Previous   Next

Do you plan to take part in the 2010 Census?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Massachusetts St. on January 5, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes I do. I remember taking part in the last one. I sent it in late.”

“Yes I do. I think it’s important that everybody gets counted.”

“Yes I do, but I live at an odd rural address and I’d be surprised if anybody made it out there.”

“Yes I do. It’s my first one.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Until I covered the tracking chip in the back of my neck with tin foil (shiny side out) it was telling me to participate in the census.

Mary Darst 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes, it will be very interesting to see how all the demographics change.

BigPrune 5 years, 2 months ago

Obama will throw you in jail if you do not participate in the census. It's required to participate.

acg 5 years, 2 months ago

Are there people out there that don't take part in the census? Paranoid much? I have this mental pic of some idiot with a mullet and shotgun chasing those "revenuers off our land".

1029 5 years, 2 months ago

Of course. I'd be scared not to.

When I was about 8 years old, I watched two census workers rough up my neighbor because he had apparently lied on the census, or he didn't fill it out properly, or something. After they were done beating him, one of them proceeded to set his house on fire and the other one sees me standing there and looks me straight in the eye and says, "Let this be a lesson to you, kid. Always participate in the census." Then he turned away and gave the guy one last kick in the head. Then they both got on their horses and rode away while this poor guy lay there on his walkway barely able to move while his house burned down. That sure was a weird moment that I'll never forget.

Blessed4x 5 years, 2 months ago

I have no problems with the census questions. I do, however, have a problem with many of the questions asked on the American Community Survey (the long form) that is mailed out to hundreds of thousands of people each month and is just as madatory as the short form. I have no idea why the government needs to know what time I leave for work in the morning among other very personal bits of info. This form is quite worrisome and I do not typically count myself as a tin foil hat kinda guy.

Look for yourself here:

yoornotmee 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm excited. I love filling out forms. I hope I'm one of the 1 in 6 who gets the long form! I'll be disappointed if I don't.

feeble 5 years, 2 months ago

I love it when conservatives demand a strict, literal interpretation of the US Constitution and then rail against the census as unconstitutional.

Article 1, Section 2, clause 3 gentlemen.

Of course, the 14th Amendment, section 2 is also important. Perhaps citizens who disagree with the counting of non-citizens could seek to get this Amendment overturned?

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Since the Feds told me I couldn't claim the lemurs as dependents, to heck with the government.

Blessed4x 5 years, 2 months ago

"feeble (Anonymous) says…

Article 1, Section 2, clause 3 gentlemen.

To answer the original question, I've completed the ACS every year I've received one and will continue to do so. Same with the Decennial Census."

Funny...I read the whole thing and no where in there did it say anything about wanting to know what my mortgage payment was, when I left for work in the morning or how many miles I drove to work. All it referred to was a count of the citizens to apportion representatives. Curious. Maybe you're the one that needs to go back and read it, Feeble.

I have no problem telling them how many people are living in my house, but it stops there. Nice try, though, Feeble. Sad, but a valiant attempt.

feeble 5 years, 2 months ago

Blessed, you have confused the ACS with the Decennial Census, which is easy to do, as the ACS was part of the Census until recently. Now it is given every year.

"The" Census only has ten questions, none of which pertain to the details of your mortgage or your commute:

Your are correct in that the ACS does request information on personal finance topics, such as your mortgage.

Refuse to provide data to the US wastes all of our tax dollars, as these surveys are used to generate metrics used by Congress to determine spending. Further, it's not like you aren't reporting most of the personal finance information to the fed anyways, or do you skip out on paying taxes completely?

fastwalker 5 years, 2 months ago

US government thinks it owns me? I'll be traveling to the other side of the mountains to lose the stink of your bureaucratic hides.