Previous   Next

What’s the first thing a dietitian would suggest you toss from the refrigerator?

Asked at Wayne & Larry’s Sports Bar, 933 S. Iowa on January 4, 2010

Browse the archives

“Easy Mac and Cheese”

“Probably my high-fat Italian salami. ”

“White cake with strawberry and lime-flavored jello inside.”

“Chocolate chip cookies.”

Comments

acg 4 years, 3 months ago

Prob the coke. My husband is a chef's apprentice now (went back to school in 09) and our fridge is full of veggies, fruit, herbs and stuff, but also stuff like real butter, heavy cream, buttermilk, sour cream, ricotta, etc. But we use all of that in moderation and he makes healthy meals every night. I'm a coke-head though. I can't get away from it. Three a day, sometimes!!. I wish I could give up coke and smokes and I would be much better off.

consumer1 4 years, 3 months ago

You know, this is a good article, when i get home tonight, I am going to clean out my fridge. By eating everything that is bad. Then I will do it again next week after going to the store and reloading it with bad stuff. sounds like a good idea.

consumer1 4 years, 3 months ago

What is a dietician doing looking in my fridge?? Is there a new law about what we can have in our fridge? What is next. someone looking in my garage for fireworks????

thebcman 4 years, 3 months ago

It's the birthday of Sir Isaac Newton, and Google has a cute little apple dropping thang going on.

The dietitian can stay the hell away from my fridge, if you please.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 3 months ago

@ Irish - You are most welcome. Now, about that peanut butter - Do you have any idea how many peanuts must give up their lives (lived in a shell) in order to make a jar of peanut butter? 850 for an 18 ounce jar! I don't know, but it seems more humane for me to just eat my tenth of a cow and third of pig each year.

Now, here is how you take that PB sandwich, make it taste good and be bad for you - Grill it. Peanut butter and jelly in between two slices of bread. Butter the outsides and grill on each side until light brown. Must be eaten with a fork since it is so messy. But well worth the effort!

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 3 months ago

Did_I_say_that Thanks for correcting me. Am I embarrassed! I thought sure I read that on a list, but now I can't find it. Right now I only have (relatively) healthy things in the fridge and shelves. I have nothing but fruit to snack on. I can have a peanut butter and jam sandwich with a mug of warm soy milk. I eat a lot of peanut butter as it is the easiest way to make a vegan sandwich.

Benjamin Roberts 4 years, 3 months ago

@number3of5 - Your husband needs to retrain you on how to cut pie; obviously your pie slices are way too small.

@Irish - MJ's birthday was August 29th, 1958

@on the street question: Spit out anything that tastes good; it must be bad for you.

ldvander 4 years, 3 months ago

Ha, nothing there! Foiled again, dietitianses

eotw33 4 years, 3 months ago

According to the nutrition facts, the worst thing in my fridge is milk... what say you to that dietitians?

Thinking_Out_Loud 4 years, 3 months ago

My pint of Founders' Favorite from Cold Stone Creamery.

denak 4 years, 3 months ago

Any type of soda....its nothing more than liquid candy.

Dena:(

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

Giving the govt billions to create jobs is like giving a wino good scotch in hopes he'll void Coors Light.

RonBurgandy 4 years, 3 months ago

A little while ago it would have been the many tupperware filled with leftovers that morphed into God knows what. But I braved it and fought hard to get those emptied out and clean.

Now I'd just say it would probably be just beer.

porch_person 4 years, 3 months ago

"Body parts"

Seriously, I love prospector's comment. Too true. The Smoky Hill Porter is kicking at the moment.

KansasPerson 4 years, 3 months ago

multi, I think you might have misunderstood the reason for my incredulous response..... I am not that surprised that a very hungry person could eat a whole pie.... but I am continually amazed at the variety of marital dynamics in the world.

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

If we're talking about a diet here, try the Marlon Brando approach. He would put a padlock on his fridge before he went to bed at night, then in the middle of the night he would break the padlock off and pig out. He also hired a body guard to keep him out of the fridge, but one night he climbed out a window, jumped the fence and headed to the nearest McDonald's. True stories. He also liked to leave his dirty underwear at his neighbor Jack Nicholson's house. I have no idea why. Anyone that saw him on Larry King knows I'm not making this up.

spacehog 4 years, 3 months ago

All the 40's of Schlitz Malt Liquor and liquid Demerol in my fridge. But then it would be empty. Plus I have 10 lbs. of krunk-ass weed in my freezer. If you think I'm getting rid if that, you must be high.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 3 months ago

I looked up a list of famous people whose birthday is today and MJ's name stood out.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"Micheal Jackson died, he's not having anymore birthdays." RI

Sucker.

Rae Hudspeth 4 years, 3 months ago

The frozen processed crap my dearest hubby can't get out of the habit of purchasing. I toss it out when he's not looking, and make it fresh. And the dietician may scoff at my real butter and half & half, but I'll take it over crappy margarine and soy milk any day, if it isn't Real Food, it isn't Right.

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

Of course, Charles M. Roser. A man of French decent. See, there is more to this thing than those little thin pancakes.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

No Irish, It's the birthday of the guy who invented Fig Newtons.

Micheal Jackson died, he's not having anymore birthdays.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 3 months ago

Michael Jackson, Multi, is that who you mean?

dajudge 4 years, 3 months ago

Probably the lettuce and vegetables. They've been in there quite awhile and are mostly shriveled and/or slimy because I DON'T EAT THEM and they go bad along with the milk that is spoiled. Oh, I have good intentions of eating and drinking them, but, I don't.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

Have you been to google today? It's somebody's birthday.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

Hadn't thought about this, maybe this is why you need to check the frig. Can you see your manhood? (Do you know it's still there?)

"38% of Aussie men can't see their manhood" http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/GE0912/S00078.htm

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

Was this a typo…. “husband” instead of “toddler”….. ?

Because…….. wow!

Not every guy gains weight doing this, and some seem to suffer from leftover bachelor days syndrome. No one to cook for them, or it's been a long time since we've had homemade things to eat. I can't tell you how many times I've taken a whole pie or dessert to a man's home, only to learn the next day when they called to say how wonderful it was...after some beating around the bush, they'll admit they sat down and ate the entire thing that night. Either during the evening or at one sitting. And none of these were overweight men either. They just didn't have really good cooking available regularly and relished it. That also solves the problem of finding room to put it in the refrigerator I'm told. ;)

coolmarv 4 years, 3 months ago

da beer

Hey, is this dietitian my wife by chance because she says the same thing?

Bassetlover 4 years, 3 months ago

Butter, cream cheese, sour cream, cheese, pudding cups. Love me some dairy but it is so, soooooooo bad for me!

CWGOKU 4 years, 3 months ago

The body of the pizza delivery guy in my freezer

KansasPerson 4 years, 3 months ago

number3of5: "If I tell my husband he can have a slice of pie, he will eat three slices. If I tell him he can have two cookies, he will eat five or six."

Was this a typo.... "husband" instead of "toddler"..... ?

Because........ wow!

feetup 4 years, 3 months ago

probably that bottle of crown i keep behind the whole milk, half and half, and diet coke. i only have it for medicinal purposes. or maybe all that red meat i just bought on sale. im trying to put weight on

number3of5 4 years, 3 months ago

The three worst things in my fridge are homemade peach syrup, homemade apple syrup, and cream cheese. The rest of the items is fine for a healthy diet, as long as moderation is kept in mind. This is true of most every item one can purchase and eat. Eat only a portion sized serving, not two or three servings in one. If I tell my husband he can have a slice of pie, he will eat three slices. If I tell him he can have two cookies, he will eat five or six. So moderation and serving size is the most important things as well as a balanced diet of starches, fruits and vegetables, fats and sweets, proteins. Starving yourself of one sets you up for failure in any diet.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

"beer and dairy." ictch1

Any dietician that says beer is bad needs to have their certificiation revoked. Unless the beer is Bud Light.

feetup 4 years, 3 months ago

multi- thats funny, i dont care who u are..

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

You've got that RI, what's in my pantry, is a cat that's been sitting on the tall metal storage shelves, breaking the blinds to see out. He's a devil alright.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the margarine or the soy sauce, Worchestershire, Sriracha. Other than that, mine gets A's.

Oh wait, does the "Handy Dandy Flaming Thread Reserve Blend Microwave Popcorn" on top count? "Extra butter, slides down quickly keeping you in the game! Larger kernels for the digitally challenged, reduces inter-crevice equipment damage."

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

How ironic to ask such a question when it is about a hundred and dickity doo degrees below zero outside. I just finished clearing and salting the walk and steps at work and it sends my caloric desire systems into overdrive.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 3 months ago

Cheese. I eat entirely too much cheese. Other than that, I agree with RI.

trinity 4 years, 3 months ago

oops, to answer the ots; probably the nearly-empty box of double decker fudge left over from the holidays. i almost have it whipped!

trinity 4 years, 3 months ago

lol-prospector, i was introduced to a growler of yummy stuff over christmas, thanks to my lovely daughter&her man. coolness in a beautiful brown jug! :)

prospector 4 years, 3 months ago

Touch that Free State jug, lose a hand.

autie 4 years, 3 months ago

My bleu cheese dressing. And that cheesecake.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 3 months ago

It's truly weird that the French language has 17 different words for “surrender.” Damn thin little pancake eating surrender monkeys.

What is in the Norge is fine, the pantry is the devil's playground.