Previous   Next

Do you plan to take part in the 2010 Census?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Massachusetts St. on January 5, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes I do. I remember taking part in the last one. I sent it in late.”

“Yes I do. I think it’s important that everybody gets counted.”

“Yes I do, but I live at an odd rural address and I’d be surprised if anybody made it out there.”

“Yes I do. It’s my first one.”

Comments

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 3 months ago

No, I haven't paid incometax since 2004, and I have no tracking chip installed...I am the invisible man.

Agnostick 4 years, 3 months ago

fastwalker (Anonymous) says…

US government thinks it owns me? I'll be traveling to the other side of the mountains to lose the stink of your bureaucratic hides.

Glad to here yew 'n' yo kin got thet thar unnergrownd tunnil finisht. Few sqwirls, sum taters, and chawin' tobacky 'n' weel be reddy fer Judgmint Day!

Agnostick 4 years, 3 months ago

acg (Anonymous) says…

Are there people out there that don't take part in the census? Paranoid much? I have this mental pic of some idiot with a mullet and shotgun chasing those “revenuers off our land”.

"You men from the bank?"

"You Wash's boy?"

"Yassir! And Daddy tolt me I'm to shoot whosoever from the bank!"

"Well, we ain't from no bank, young feller."

"Yassir! I's also s'pose to shoot folks servin' papers!"

"Well, we ain't got no papers."

"Yassir! I nicked the census man!"

"Now, there's a good boy. Is your daddy about?"

fastwalker 4 years, 3 months ago

porch_person 4 years, 3 months ago

Michelle Bachmann told me not to participate because she might lose her seat if they redraw her district.

(laughter)

She's shmart!! Huh huh!!

And hawt!! Hyuk, hyuk!!

(laughter)

goatdog 4 years, 3 months ago

The first several decades of the american census only included adult white males who owned property. Perhaps we could return to these characteristics as our criteria for the standard by which citizens are considered suitable for the census.

feeble 4 years, 3 months ago

Blessed, you have confused the ACS with the Decennial Census, which is easy to do, as the ACS was part of the Census until recently. Now it is given every year.

"The" Census only has ten questions, none of which pertain to the details of your mortgage or your commute:

Your are correct in that the ACS does request information on personal finance topics, such as your mortgage.

Refuse to provide data to the US wastes all of our tax dollars, as these surveys are used to generate metrics used by Congress to determine spending. Further, it's not like you aren't reporting most of the personal finance information to the fed anyways, or do you skip out on paying taxes completely?

Blessed4x 4 years, 3 months ago

"feeble (Anonymous) says…

I love it when conservatives demand a strict, literal interpretation of the US Constitution and then rail against the census as unconstitutional.

Article 1, Section 2, clause 3 gentlemen.

Of course, the 14th Amendment, section 2 is also important. Perhaps citizens who disagree with the counting of non-citizens could seek to get this Amendment overturned?

To answer the original question, I've completed the ACS every year I've received one and will continue to do so. Same with the Decennial Census."

Funny...I read the whole thing and no where in there did it say anything about wanting to know what my mortgage payment was, when I left for work in the morning or how many miles I drove to work. All it referred to was a count of the citizens to apportion representatives. Curious. Maybe you're the one that needs to go back and read it, Feeble.

I have no problem telling them how many people are living in my house, but it stops there. Nice try, though, Feeble. Sad, but a valiant attempt.

Pywacket 4 years, 3 months ago

acg~ applause! You said it all...

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

I tried to last time, but they said I wasn't worth the effort. I can't remember anything anyway.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"“Present” is all they need to know."

/spits

prospector 4 years, 3 months ago

"Present" is all they need to know.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 3 months ago

Nope, I won't be participating this year. The mail never gets to me here, anyway.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Since the Feds told me I couldn't claim the lemurs as dependents, to heck with the government.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"Multidisciplinary (Anonymous) says…

I wish this new computer would let me open a pdf, but it won't. "

Download adobe. Your new computer may not have come with it.

feeble 4 years, 3 months ago

Article 1, Section 2, clause 3 gentlemen.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

I wish this new computer would let me open a pdf, but it won't.

yoornotmee 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm excited. I love filling out forms. I hope I'm one of the 1 in 6 who gets the long form! I'll be disappointed if I don't.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

lol

No kidding. I've got no tv people, not for over a year. I know 'what' a census used to be, I've actually read many, they're fascinating.

They're going to do another one?..and they're going to fine people? hahahaha. Door to door? Well, that's just great because I have no door bell and I almost never can hear if anyone knocks. My friends either have a key or call so I know they are coming to unlock the door!

What happens if you give them a false name?Are they going to ask for your soc and id? How would they know? Are they going to cross reference all the data?

Blessed4x 4 years, 3 months ago

I have no problems with the census questions. I do, however, have a problem with many of the questions asked on the American Community Survey (the long form) that is mailed out to hundreds of thousands of people each month and is just as madatory as the short form. I have no idea why the government needs to know what time I leave for work in the morning among other very personal bits of info. This form is quite worrisome and I do not typically count myself as a tin foil hat kinda guy.

Look for yourself here:

1029 4 years, 3 months ago

Of course. I'd be scared not to.

When I was about 8 years old, I watched two census workers rough up my neighbor because he had apparently lied on the census, or he didn't fill it out properly, or something. After they were done beating him, one of them proceeded to set his house on fire and the other one sees me standing there and looks me straight in the eye and says, "Let this be a lesson to you, kid. Always participate in the census." Then he turned away and gave the guy one last kick in the head. Then they both got on their horses and rode away while this poor guy lay there on his walkway barely able to move while his house burned down. That sure was a weird moment that I'll never forget.

acg 4 years, 3 months ago

Are there people out there that don't take part in the census? Paranoid much? I have this mental pic of some idiot with a mullet and shotgun chasing those "revenuers off our land".

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

"The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage." – Thucydides

My god, they used census data to intern the Japanese-Americans back in '41. The FEMA internment camps are not a joking matter. !!!

At least you sheeple should check the "Some other race" box on question 9 and fill in H-U-M-A-N as the answer.

I will take my chances with the $100 fine.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"Has anyone ever actually been contacted by the Census? I mean how does one avoid it if they wanted too?"

They'll hunt your ass down.

"Hey T_O_B, how is that swine flu epidemic?"

Much better since they shut down the trade routes.

CWGOKU 4 years, 3 months ago

Hey T_O_B, how is that swine flu epidemic?

BABBOY 4 years, 3 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

Joseph and Mary participated in the census, and look what happened to their kid. It's none of the governments damn business if I have indoor plumbing or not.

labmonkey 4 years, 3 months ago

It's kind of the law to participate.

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

Ah, come on multi census is when we gots cuzins over an everyone agrees on whats fer supper an what kindy beer they gettin at the store as we was all in census bout what we was drinnkin.

consumer1 4 years, 3 months ago

Do I get to list myself as a special population, Irish American?

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

The southern perimeter bunker has no listed address.

BigPrune 4 years, 3 months ago

Obama will throw you in jail if you do not participate in the census. It's required to participate.

Mary Darst 4 years, 3 months ago

Yes, it will be very interesting to see how all the demographics change.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

Snap - I take it you got the swine flu vaccination.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 3 months ago

Until I covered the tracking chip in the back of my neck with tin foil (shiny side out) it was telling me to participate in the census.