Previous   Next

Would you be willing to pay for a private curbside recycling service?

Asked at Hy-Vee, 3504 W. Clinton Parkway on February 19, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes, I would, because I have a hard time taking stuff to the recycling center … I wouldn’t want to pay an exorbitant amount.”

“Yes, it would be much less trouble than loading the stuff in and out and I’m assuming that it might provide containers … and accept a wide variety of items.”

“Yes, I would. I think it’s a great thing for the environment, as long as it’s made easy for people, and I think it’s well worth it for the community.”

“Absolutely, it would help out with the environment, and it would make it real easy.”

Comments

Violet 4 years, 10 months ago

I love how all these comments assume that there is no such service...there are several in town that do a nice job. We recently switched from a private service and now take our recycling to New York School where they provide a very efficient (no sorting!) receptacle and a portion of the $ from what is recycled goes back to the school. I think that these are placed at many area schools with the same program.

HOMETOWNBOY 4 years, 10 months ago

Let me see...pay someone to come pickup stuff I do not want anymore. Items that in many cases can be sold. I think I need to start a new business!

Stuart Evans 4 years, 10 months ago

many cities have sorting facilities at the landfill. It also seems like we have an abundance of unskilled workers lounging around town who might be specialists at sifting through trash.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 10 months ago

I'll sell you my trash for $20 a pound.

Kontum1972 4 years, 10 months ago

will this be from------> STIMULUS $$$$$$$$'s...?

if not......! then i will take it myself.... i am paying way too much on my trash bill....dont need an increase

dajudge 4 years, 10 months ago

All of my trash is another man's treasure.

Danielle Brunin 4 years, 10 months ago

I already pay for one. It's $12 a month for biweekly service and they take almost everything. The time and gas I'd spend driving across town in either direction makes it totally worth it, in my opinion.

cosmos 4 years, 10 months ago

Violet - It's actually the question that implies there is no such service. Looking for headlines.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

I think all four of these people lied for the sake of their reputations. I'm sure if the stats exist, they would show that 4 of 4 people do not really care about recycling. If 2 of 4 people actually cared, there would never be a trash can in a public place without a recycling can immediately next to it.

Love the green response from the car dealer! No mixed motives in THAT response.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

On a completely different note:

Does anyone else find it disturbing that the Acai Berry Diet ads have a fairly sizzlin' girl in the "before" ad? So... that "before" ad is an example of obese America? "Oh, my... she appears to have a measurable amount of body fat!!" No wonder we have so many teenage girls purging in the toilet. Geez...

alm77 4 years, 10 months ago

I am really surprised by the number of people who are unfamiliar with our curbside recyclers. It's constantly in the paper and they drive their trucks with their logos emblazoned on the side all over town.

Yes, I would and I do. Every week my recycling is at the curb ready to be picked up by Sunflower Curbside Recycling. kansasrecycles.com

JKBagby 4 years, 10 months ago

Man I pay 65 bucks a year for a private recycling service to pick up all my beer bottles once a month and i think those guys are awesome!

craigers 4 years, 10 months ago

Deffenbaugh is doing this now and it is $4.95 a month, no sorting, cart included, and they will pick it up on the same day your normal trash is done. I'm going to actually sign up!!

ivalueamerica 4 years, 10 months ago

OldEnuf, that is an interesting way to approach a discussion.

Just presume that anyone who does not agree with you is telling a lie and actualy the secretly agree with you.

Rich, very rich...thanks...it made my day

"OldEnuf2BYurDad (anonymous) says... I think all four of these people lied for the sake of their reputations."

Linda Aikins 4 years, 10 months ago

I do! I pay $15/month for weekly pickup (Tree Huggers). They are always there, and are kind enough to put the containers back by the garage door instead of leaving them at the curb. I am more than happy to do this to help keep landfills a little less full.

Grundoon Luna 4 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, and I'm think' about calling Chris Skaffe (sp?) up to start doing that.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 10 months ago

I Value America:

I'm not going to get baited into a fight with you. I understand that you don't like how I think about some things, but no matter how sarcastic you get, I will only engage you with common sense and logic.

My statement above was an observation: if so many people REALLY care, why don't we see more evidence of it.

I'd have to be even more dumb than you think me to be to not realize that your sarcasm is really about comments on a different topic, and not because you feel the need to defend these four people against a "bigot" like me.

woodlingwho 4 years, 10 months ago

Private curbside recycling is now available, it's easy, convenient and inexpensive. I don't burden the public (read community) with tons of crap or packaging, or throw away recyling (read raw materials) that could be beneficially used to create more crap and packaging for those of you who keep needing to buy it. Oh, by the way, trash costs money = tipping fee, recycling can be sold.....go figure. Oh, and recylcling creates JOBS...what else do you need to know?

ivalueamerica 4 years, 10 months ago

My comment was exactly as stated, I do not pull my words and I calls em likes I sees em.

In this case, you said you presumed everyone was telling a lie. I find that statement on face value to be very odd and disengenous, irregardless of your comments on any other story.

I quoted your own words to back it up.

You called 4 people a liar based on the fact that you did not agree with them and that is a cowards argument and I called you on it. Please refrain from trying to deflect so not to address your failure.