Previous   Next

Do you prepare your own taxes?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on January 6, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, not anymore because I can get them done free at the Senior Center.”

“My husband and I have used TurboTax for years because it’s easier.”

“No, they are too complicated because I own a business.”

“Yes, because I can.”

Comments

purplesage 5 years, 8 months ago

In a sense the government "prepares" them with a tax code so complex that a lawyer has to have his done. Pretty ridiculous.

With the current spending trends in D.C. a flat tax of around 60% of your check might be in order.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 8 months ago

nope, i go to this place in salina called R&J tax service. i used to go to H&R but they got too dang expensive.

brujablanco 5 years, 8 months ago

Please fix the typo: Do you prepare YOUR own taxes?

Thanks.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

I also get my taxes done at the Senior Center. One of the perks of being old and having a body that is falling apart. "My candle burns at both ends, It will not last the night, But, oh, my friends, and ah, my foes, It gives a lovely light." Anyone know who wrote that? Just popped into my mind for some reason that we will never know.

oldvet 5 years, 8 months ago

Donnuts says… Yeah, but in a couple of years they are going to be too complex to.

In a couple of years they will be simple...
Q.1 How much did you make this year?
Q.2 How much did you have withheld for taxes? Instruction: Subtract the amount in Q.2 from the amount in Q1. This result is the amount of tax you owe. Send it to the IRS to pay for our spending.

paisley 5 years, 8 months ago

We currently use Turbo Tax BUT what is the criteria to use the help from the Senior Center?

Boeing 5 years, 8 months ago

I have a CPA friend in Los Angeles who is willing to do mine for free if I get them to him by February 28...I'd be crazy not to take advantage of that!

Tom McCune 5 years, 8 months ago

If you have substantial income and prepare your own taxes, your odds of being audited are much higher. If you have them prepared and filed by a CPA or an IRS Enrolled Agent, you odds of being audited are much lower.

Fixed_Asset 5 years, 8 months ago

Edna St. Vincent Millay wrote that Irish. I am in wonderful shape for my age, and don't think of myself as "old"

dajudge 5 years, 8 months ago

I do my own taxes with TurboTax and have for the last 10 or 12 years. Before that, I just filled out the paperwork by hand. In Atlanta, the post office was open till midnight and I would have to drive down there at the last minute. They had people out front with grocery carts to take the returns as a drive by drop off. Now, I have a business, small, sure, but I still do my own taxes, so I know what the heck is going on with them.

MaryKatesPillStash 5 years, 8 months ago

TurboTax has been offering free federal filing for the past few years. I will do that for my federal taxes, then probably do my state taxes myself (I have to file in 3 states--YUCK).

tomatogrower 5 years, 8 months ago

So, all you tax haters do not drive on highways? You do not cross bridges? You shovel your own street? You will be rich enough not to use Medicare when you retire? You are willing to adopt poor children, so they won't starve to death. You are willing to starve to death and die if misfortune should befall you? You are willing to fight the war most conservatives support for free, or work in an arms factory for free? You are willing to give up the high school diploma you earned at a public school? You are willing to give up your college degree(s) that you earned at a public university? You are willing to give up the internet, which never would have been created without tax dollars? You would be willing to die of many diseases that were made less dangerous with help from tax money?

Yes, there are a lot of things that our money is wasted on, but no one wants to look at the things that our tax monies have accomplished. Go ahead, don't pay your taxes, but give up your car or pay the rest of us to use the roads our taxes pay for. Don't go to the doctor when you get sick, unless he guarantees your treatment was never created with tax dollars. And don't send your kids to public school, and be ready to give up your degrees. Oh, and don't complain about bombers on airplanes. Tax paid security has prevented a lot of tragedies from happening; it isn't perfect, but there would have been a lot more bombings if all you conservatives had your way. You have no idea how hypocritical you whiners sound.

K_Verses_The_World 5 years, 8 months ago

My daddy he made whiskey, my granddaddy he did too We ain't paid no whiskey tax since 1792.

RonBurgandy 5 years, 8 months ago

The wife does it. So my answer would be no, but her's would be yes.

tomatogrower 5 years, 8 months ago

spacehog, you paid to go to your public school? You paid directly for your streets and highways? You need to get out more, since these things are paid with tax money. I don't disagree that there isn't waste, but we have a lot of things that only rich people could afford, because we pay taxes. Countries without public education have a lot of uneducated people.

RonBurgandy 5 years, 8 months ago

tomatogrower - I don't think you are a "complete d-bag."

K_Verses_The_World 5 years, 8 months ago

This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Romans 13: 6 & 7

Vic 5 years, 8 months ago

I do mine, my roommate's, both my brothers' and my parents' taxes. It's not hard really.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks Roe and Fixed_Asset. I like both Edna St. Vincent Millay and Bob Dylan. But this is my favorite. I also like Robert Service. That man knew how to tell a story in rhyme.

"Sea-Fever"

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by, And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking, And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied; And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying, And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life, To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

By John Masefield (1878-1967). (English Poet Laureate, 1930-1967.)

GardenMomma 5 years, 8 months ago

Copy editor! Oh, copy editor!

What's wrong with this question: "Do you prepare you own taxes?"

Did that typo actually make it into the paper version?

tomatogrower 5 years, 8 months ago

Hope you find a job soon, spacehog. It sounds like you have had some rough times lately. Good luck.

Deja Coffin 5 years, 8 months ago

I do my own taxes and keep the 250+ dollars I'd have to pay in tax prep fees to myself! Even when I worked as a tax preparer I always thought the fees were way too high. There are too many programs, websites, community libraries, etc. that'll do the average persons taxes for free. Be wise and look into all your options! I wonder if SRS offers any programs for the lower class citizens because I really feel like that's the percentage that either don't care about their fees because of their large refunds or doesn't know enough about their options.

ldvander 5 years, 8 months ago

Yeah cuz im single and it takes like 5 minutes. Sheesh

Stephen Roberts 5 years, 8 months ago

Tomatoegrower- just to a little clear. I pay REAL ESTATE TAX for schools. The Federal and state government also kick in money for education. The state's share comes from SALES TAX and Income tax.

Stephen Roberts 5 years, 8 months ago

Tomatoegrwer- after re-reading your posts. If my income taxes goes to pay for schools, amybe we need more people in Kansas to pay income taxes. Maybe we should raise all of the income tax rates??? I got it, if we tax everyone at flat rate of 6% based on income and not allow any credits, how much would that bring in???

GardenMomma 5 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for fixing the typo. It reads so much better now.

LadyJ 5 years, 8 months ago

Multi- want a good laugh, to this web site http://thereifixedit.com/ The city and school district could get a lot of good tips on how to save money. Sad thing is, I could post some of my husbands work on the site.