Previous   Next

What do you think of a plan to reduce the number of nurses in Lawrence schools?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd on February 16, 2010

Browse the archives

“I know that the budget situation is dire. I would hope they could do what they can without closing neighborhood schools.”

“I know how hard they work and how well they do their jobs, but I know it’s hard times, and you can’t get rid of teachers.”

“I think it’s probably a good idea to have a school nurse at each school, in case an emergency arises.”

“I think they should have more than one nurse at each school. One nurse doing the job for all the kids seems kind of overwhelming.”

Comments

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

how many nurses are in lawrence schools right now? they make it sound as if every school has a corp of nurses.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

spacehog, dude, i just sent you a richard marx tape. you should be getting it tomorrow. i think mail from salina to lawrence is one day. two at the most. either way, you should have it by the weekend. THAT should spice up date night w/ the missus! ;)

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

wow... pushes the duplicate richard marx cassette i made for original bob under the couch.... ya try and be nice to people and what thanks do ya get?.....

Kat Christian 5 years, 4 months ago

Might as well they really don't do much. Anytime my guy has gone to the office because he is sick he's never had a nurse look at him. I just think if the schools are in a budget crisis having a nurse is a luxury we can do without. If a child becomes ill call the parents to come get them.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

there was a school nurse here in salina who was taking some of the kids' meds for herself. no lie.

somedude20 5 years, 4 months ago

1029 5 years, 4 months ago

They should either get rid of some of the nurses, or they should let some hospital patients be relocated to the elementary schools. Many of those nurses just sit around all day and a lot of the elementary schools have unused closet space that could be converted.

When I was a kid, there were no nurses in the schools, but there was a widely held belief that it was acceptable to let the weaker kids die off so as to conserve resources for the stronger kids, the future leaders of tomorrow.

Mary Darst 5 years, 4 months ago

In our school the amount of drugs in the nurses and sec. office looks like a drug store. If nothing else, someone with some kind of medical knowledge need to be in the building. Our school nurse works her ass off. She is at four schools spread out over the week. The nurses do a lot of evaluating needs of children who don't get those opportunities else where. I don't think that all schools need a full time nurse, but they do need one. Just another cut that doesn't support our students. As far as who ever up there said, we needed to teach better, so kids could get a job. I can tell you that our school is working hard on getting everyone educated, We are doing above and beyond!!!! Our teachers are working many, many hours above what they are paid for. Seemingly, with little support from the state. We can't as a nation educate our kids with-out support.

somedude20 5 years, 4 months ago

I love to strip that bacon if that is what you are asking. Cant believe the LJW censored my post for a harmless quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I heard that you were feeling ill. Headache, fever, and a chill. I came to help restore your......(don't wanna drop the pluck word)

You are right as that was sooooooooo abominable that we ( as a team) should stricken that EVIL vile from the entire internet because you have shown me the way or I may decide to read a more in-depth publication like, Mad Magazine or Heavy Hangers

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

@ spacehog... dylan has been here 2 or 3 times. and yes, he played the bicentennial center. but check out the list of folks who are playing the jimi hendrix tribute concert here next month-- at the steifel theatre:

The Salina performance will include guitar and music heavy weights such as Joe Satriani, Jonny Lang, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Brad Whitford (of Aerosmith), Sacred Steel featuring Robert Randolph, Susan Tedeschi, Doyle Bramhall II, Ernie Isley, Living Colour, Double Trouble's Chris Layton, along with bassist Billy Cox.

Richard Heckler 5 years, 4 months ago

Do this instead:

Save Our Neighborhood Schools has identified cost savings of over $5.5 million. There are many ways to bridge the budget gap and these are just a few suggestions. We hope the board considers cost savings that protect students, teachers, schools and neighborhoods.

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

my boyfriend was really excited when he saw billy cox and also ernie isley-- both two of his inspirations. :)

i'm going to try to send my 15 year old son to the show so he can see all of those performers. my son plays guitar and bass and i know he'd love to see those legends. he's not the usual 15 year old who listens to little wayne... he likes the stuff we listen to around the house, which is pretty varied but is mostly funk, blues, rock and soul.

somedude20 5 years, 4 months ago

they will get ya space. Either by copyright or some uptight a-hole who takes that as sexual innuendo. Never mind that they have a"stripper" blogging about coke (the good stuff), being drunk, prostituting, straddling, deodorant covered boobs, a giant commercial for a line of work that commonly takes advantage of women and sexual abuse, beating people up, simulating sex.......

But god forbid I post a harmless quote from a pg-13 movie. I guess that my quote will not attrack as many "readers" "viewers" "daydreaming old men" as the chronicles of stripper will and that is good for ther business. Since the LJW seems to be having a hard time getting news/facts about a hammer assault/ hit and run that happened a few days ago maybe they should stop patrolling their website so much and patroll the streets

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 4 months ago

you lost me, some dude.... what are you talking about?