Previous   Next

Should the wild turkey near Burroughs Creek be captured or left alone?

Asked at Speedway Shell, 1733 Massachusetts St. on February 25, 2010

Browse the archives

“It should left alone as long as it is not doing any harm to anyone else.”

“I believe for the bird’s safety, it should probably be removed and taken to a better location.”

“I’d leave it alone. The wildlife is within range of the Wetlands, and he is there for a reason.”

“Left alone. It’s a free bird.”

Comments

RoeDapple 7 years, 1 month ago

Well he was banned from the campus... Man's gotta live somewhere... But didn't they used to call him White Owl?

BruceWayne 7 years, 1 month ago

ground wild turkey makes the most wonderful swedish meatballs!

BruceWayne 7 years, 1 month ago

tonight on Family Guy...Peter Griffin battles the giant turkey.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 1 month ago

Last week in a meeting a woman who lives nearby the turkey stated she liked the turkey.

"Wild Turkeys live in open woodlands and forests with lots of clearings and meadows. They travel during the day looking for food.

Wild Turkeys travel in small flocks. For most of the year, they are single-sex flocks. Females are with females, males with males. Young turkeys follow their mothers.

Wild Turkeys have good eyesight and hearing, and they are very fast runners.

Wild Turkeys were here long before Europeans colonized America. They also should not be confused with their cousins, domestic turkeys (the ones you eat for Thanksgiving).

Wild Turkeys are thinner than domestic turkeys, and their tails are tipped with brown, not white.

Male Wild Turkeys grow to about four feet long. including the tail. Females grow to about three feet.

Males and females can be told apart by the breast feathers. Males' breast feathers have black tips, females are brown."

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

How's about a link to the source of your copy/pasted material, bub? Was it http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/wild_turkey.htm ?

BruceWayne 7 years, 1 month ago

"within range of the wetlands" the 21st street wetlands?

gr 7 years, 1 month ago

I saw some squirrels running along the street. Should they be captured or left alone?

Maybe we should shoot the turkeys and squirrels (and not to forget any salamanders!) before something bad happens to them.

classclown 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm surprised that apparently no one besides Multi noticed it. Especially Snap. I figured he would have jumped all over it.

Amy Heeter 7 years, 1 month ago

svenway_park 7 years, 1 month ago

svenway_park 7 years, 1 month ago

Clearly, it was a Raven that moved from that wildlife preserve behind LHS.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 1 month ago

"Wild Turkeys eat a great variety of foods, including: insects, spiders, snails, slugs, salamanders, small lizards, small frogs, millipedes, grasshoppers, very small snakes, worms, grasses, vines, flowers, acorns, buds, seeds, fruits, clovers, dogwood, blueberries, cherries, hickory nuts, beechnuts, and other vegetation."

I say bring them on considering they are self sustaining which is more than can said for new residential.

Boston_Corbett 7 years, 1 month ago

jonas_opines 7 years, 1 month ago

I would think Burroughs would have approved of having some Wild Turkey in easy reach.

svenway_park 7 years, 1 month ago

Maybe paulette2 could drive the Volvo, BC. She has some Cool ideas.

jehovah_bob 7 years, 1 month ago

Is anyone really surprised to find Wild Turkey in Burrough's Creek?

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

autie "Hosers and prairie squid live unprecedented. Dewars bless you all."

Okay, this almost killed me. LOL. I think they should leave the turkey alone. What is wrong with people? There is some serious stuff going on, like bad stuff, and the idiots in charge are probably having meetings about this turkey. I think something in my head is going to rupture.

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

autie "Hosers and prairie squid live unprecedented. Dewars bless you all."

Boston_Corbett 7 years, 1 month ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (anonymous) says...Does Astroturf attract turkeys?

Possibly. I know of a sighting close to the 'turf. And it was one ugly old bird.

Boston_Corbett 7 years, 1 month ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (anonymous) says...Does Astroturf attract turkeys?

Blessed4x 7 years, 1 month ago

Why was eaten not an option? With a little cranberry sauce, the whole situation could be remedied.

Chris Golledge 7 years, 1 month ago

What the heck? It's just another critter. What's next, having meetings about rounding up the rabbits and squirrels?

Chris Golledge 7 years, 1 month ago

I clicked over to the BBC news site and got a chuckle...

"Turkey seeks to calm 'plot' fears"

Shane Garrett 7 years, 1 month ago

Turkey tetrazzini recipe, a turkey casserole with egg noodles, mushrooms, peask, Parmesan and Swiss cheeses, cream, bread crumbs and wild turkey.

Boston_Corbett 7 years, 1 month ago

LogicMan 7 years, 1 month ago

It's native -- leave it alone.

Now, if you want to remove the non-native, invasive and destructive specie ... wait for it ... get rid of the hairless walking apes.

LogicMan 7 years, 1 month ago

"The_Original_Bob (anonymous) says... ""wait for it ... get rid of the hairless walking apes."" You first."

Maybe you haven't seen my photo? Not my species.

moralebooster 7 years, 1 month ago

Capture & relocate?....Hope they get that on video.

Boosh 7 years, 1 month ago

I thought snap said ocra not orca...

riverdrifter 7 years, 1 month ago

Actually, Burroughs' poison of choice was (and I hate to say it) vodka, either in for the form of a martini or with Pepsi, I think. Capture it? I guess you could set a cannon-net deal up but turkeys are like greased lightning. If she survives in suburbia until spring, this gal will hear the predawn gobbles from along the Wakarusa, miles from her roost and back to the turkey woods she'll go.

Boosh 7 years, 1 month ago

Geez I need me eyes checked today.

I thaought LogicMan said "It's naive -- leave it alone."

gatekeeper 7 years, 1 month ago

artichokeheart (anonymous) says... Somebody should get video of animal control trying to catch it.. Let it be and call him Roadrunner, beep beep //////

I got to witness something much better than that last week. In Shawnee, someone's pet pot bellied pig got loose. They had a bunch of Shawnee cops trying to chase down the little pig. Lots of big piggies chasing the little piggy. I wanted so badly to shoot video of it, but when I pulled out my phone I had a big piggy wave me along to leave the area.

jehovah_bob 7 years, 1 month ago

I thought I was the only one who remembered "Kansas". It was a big deal when they were shooting, the county fair scene was shot in my hometown.

brujablanco 7 years, 1 month ago

Actually, Burroughs' poison of choice was ......

Heroin

svenway_park 7 years, 1 month ago

It looks like the Queen of Aspen himself has checked into the room.

Drainage, anyone?

Got a degree yet, bubba?

BruceWayne 7 years, 1 month ago

Aspen? I've always wanted to go to California.

BorderRuffian 7 years, 1 month ago

Really now! I saw an earlier post that posited that the turkey got banned from the KU campus. My question is, "why him, and not the rest of the turkeys?"

The real answer is, leave the old bird alone and go out, get a bottle of Wild Turkey, and drink it down until you forget about the real one. Problem solved.

BigPrune 7 years, 1 month ago

I remember that movie Kansas being filmed here. I was at the Jazzhaus and saw Matt Dillon grab assing Andrew McCarthy. I thought they were gay. Matt was seen going into every seedy bar in town, according to a retired cop friend of mine.

triplegoddess13 7 years, 1 month ago

I say relocated it somewhere nice and warm with a little moisture. After a few hours give it some sweet potato friends and invite company over.