Previous   Next

Do you prepare your own taxes?

Asked at The Merc, 901 Iowa St. on January 6, 2010

Browse the archives

“No, not anymore because I can get them done free at the Senior Center.”

“My husband and I have used TurboTax for years because it’s easier.”

“No, they are too complicated because I own a business.”

“Yes, because I can.”

Comments

TrooGrit 4 years, 3 months ago

Not to be off topic here, but since God, religion, and taxes seem to be discussed here, here I'll go:

Taxes: Too much goes for too little (a statement of government in general)

God: A lot is said, but little is done, and the drones who deny him grow louder. I'll love the look on their faces.

Religion: Own worst enemy. Eletist club, when even Jesus welcomed thieves and whores into his midst. I've not seen a church lately welcome into their midst a drunkard/thief into their midst, although I've not seen a drunkard/thief amend, either.

Just musings.

LadyJ 4 years, 3 months ago

Multi- want a good laugh, to this web site http://thereifixedit.com/ The city and school district could get a lot of good tips on how to save money. Sad thing is, I could post some of my husbands work on the site.

GardenMomma 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for fixing the typo. It reads so much better now.

commuter 4 years, 3 months ago

Tomatoegrwer- after re-reading your posts. If my income taxes goes to pay for schools, amybe we need more people in Kansas to pay income taxes. Maybe we should raise all of the income tax rates??? I got it, if we tax everyone at flat rate of 6% based on income and not allow any credits, how much would that bring in???

commuter 4 years, 3 months ago

Tomatoegrower- just to a little clear. I pay REAL ESTATE TAX for schools. The Federal and state government also kick in money for education. The state's share comes from SALES TAX and Income tax.

ldvander 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah cuz im single and it takes like 5 minutes. Sheesh

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"and I will always try to do what Bob Dylan would do." Spacehog

Right on. Your input is always appreciated on my end.

Tomatogrower - Hat tip to you.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 3 months ago

I do my own taxes and keep the 250+ dollars I'd have to pay in tax prep fees to myself! Even when I worked as a tax preparer I always thought the fees were way too high. There are too many programs, websites, community libraries, etc. that'll do the average persons taxes for free. Be wise and look into all your options! I wonder if SRS offers any programs for the lower class citizens because I really feel like that's the percentage that either don't care about their fees because of their large refunds or doesn't know enough about their options.

tomatogrower 4 years, 3 months ago

Hope you find a job soon, spacehog. It sounds like you have had some rough times lately. Good luck.

GardenMomma 4 years, 3 months ago

Copy editor! Oh, copy editor!

What's wrong with this question: "Do you prepare you own taxes?"

Did that typo actually make it into the paper version?

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Good poem, Irish. And I know I've pissed you off in the past with my misogynist comments. It's all in the game. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. You seem to be a very nice, well-read, intelligent person. Plus, I think you're the first person to say something nice about Bob. Thanks!!

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, TOB. I'm going through some bad withdrawal symptoms today. And I apologize to you, tomatogrower. Right now , I wish I had a job so I could pay taxes. I feel very privileged to have gone to Centennial Elemantary, CJHS, LHS, and KU. Honestly, if I won the lottery, I would give a big chunk to the to the Sally Army (as my dad calls it-they were very good to him during WWII, he was a platoon leader in the British RAF), this city, and anyone I could help. Again, please accept my apologies for my nasty comments, and I will always try to do what Bob Dylan would do.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 3 months ago

Thanks Roe and Fixed_Asset. I like both Edna St. Vincent Millay and Bob Dylan. But this is my favorite. I also like Robert Service. That man knew how to tell a story in rhyme.

"Sea-Fever"

I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky, And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by, And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sail's shaking, And a grey mist on the sea's face, and a grey dawn breaking.

I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied; And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying, And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life, To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife; And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when the long trick's over.

By John Masefield (1878-1967). (English Poet Laureate, 1930-1967.)

Vic 4 years, 3 months ago

I do mine, my roommate's, both my brothers' and my parents' taxes. It's not hard really.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

Spacehog -

Name calling doesn't become you. Just remember the motto... WWBDD?

Anjum 4 years, 3 months ago

Jesus really got that one wrong.

TrooGrit 4 years, 3 months ago

K...this is why God will destroy the World soon. Read in Revelations where God becomes so dissastified with "our" world that he basically declares war on it. The Four Headman. Just because a tax is a tax, does not mean it's "just".

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 3 months ago

This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give everyone what you owe him: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

Romans 13: 6 & 7

RonBurgandy 4 years, 3 months ago

tomatogrower - I don't think you are a "complete d-bag."

tomatogrower 4 years, 3 months ago

spacehog, you paid to go to your public school? You paid directly for your streets and highways? You need to get out more, since these things are paid with tax money. I don't disagree that there isn't waste, but we have a lot of things that only rich people could afford, because we pay taxes. Countries without public education have a lot of uneducated people.

RonBurgandy 4 years, 3 months ago

The wife does it. So my answer would be no, but her's would be yes.

TrooGrit 4 years, 3 months ago

tomato grower, you are passioned, of that I agree. Go to California, and see how your FEDERAL taxes are spent. Go outside your own door. I invite you. You'll be disgusted! Don't bash conservatives, until you know for sure how the LIBERAL'S have spent your money!!!!

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

tomatogrower, you are obviously a complete d-bag. Most of the things you mentioned come out of our own pockets, not taxes. Most of our taxes go to beaurocrats to pay their salaries for sittng on their fat cans doing nothing, not even showing up to vote on important issues. And yeah, A-Hole, I would be willing to pay for many of the things you listed. Since you're so sincere, I'll send you my $20,000 in medical bills, since I have no insurance. Believe me, I used to work for the Fed, and I've witnessed the most shocking amount of waste you can imagine. But since you're such a wealthy person, I'd be happy to send you all the bills I can't pay, King. "They say that patriotism is the last refuge To which a scoundrel clings. Steal a little and they throw you in jail, Steal a lot and they make you king." -Bob Dylan

K_Verses_The_World 4 years, 3 months ago

My daddy he made whiskey, my granddaddy he did too We ain't paid no whiskey tax since 1792.

tomatogrower 4 years, 3 months ago

So, all you tax haters do not drive on highways? You do not cross bridges? You shovel your own street? You will be rich enough not to use Medicare when you retire? You are willing to adopt poor children, so they won't starve to death. You are willing to starve to death and die if misfortune should befall you? You are willing to fight the war most conservatives support for free, or work in an arms factory for free? You are willing to give up the high school diploma you earned at a public school? You are willing to give up your college degree(s) that you earned at a public university? You are willing to give up the internet, which never would have been created without tax dollars? You would be willing to die of many diseases that were made less dangerous with help from tax money?

Yes, there are a lot of things that our money is wasted on, but no one wants to look at the things that our tax monies have accomplished. Go ahead, don't pay your taxes, but give up your car or pay the rest of us to use the roads our taxes pay for. Don't go to the doctor when you get sick, unless he guarantees your treatment was never created with tax dollars. And don't send your kids to public school, and be ready to give up your degrees. Oh, and don't complain about bombers on airplanes. Tax paid security has prevented a lot of tragedies from happening; it isn't perfect, but there would have been a lot more bombings if all you conservatives had your way. You have no idea how hypocritical you whiners sound.

Anjum 4 years, 3 months ago

The psychology of the average person is funny, if they had to cut a check for their taxes once a year they would be outraged. Since it is mostly withheld a little at a time people don’t notice as much. Laws should be changed so folks have to write out that 10-20K check out of their account. The ranks of the conservatives would swell.

TrooGrit 4 years, 3 months ago

well, here's an idea: give up your citizenship, move to California. You get: free health care food stamps free schooling for any of your dependents (legal or illegal) free drugs social security benefits (thanks to Jimmy Carter) for those over 65 free sex education (read that, Planned Parenthood) free library priviledges free legal advice...

The list goes on and on...welcome to America, the land of the idiots!!!

CWGOKU 4 years, 3 months ago

Business owner, have to have a CPA do the taxes. I figured all the non-census takers would be non-tax payers too. I hate taxes like I hate this weather.

MaryKatesPillStash 4 years, 3 months ago

TurboTax has been offering free federal filing for the past few years. I will do that for my federal taxes, then probably do my state taxes myself (I have to file in 3 states--YUCK).

dajudge 4 years, 3 months ago

I do my own taxes with TurboTax and have for the last 10 or 12 years. Before that, I just filled out the paperwork by hand. In Atlanta, the post office was open till midnight and I would have to drive down there at the last minute. They had people out front with grocery carts to take the returns as a drive by drop off. Now, I have a business, small, sure, but I still do my own taxes, so I know what the heck is going on with them.

TrooGrit 4 years, 3 months ago

spacehog needs to take some meth lab lessons from autie.

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Edna St. Vincent Millay needs to take some writing lessons from Bob Dylan.

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Autie, I tried to get a write off last year when my meth lab exploded. No go. They just replaced it with a crummy cheap one and they didn't even give me the chemicals to go with it. Bush wanted to give me the death penalty but he forgot he wasn't the Gov. of Texas anymore, much less Kansas.

TrooGrit 4 years, 3 months ago

I find it very interesting that the government put out an opinion that their own IRS "advisors" (if you can call them that), they do not stand behind their advice. That is to say, if you call the IRS and ask a "what do I do" type question, that you will still be held liable if the advice is not correct! What a country, eh? Do away with the IRS NOW, and go with a consumption or flat tax, one or the other. But I know the tax preparation lobby of lawyers/crooks/thieves would not hear of it! What a country, eh?

Fixed_Asset 4 years, 3 months ago

Edna St. Vincent Millay wrote that Irish. I am in wonderful shape for my age, and don't think of myself as "old"

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

Prospector, I ain't too sure about that. If'n some of us good ole boys had to pay consumption tax, we'd be broke pretty quick. I'd probably wind up with a Friday night surcharge on top of the tax.

Newell_Post 4 years, 3 months ago

If you have substantial income and prepare your own taxes, your odds of being audited are much higher. If you have them prepared and filed by a CPA or an IRS Enrolled Agent, you odds of being audited are much lower.

prospector 4 years, 3 months ago

I heard yesterday that our Washington morons are considering legislation that will require preparers to be certified and regulated by the government. Guess who is going to pay more for tax preparation?

Can the whole damn thing!

Consumption Tax Now!

Boeing 4 years, 3 months ago

I have a CPA friend in Los Angeles who is willing to do mine for free if I get them to him by February 28...I'd be crazy not to take advantage of that!

paisley 4 years, 3 months ago

We currently use Turbo Tax BUT what is the criteria to use the help from the Senior Center?

RoeDapple 4 years, 3 months ago

Irish

Edna St. Vincent Millay

oldvet 4 years, 3 months ago

Donnuts says… Yeah, but in a couple of years they are going to be too complex to.

In a couple of years they will be simple...
Q.1 How much did you make this year?
Q.2 How much did you have withheld for taxes? Instruction: Subtract the amount in Q.2 from the amount in Q1. This result is the amount of tax you owe. Send it to the IRS to pay for our spending.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 3 months ago

I also get my taxes done at the Senior Center. One of the perks of being old and having a body that is falling apart. "My candle burns at both ends, It will not last the night, But, oh, my friends, and ah, my foes, It gives a lovely light." Anyone know who wrote that? Just popped into my mind for some reason that we will never know.

Anjum 4 years, 3 months ago

If the IRS question you just say you are vying for high level Democratic Party post and tax evasion is a prerequisite.

brujablanco 4 years, 3 months ago

Please fix the typo: Do you prepare YOUR own taxes?

Thanks.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"TOB, hey is the head of the treasury doesn’t have to pay his taxes, what the heck."

That's what I'm talking about.

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

My cousins does my taxes. We getting a big right off tis year for the equipment loss when the still blewed up back in november. We did a letter from them guys at IRS telling us not to use no more black crayons though.

Anjum 4 years, 3 months ago

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 3 months ago

nope, i go to this place in salina called R&J tax service. i used to go to H&R but they got too dang expensive.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh, hell no. I don't pay taxes. Most other people do, so I figure the government won't miss what I don't send in.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh wait, I used that one. How about, I just open up a vein...

Donnuts 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, but in a couple of years they are going to be too complex to.

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I'm preparing to own my taxes this year. I always do, or else I wouldn't have money for booze, drugs, and cigarettes. I'm not spending at the Merc though. It's a rip-off, it smells funny, and I can never find the whiskey and cigarettes. "All this talk about equality. The only thing people really have in common is that they are all going to die." -Bob Dylan

purplesage 4 years, 3 months ago

In a sense the government "prepares" them with a tax code so complex that a lawyer has to have his done. Pretty ridiculous.

With the current spending trends in D.C. a flat tax of around 60% of your check might be in order.