Previous   Next

What’s the first thing a dietitian would suggest you toss from the refrigerator?

Asked at Wayne & Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 S. Iowa on January 4, 2010

Browse the archives

“Easy Mac and Cheese”

“Probably my high-fat Italian salami. ”

“White cake with strawberry and lime-flavored jello inside.”

“Chocolate chip cookies.”

Comments

trinity 4 years, 11 months ago

lol-prospector, i was introduced to a growler of yummy stuff over christmas, thanks to my lovely daughter&her man. coolness in a beautiful brown jug! :)

trinity 4 years, 11 months ago

oops, to answer the ots; probably the nearly-empty box of double decker fudge left over from the holidays. i almost have it whipped!

feetup 4 years, 11 months ago

multi- thats funny, i dont care who u are..

number3of5 4 years, 11 months ago

The three worst things in my fridge are homemade peach syrup, homemade apple syrup, and cream cheese. The rest of the items is fine for a healthy diet, as long as moderation is kept in mind. This is true of most every item one can purchase and eat. Eat only a portion sized serving, not two or three servings in one. If I tell my husband he can have a slice of pie, he will eat three slices. If I tell him he can have two cookies, he will eat five or six. So moderation and serving size is the most important things as well as a balanced diet of starches, fruits and vegetables, fats and sweets, proteins. Starving yourself of one sets you up for failure in any diet.

feetup 4 years, 11 months ago

probably that bottle of crown i keep behind the whole milk, half and half, and diet coke. i only have it for medicinal purposes. or maybe all that red meat i just bought on sale. im trying to put weight on

KansasPerson 4 years, 11 months ago

number3of5: "If I tell my husband he can have a slice of pie, he will eat three slices. If I tell him he can have two cookies, he will eat five or six."

Was this a typo.... "husband" instead of "toddler"..... ?

Because........ wow!

Bassetlover 4 years, 11 months ago

Butter, cream cheese, sour cream, cheese, pudding cups. Love me some dairy but it is so, soooooooo bad for me!

coolmarv 4 years, 11 months ago

da beer

Hey, is this dietitian my wife by chance because she says the same thing?

dajudge 4 years, 11 months ago

Probably the lettuce and vegetables. They've been in there quite awhile and are mostly shriveled and/or slimy because I DON'T EAT THEM and they go bad along with the milk that is spoiled. Oh, I have good intentions of eating and drinking them, but, I don't.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

Michael Jackson, Multi, is that who you mean?

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 11 months ago

The frozen processed crap my dearest hubby can't get out of the habit of purchasing. I toss it out when he's not looking, and make it fresh. And the dietician may scoff at my real butter and half & half, but I'll take it over crappy margarine and soy milk any day, if it isn't Real Food, it isn't Right.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

I looked up a list of famous people whose birthday is today and MJ's name stood out.

KansasPerson 4 years, 11 months ago

multi, I think you might have misunderstood the reason for my incredulous response..... I am not that surprised that a very hungry person could eat a whole pie.... but I am continually amazed at the variety of marital dynamics in the world.

RonBurgandy 4 years, 11 months ago

A little while ago it would have been the many tupperware filled with leftovers that morphed into God knows what. But I braved it and fought hard to get those emptied out and clean.

Now I'd just say it would probably be just beer.

denak 4 years, 11 months ago

Any type of soda....its nothing more than liquid candy.

Dena:(

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 11 months ago

My pint of Founders' Favorite from Cold Stone Creamery.

eotw33 4 years, 11 months ago

According to the nutrition facts, the worst thing in my fridge is milk... what say you to that dietitians?

ldvander 4 years, 11 months ago

Ha, nothing there! Foiled again, dietitianses

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

Did_I_say_that Thanks for correcting me. Am I embarrassed! I thought sure I read that on a list, but now I can't find it. Right now I only have (relatively) healthy things in the fridge and shelves. I have nothing but fruit to snack on. I can have a peanut butter and jam sandwich with a mug of warm soy milk. I eat a lot of peanut butter as it is the easiest way to make a vegan sandwich.

acg 4 years, 11 months ago

Prob the coke. My husband is a chef's apprentice now (went back to school in 09) and our fridge is full of veggies, fruit, herbs and stuff, but also stuff like real butter, heavy cream, buttermilk, sour cream, ricotta, etc. But we use all of that in moderation and he makes healthy meals every night. I'm a coke-head though. I can't get away from it. Three a day, sometimes!!. I wish I could give up coke and smokes and I would be much better off.