Previous   Next

Would you be willing to pay for a private curbside recycling service?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on February 19, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, I would, because I have a hard time taking stuff to the recycling center … I wouldn’t want to pay an exorbitant amount.”

“Yes, it would be much less trouble than loading the stuff in and out and I’m assuming that it might provide containers … and accept a wide variety of items.”

“Yes, I would. I think it’s a great thing for the environment, as long as it’s made easy for people, and I think it’s well worth it for the community.”

“Absolutely, it would help out with the environment, and it would make it real easy.”

Comments

ivalueamerica 4 years, 1 month ago

My comment was exactly as stated, I do not pull my words and I calls em likes I sees em.

In this case, you said you presumed everyone was telling a lie. I find that statement on face value to be very odd and disengenous, irregardless of your comments on any other story.

I quoted your own words to back it up.

You called 4 people a liar based on the fact that you did not agree with them and that is a cowards argument and I called you on it. Please refrain from trying to deflect so not to address your failure.

woodlingwho 4 years, 1 month ago

Private curbside recycling is now available, it's easy, convenient and inexpensive. I don't burden the public (read community) with tons of crap or packaging, or throw away recyling (read raw materials) that could be beneficially used to create more crap and packaging for those of you who keep needing to buy it. Oh, by the way, trash costs money = tipping fee, recycling can be sold.....go figure. Oh, and recylcling creates JOBS...what else do you need to know?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 1 month ago

I Value America:

I'm not going to get baited into a fight with you. I understand that you don't like how I think about some things, but no matter how sarcastic you get, I will only engage you with common sense and logic.

My statement above was an observation: if so many people REALLY care, why don't we see more evidence of it.

I'd have to be even more dumb than you think me to be to not realize that your sarcasm is really about comments on a different topic, and not because you feel the need to defend these four people against a "bigot" like me.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Long time no see, Azure. Still in the Childcare business?

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Good idea, consumer1. It couldn't make the river any filthier than it already is. I'm hoping someday the river will catch on fire, like the Cuyahoga River in Ohio did some years ago.

Azure_Attitude 4 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, and I'm think' about calling Chris Skaffe (sp?) up to start doing that.

Gootsie 4 years, 1 month ago

I do! I pay $15/month for weekly pickup (Tree Huggers). They are always there, and are kind enough to put the containers back by the garage door instead of leaving them at the curb. I am more than happy to do this to help keep landfills a little less full.

ivalueamerica 4 years, 1 month ago

OldEnuf, that is an interesting way to approach a discussion.

Just presume that anyone who does not agree with you is telling a lie and actualy the secretly agree with you.

Rich, very rich...thanks...it made my day

"OldEnuf2BYurDad (anonymous) says... I think all four of these people lied for the sake of their reputations."

macon47 4 years, 1 month ago

so many places in town have recycling availalbe

i know some folks have more money than brains and are willing to pay any of the many curbside services

however i defy anyone but the sick and elderly that thinks they are too busy to drop off their recycleables and various locations all over town as they run thier errands it might take you 5 mintues extra geez louise, get off your butts and get a real life

if the merc was really what it claims to be it would jump on this, but then never mind

Mary Darst 4 years, 1 month ago

Spacehog...that was just nasty!

consumer1 4 years, 1 month ago

I take mine down to the bridge and throw it all in the river, but if anyone wants it they can jump in and get it.

notjustyoureverydayaveragetrol 4 years, 1 month ago

No, besides what most people don't realize is that most of what you recycle these days just ends up in the landfill anyways. When these local companys can't find buyers for your garbage what do you think happens? Get a clue people.

craigers 4 years, 1 month ago

Deffenbaugh is doing this now and it is $4.95 a month, no sorting, cart included, and they will pick it up on the same day your normal trash is done. I'm going to actually sign up!!

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm with RI. I burn piles of old tires and styrofoam in my yard. Not very artsy, but it smells good.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Defintely a question for the Merc. Haven't they asked this before? I say again, emphatically, I hate recycling. I sort of do it. Just look at my lawn sometimes. All those whiskey, ammonia, and lantern fuel bottles, and boxes of pseudoephedrine will melt into the grass sooner or later. But I still throw my McDonalds bags out the car window. It's paper, just like trees.

spacehog 4 years, 1 month ago

Sob, Sob,"LEAVE TIGER ALONE!!". Sob, Sob. Christ, every time I caught my dad a-cheatin' he slammed me up against a wall and said "Look, bitch. You say one word about this to your mom and I'll break your nose again!" He would have been a great boxing manager if he wasn't so drunk all the time.

JKBagby 4 years, 1 month ago

Man I pay 65 bucks a year for a private recycling service to pick up all my beer bottles once a month and i think those guys are awesome!

alm77 4 years, 1 month ago

I am really surprised by the number of people who are unfamiliar with our curbside recyclers. It's constantly in the paper and they drive their trucks with their logos emblazoned on the side all over town.

Yes, I would and I do. Every week my recycling is at the curb ready to be picked up by Sunflower Curbside Recycling. kansasrecycles.com

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 1 month ago

On a completely different note:

Does anyone else find it disturbing that the Acai Berry Diet ads have a fairly sizzlin' girl in the "before" ad? So... that "before" ad is an example of obese America? "Oh, my... she appears to have a measurable amount of body fat!!" No wonder we have so many teenage girls purging in the toilet. Geez...

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 1 month ago

I think all four of these people lied for the sake of their reputations. I'm sure if the stats exist, they would show that 4 of 4 people do not really care about recycling. If 2 of 4 people actually cared, there would never be a trash can in a public place without a recycling can immediately next to it.

Love the green response from the car dealer! No mixed motives in THAT response.

cosmos 4 years, 1 month ago

Violet - It's actually the question that implies there is no such service. Looking for headlines.

CWGOKU 4 years, 1 month ago

I dump my trash at Andini's house

rodentgirl16 4 years, 1 month ago

I already pay for one. It's $12 a month for biweekly service and they take almost everything. The time and gas I'd spend driving across town in either direction makes it totally worth it, in my opinion.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 1 month ago

Nope, I will keep burning it. If the fire hot enough the glass makes cool stuff you can sell as art.

macon47 4 years, 1 month ago

notice this was asked at hyvee where numerous recycling bins are already in place

BABBOY 4 years, 1 month ago

I had to think about this one.

My initial reaction was no way.

But, I might if it was easy and not that expensive or required much effort

autie 4 years, 1 month ago

Looks to me like we might get a little rain down here today. There is a small chance of some mixed frozen precipitation over the weekend. I think is will be a good weekend to make some home made flat bread and curried something. oh, private what on my curbside? I don't think so.

dajudge 4 years, 1 month ago

All of my trash is another man's treasure.

Kontum1972 4 years, 1 month ago

will this be from------> STIMULUS $$$$$$$$'s...?

if not......! then i will take it myself.... i am paying way too much on my trash bill....dont need an increase

Flap Doodle 4 years, 1 month ago

I'll sell you my trash for $20 a pound.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 1 month ago

many cities have sorting facilities at the landfill. It also seems like we have an abundance of unskilled workers lounging around town who might be specialists at sifting through trash.

consumer1 4 years, 1 month ago

no, No,Nooooo, no... Do you get it?

consumer1 4 years, 1 month ago

no, No,Nooooo, no... Do you get it?

HOMETOWNBOY 4 years, 1 month ago

Let me see...pay someone to come pickup stuff I do not want anymore. Items that in many cases can be sold. I think I need to start a new business!

macon47 4 years, 1 month ago

if the city wants to add services, they should find a service that is not already provided to residents by private businesses. how can they improve on what already is offerered ?

Violet 4 years, 1 month ago

I love how all these comments assume that there is no such service...there are several in town that do a nice job. We recently switched from a private service and now take our recycling to New York School where they provide a very efficient (no sorting!) receptacle and a portion of the $ from what is recycled goes back to the school. I think that these are placed at many area schools with the same program.