Previous   Next

What steps do you take to protect yourself from identity theft?

Asked at Lawrence Post Office, 645 Vt. on February 26, 2010

Browse the archives

“I take all bills, paper, mail and important documents that I don’t need and shred them at least once a week.”

“I have lots and lots of firewalls in my computer … and I bring in my mail promptly.”

“I shred my bills and put my trash out late.”

“I check my online banking system really often.”

Comments

spiff 5 years, 5 months ago

I have a low income and never have anything worth stealing.

RoeDapple 5 years, 5 months ago

“I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.”—Tom Cruise,. Top Gun.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 5 months ago

If someone wants it they can have it. I don't use it much.

looza 5 years, 5 months ago

my twin has my identity and I have his.........hee hee!

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

I never buy spiced ham over the interwebs. I don't do business with anyone calling himself uptownbulker.

Stuart Evans 5 years, 5 months ago

i feel sorry for the bastard that tries to use my credit. maybe it would be an improvement..

feetup 5 years, 5 months ago

they can have my identity. I want a new one anyway.

flux 5 years, 5 months ago

Looking a little shady Mr Hernandez

notajayhawk 5 years, 5 months ago

I keep my credit rating in negative numbers, and always have a few outstanding warrants. That should call attention pretty quick to anyone that tries to pass themselves off as me.

smiles 5 years, 5 months ago

Mr Hernandez aka the artist formerly know as Prince...

nineteen84 5 years, 5 months ago

edjayhawk - what's in YOUR wallet? God bless America (except Missouri)

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 5 months ago

I tell everyone I am an architect from Emporia.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 5 months ago

I pick up my empty brass before leaving the scene.

remember_username 5 years, 5 months ago

I change my identity regularly so thieves are more likely to steal an obsolete one. It's easier now that my children are older and used to the frequent changes, but the dog still gets a little disturbed.

lmn 5 years, 5 months ago

Boston_Corbett (anonymous) says...

I tell everyone I am an architect from Emporia.

Priceless.

K_Verses_The_World 5 years, 5 months ago

The only decent thing I did when I worked as a postal clerk Was to haul your picture down off the wall near the cage where I used to work. Was I a fool or not to try to protect your identity? You looked a little burned out, my friend, I thought it might be up to me.

Bob Dylan - Up To Me

Skeggs 5 years, 5 months ago

Spacehog,

Happy Birthday! Hey and thanks for the trip down memory lane the other day. I think I spent the most time as a kid at the skating ring on 23rd but I really like John's Novelty for the cinnamon toothpicks and that used record store between Mass and Vermont downtown. How about cruising the square or doing donuts in the Centennial School parking lot?

Donny

BruceWayne 5 years, 5 months ago

just a few simple rules 1) multiple accounts on LJW 2) NEVER and I MEAN never let LJW OTS take my picture. Even with a fake occupation. 3) keep house in me mum's name.

Skeggs 5 years, 5 months ago

Yes Spacehog and remember the Christmas eve-eve 1981 when you told your mom you were spending the night at my house and visa versa for me. We tried to sleep in that Cutlass with no heater and just a bottle of something. We woke up shivering and drove to a Quickshop on 6th and played video games at 3:30 am and then ended up smoking cigars in Burger King at 6am. Good times!

lindseydoyle 5 years, 5 months ago

Space Hog. Happy birthday? It's Johnny Winter's birthday too. Best guitarist ever.

Skeggs 5 years, 5 months ago

No autie,

I cannot compare to Spacehog's creativity and wit...he is my best friend though.

And I am just a part time OTS poster.

Devon Kissinger 5 years, 5 months ago

You want it, you can have it, I'm tired of this one anyway.

riverdrifter 5 years, 5 months ago

"T_O_B, Re: Your weather station. Does your anemometer data log?"

R_I, I don't know about TOB's but my weather station does and and 17 other parameters as well. Get one!

Happy birfday, Hog!

bliddel 5 years, 5 months ago

I can see from the responses here why identity theft is still America's fastest growing crime, even after about ten years. Nobody here takes this issue seriously. You will, when it is YOUR identity that has been stolen. Once that happens, it is suddenly no longer a laughing matter.

Truth is, governments themselves are at the very core of the problem, by pushing their national ID number (the Social security Number - that was never supposed to be used for identification purposes). Knowing everyone's SSN may make it very easy to track and control the population which our government is supposed to serve and protect, but it also makes government a very attractive target of hackers. Hackers regularly win.

One major step I have taken to protect MY identity is to NOT VOLUNTEER for any Federal, state, county, or disaster agency or other volunteer agency that thinks it is entitled to knowing my Social Security Number. Right now, Douglas County is having trouble getting enough trained active volunteers. While this is deplorable, their own paranoia is at the heart of the problem, and only change will bring a solution.

Likewise, I prepare my own tax forms. I will not do business with anyone who asks for my SSN, and that includes doctors and hospitals. I will not borrow money, even when that means I will not spend money to take advantage of cheap or free credit. I will not apply for a job with any prospective employer that asks for my SSN prior to offering me a job. This includes the state of Kansas and the Federal government. No wonder the quality of government employees has dropped precipitously in the last decade.

riverdrifter 5 years, 5 months ago

Logs every 30 minutes but could move it up to 15 min data, but I don't think that's necessary for amateur observers -creates big files. It samples like, every 2 seconds & then averages the data. Wireless & ports directly in the pc -forget the console models. You can upload your data to various weather observatories if desired. My station has been going for 11 months and has performed flawlessly. PM me if you want & I'll give you the link & info.

independant1 5 years, 4 months ago

I take steps to protect all my identities. lost one once. signed, In crises