Previous   Next

Who takes care of your pets while you’re on vacation?

Asked at Pet World, 711 W. 23rd St. on January 11, 2010

Browse the archives

“My friend. He takes care of my two turtles, two snakes, a dog and a cat.”

“We take them with us — three small Shih Tzus.”

“My family takes care of my two cats.”

“My friends take care of my snake and kitten.”

Related story

Comments

sustainabilitysister 5 years, 5 months ago

Does Pet World still sell spider monkeys and puppy mill and kitty mill animals? I stopped shopping there a long time ago because of these practices. I know the Lawrence Humane Society has spoken to them about these issues throughout the years in trying to educate them on the ethical issues surrounding these practices and I'm wondering if they have changed their ways.

Nikki May 5 years, 5 months ago

When was that? They very rarely had puppies or kittens while I lived in Lawrence (and NONE in very recent history - having the humane society come in instead). I never saw them selling spider monkeys. They had some, I never saw them for sale.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

that's the great thing about cats. put extra litter in the litter box, put down a couple of big dishes of dry food and an extra dish of water and they are good for a few days.

Alycat 5 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence Pet Friends. That way, my dogs can stay in the comfort of their own home. Plus, they leave awesome notes about what happened during each visit! 4 stars from me!

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 5 months ago

We have two cats. If we're just leaving for the weekend I make sure the litter is completely changed and clean and leave extra water and food down for them. If we're gone any longer than that my daughter comes by and checks on them daily. Although cats are very independent creatures they aren't anti-social either. They have each other as companions but appreciate the human contact with my daughter. She will sit on the couch and they will be all over her to get their "pettin's". When they are done and grow bored with her they will wander off. She will check the litter and food situation, put down fresh water and be on her way. The cats know when we are leaving to go out of town when they see the suitcases come out. Frequently one of them will try to climb into it when I'm packing. I don't like the idea of boarding cats unless there's no other choice. They are very territorial and being thrown into new surroundings makes them miserable. Frequently, "boarding" consists of being confined to a crate cage and only being let out for a certain time. One time I had to be gone for a little over three months. A friend of mine took my cats into her home and cared for them until I returned. They were skittish the first week but once they settled in and established their territory they were fine.

Cait McKnelly 5 years, 5 months ago

I got a kitten from Pet World in 1990. It was sold to me as being 7 weeks old. As I always do when I acquire a new pet I immediately took it to the vet. When she examined it she told me the kitten was only about 4-5 weeks old. All of it's milk teeth hadn't even erupted yet. I went back to to the store and told them what the vet told me. They told me that the kittens had been sold to them as 7 weeks old and immediately put a Not for Sale sign on the rest of the kittens. For the next two weeks my daughter fed the little guy a mixture of kitten milk replacement and Gerber strained meat from a teaspoon on the advice of the vet. He grew up healthy and happy. I went back and checked with Pet World and they were caring for the kittens just as I was and didn't sell them until they were fully weaned. I really have to commend them for that.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 5 months ago

honeychild (Mel Briscoe) says…

that's the great thing about cats. put extra litter in the litter box, put down a couple of big dishes of dry food and an extra dish of water and they are good for a few days.

... and people say Cats are like women...

acg 5 years, 5 months ago

My dog died in 05 and I never got another one. Our cat ran off in 07 and good riddance cause I hated that thing. My kid's lizard died and he gave his gerbils away because he didn't feel like taking proper care of them. I am finally animal free and yippee, it rocks. I no longer have pet hair on my couch, poop in my yard or a box in my basement (gross, cats just gross me out) nor do I have to worry about rushing home to let something out to pee or feed it. I have three kids and that's just like having a house full of animals.

Kirk Larson 5 years, 5 months ago

If I'm gone for more than a few days, I have friends who will look in on my 2 cats: add food, scoop poop, give them some attention. One of my cats climbs in the suitcase when I pack. It's cute until I realize how much hair gets on my clothes!

schula 5 years, 5 months ago

I have a good friend who comes over and takes care of my cat.

Kat Christian 5 years, 5 months ago

I love Lawrence Pet Friends 785-760-3946. They do a wonderful job caring for your pets in your home. Upon my return it is like I never left - they are relaxed, happy, at home. They document every time they visit and what they do, behavior of your pet. I just can't say enough wonderful things about them. Worth the money compared to kennel care.

grtnrse 5 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence Pet Friends is the only way to go!! Great staff, great service......great peace of mind!!

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 5 months ago

I leave Marion with my favorite large animal veterinarian.

nbnozzy 5 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence Animal Hospital boards my daschund when I take a vacation. Nice to have professionals caring for my dog at a reasonable price.

Mary Darst 5 years, 5 months ago

Mine go to the vet. for boarding. I honestly don't trust anyone else. I'm just a little paranoid about my C.J. and Lils.

acg 5 years, 5 months ago

I think when the kids get a bit older I may consider a puppy for a family addition. I miss having a dog around cause my Miss Mia was just awesome and lived to be 16! Right now the kids are too young and I am too busy. I hate it when people get a dog, put it in the backyard and pretty much forget its back there. Its better to not have one than have one you don't have the time or patience for.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

spacehog, i am so sorry to hear about your dog. in my family, our animals have always been family members and i have continued that in my own adulthood, w/ my own household.

when our cat lucy died a couple of years ago, we were all very upset and alot of tears flowed at our house. we have 3 cats now, one is 7 and the other two are kittens (under 1 yr old). i grew up w/ both cats and dogs and have also owned a ferret (who is missed as well). they are beloved members of our lives and they deserve to know that they are loved while they are here as well as when they are gone.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 5 months ago

@ gnome, LOL-- i just now saw your comment. ;P

relocatedtarheel 5 years, 5 months ago

Sorry to hear about your dog Spacehog. I had to put a cat to sleep in Nov. 2008 because he had lymphoma...it's hard. My thoughts are with you this week.

To answer the question, I used Leslie of Pet Sitters when I went away for Christmas. She's great.

relocatedtarheel 5 years, 5 months ago

Sorry, Leslie runs Pet Minders, not Pet Sitters.

bencrush 5 years, 5 months ago

My wife and I have been very pleased with Exclusive Pet Care Service, owned and operated by Jane Butterfield, for over 4 years.

asbury 5 years, 5 months ago

Sorry spacehog. Dogs are the best....

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence Pet Friends take care of my two cats when I go out of town. They are definitely amazing. They will come as often as you wish, not only check food, water and litter but also play with the animals. And as noted above, they leave awesome notes about each visit. They in fact hooked me up with my second cat after I lost a cat.

Lawrence Pet Friends - 785-760-3946

Jersey_Girl 5 years, 5 months ago

Spacehog - I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. Having to make the decision to put a pet to sleep is an awful thing. I'm sorry you and your family have to endure such a thing.