early.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 6 months ago

My point was this:

Expectations are so high for this team (as they should be). Who cares how many games they lose? The goal is the NCAA Title every year. All KU has to do is get into the tournament...which is pretty much automatic these days.

They should prepare for this by playing a tougher schedule with more road games, IMO.

Rex Russell 5 years, 6 months ago

I forgot about the Big 12 Tourney. Add a second loss to Texas. We have been exposed now. Memphis, Cornell, and Tennessee all played up-tempo, super-pressure defense, shoot it from beyond the arc, rebound basketball and that is the perfect recipe to play against us. Everyone now knows it. I am a huge fan but, I can also see our collective warts. Weaker defense than other years, the rebounding is almost non-existant lately. And with all due respect because I really like the guy, if Mr.Henry has any delusions that he's ready to handle the pressures of the NBA night after night, after 1 college season, he's setting himself up for a short pro career. Overall, it isn't skills we are laking of late, it's something closer to something mental or fire-in-the-belly. Kind of reminds me of the feeling you got about a month before all the KU football -blank- hit the fan. Something is up behind the scences I'm guessing, we just don't know what yet. They've had this funk for about a month now.

diplomacy205 5 years, 6 months ago

Rex makes good sense. I agreed with his post.