Previous   Next

Do you foresee a time when your parents might come live with your family?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on February 22, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, in 20 years they can live in my basement and turn it into an apartment.”

“Sure, if they were old and needed assistance, we would have them in our home.”

“No, I don’t. My parents live far away from me, and I have other siblings that would probably take them in first.”

“Yes, it almost happened in the last year, but it was more convenient for her to live with my sister … near the grandkids.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

Seeing as how both my parents are deceased, that is highly unlikely.

feetup 4 years, 10 months ago

It worked great for me when my mother was younger. she took care of the home and the boys while i worked. tough duty to come home and smell pork chops on the stove, believe me! It was a wonderful life!! She went to all their games with me, watched sports with us etc, But, as time went on and she became ill, i had to move her to assisted living as she could no longer take care of herself and was pretty much homebound. I took care of her as she took care of me. but there comes a time when a caregiver simply isn't enought for proper home care. broke my heart to do it, but she is happier now,and healthier finally, now that she is feeling independent again.

trinity 4 years, 10 months ago

lol snap beat me to it. as a parent of grown children-i can't ever foresee me going to live with any of 'em! i love 'em all to pieces-but to live under the same roof again? no thanks! :)

West_Sider 4 years, 10 months ago

A key holder is the acting member of the management team when the store manager and assistant manager are not in the store. A key holder is trained on all operational functions that the store manager and assistant manager are trained on, including opening and closing the store, administering returns and store credit, setting sales goals, and dividing tasks amongst sales associates. A key holder is expected to be the link between the management team and the sales associates, helping management to accomplish important tasks such as regular store cleanings, merchandising, and motivating employees on the sales floor to help exceed goals. An ideal key holder is hardworking, a quick thinker, and friendly with excellent customer service skills. Previous retail experience is necessary for this position.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

people like that diane person suck. they expect for their siblings to do all of the work while they use the excuse "i live too far away".

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

LOL, i know, right? i was thinking "key holder"? that's an occupation? wth? assistant manager doesn't sound real glamorous though...

i hope i either die while i am still able to do for myself. i really don't want to depend on my kids for anything like wiping my ass, feeding me or any of the stuff i used to do for them when they were infants.

you know, this is kind of a crappy "on the street" question for a monday. its a bit depressing.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

@ west sider.... lemme guess.... key holder?.....

grammaddy 4 years, 10 months ago

I'm with you RI, they're here with me.

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 10 months ago

It's KEYMASTER. And the Oread Hotel ought to be watching out for him. Big time..

amesn 4 years, 10 months ago

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

LOL i don't know what's making me chuckle about babboy's line "I have sued a bunch of nursing homes and do no want her in one of those places." a bunch?? damn! LOL

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 10 months ago

CWG, "I'd probably end up looking for Spacehogs address and hanging out over there."... hey, i'll meet you there after i make a stop at the liquor store! ;)

paisley 4 years, 10 months ago

My folks are gone but the in laws are still here and too close anyway. What comes to my mind is "no thanks". Kids would be a different matter entirely.

gatekeeper 4 years, 10 months ago

amesn (anonymous) says... @BABBOY You sound like a nightmare for any skilled nursing facility...were you one of those lovely family members who came in with a list of ridiculous demands daily resulting in the staff walking on egg shells everytime you stepped in the door? I have worked at many fine facilities, lets just say the ones that are simple not fancy and have non-private pay residents I have found to be the best ironically! Lawrence has one facility that presents like 'five star living' on the outside, but the care is truly lacking! I feel while children can take on the responsibility there comes a point when professionally trained staff are needed to provide the proper physical therapy etc. ////

There are good reasons to sue many nursing homes. My grandmother was in one in a neighboring county and I would NEVER put my parents in a home because of what I saw (and smelled) in that home. And it's considered to be a good nursing home. Nurses stole from my grandmother and in general never seemed very concerned about any of the residents. So sad to see the desperation in some people's eyes. They were there mentally, but physically didn't have the strength to take care of themselves.

I will never put my parents in a home. I'd work 3 jobs if I had to in order to afford in home nurses to assist me. I don't have kids, but if I hit a point where I can no longer care for myself and would need to go to a nursing home, I'll take myself out and save myself the years of misery and suffering. We need to allow older people to decide when their end of life is, just like we decide for our pets.

denak 4 years, 10 months ago

Lord I hope not! When I moved back from California, 16 years ago, I moved into my parents' basement for a few months to get back on my feet. My son had just turned 2. It was a huge mistake.

As much as I love my mom, she just tried to "help" just a little too much. My word of advice to anyone who has young children, if you let your mom move in, sit down with her and make sure she understands how you parent and that even though you appreciate her help from time to time, you do not need or want, her constantly hovering over you telling you how to raise your child.

Dena:)

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 10 months ago

Doesn't anyone remember that the keymaster died in the third Matrix movie? Those were so good! Does anyone know what the keymaster was the symbol for? I didn't quite get why the Architect needed him. The freeway chase was way beyond awesome. My parents do live with me. Despite everyone getting techy on the subject I decided to go with the ouija board and the seance. In spirit everyone lives with everyone forever. Don't even bother telling me what the archbishop thinks about using a ouija board. As an American I will decide what kind of Catholic I am going to be. I am watching the ski jumping. Now, that looks like something that would be fun. Those guys are really tennsy tinsy aren't they? I love the extreme snowboarding, when they go way up and twist and turn and get extreme air.

George_Braziller 4 years, 10 months ago

My mom would NEVER move in with me and I would never move in with her. Not that it would be a bad thing, but we have our different lives and we both respect that.

Live a couple of blocks from each other would be great. Live in the same house ---- we'd drive each other crazy within two months. We're too much alike.