Previous   Next

What do you think of a plan to reduce the number of nurses in Lawrence schools?

Asked at Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd on February 16, 2010

Browse the archives

“I know that the budget situation is dire. I would hope they could do what they can without closing neighborhood schools.”

“I know how hard they work and how well they do their jobs, but I know it’s hard times, and you can’t get rid of teachers.”

“I think it’s probably a good idea to have a school nurse at each school, in case an emergency arises.”

“I think they should have more than one nurse at each school. One nurse doing the job for all the kids seems kind of overwhelming.”

Comments

demonfury 4 years, 2 months ago

Most of this entire thread is useless due to idiots using it talk about everything but the question at hand. The answer is simple, and the state just made the first move at fixing the problem. Pay cuts across the board is a necessary first step. Start with a 5% cut in every administration position statewide. Not just school administrators, ALL salaried state employees. This saves jobs and the elected decision makers know it. They just don't want to risk losing votes by doing the right thing. It's easier to stomach losing a few votes from a few job losses, but thousands of votes lost over several thousand job cuts risks re-election prospects. Self preservation is the name of the political game. Ask our criminal president if spending my tax dollars to buy Nebraska's vote on healthcare isn't all about self preservation. Great role model for such behavior huh? By in large, Kansas is still a Republican state, and living within our means is the route to take.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 2 months ago

you lost me, some dude.... what are you talking about?

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

they will get ya space. Either by copyright or some uptight a-hole who takes that as sexual innuendo. Never mind that they have a"stripper" blogging about coke (the good stuff), being drunk, prostituting, straddling, deodorant covered boobs, a giant commercial for a line of work that commonly takes advantage of women and sexual abuse, beating people up, simulating sex.......

But god forbid I post a harmless quote from a pg-13 movie. I guess that my quote will not attrack as many "readers" "viewers" "daydreaming old men" as the chronicles of stripper will and that is good for ther business. Since the LJW seems to be having a hard time getting news/facts about a hammer assault/ hit and run that happened a few days ago maybe they should stop patrolling their website so much and patroll the streets

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 2 months ago

my boyfriend was really excited when he saw billy cox and also ernie isley-- both two of his inspirations. :)

i'm going to try to send my 15 year old son to the show so he can see all of those performers. my son plays guitar and bass and i know he'd love to see those legends. he's not the usual 15 year old who listens to little wayne... he likes the stuff we listen to around the house, which is pretty varied but is mostly funk, blues, rock and soul.

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

I'm feelin' ya, somedude20, I think. What's going on with all the uptight censorship? Has Spacehog outgrown his legend. I can't believe that Daddy Warbucks would know anything about Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Maybe it's a copyright thing. So if I make a "Pants on the Ground" reference, will my comment be removed. Guess we'll find out soon enough........

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

Damn, Mel. That's gonna be a stone groove! I'd try to go if I wasn't broke. Billy Cox?! Bless his soul, I didn't know where that cat has been all these years. Bob must like it there. We tend to get a little arrogant over on the east side here but if Bob digs Salina, I'm there!

Richard Heckler 4 years, 2 months ago

Do this instead:

Save Our Neighborhood Schools has identified cost savings of over $5.5 million. There are many ways to bridge the budget gap and these are just a few suggestions. We hope the board considers cost savings that protect students, teachers, schools and neighborhoods.

couranna1 4 years, 2 months ago

keep at least one teacher at each school and cut the admin payroll

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

Prospector is conducting intel recon up north for the upcoming harp seal season. Some new potential clubbing grounds. or ice floes whatever the case may be.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 2 months ago

@ spacehog... dylan has been here 2 or 3 times. and yes, he played the bicentennial center. but check out the list of folks who are playing the jimi hendrix tribute concert here next month-- at the steifel theatre:

The Salina performance will include guitar and music heavy weights such as Joe Satriani, Jonny Lang, Eric Johnson, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Brad Whitford (of Aerosmith), Sacred Steel featuring Robert Randolph, Susan Tedeschi, Doyle Bramhall II, Ernie Isley, Living Colour, Double Trouble's Chris Layton, along with bassist Billy Cox.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

Where is prospector? Trotting around just west of Nefteyugansk?

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

I love to strip that bacon if that is what you are asking. Cant believe the LJW censored my post for a harmless quote from Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

I heard that you were feeling ill. Headache, fever, and a chill. I came to help restore your......(don't wanna drop the pluck word)

You are right as that was sooooooooo abominable that we ( as a team) should stricken that EVIL vile from the entire internet because you have shown me the way or I may decide to read a more in-depth publication like, Mad Magazine or Heavy Hangers

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

Marion writes: “I have some interest in preservation of what might be called the “White culture.”

It's cool, Marion. To each his own. But personally, I'm down with the swirl big time. "No matta what cala you- yellow, black, pink, orange, maroon. One race, brah- The Human." - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey, somedude20, do you like bacon strips, too? I'm thinking that might be the problem.......

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh, I just love Michael Bubbly. And Michael Bolton. They both kind of turn me on.

CWGOKU 4 years, 2 months ago

"I never like The GodFather. Nope, never did. It insisted upon itself."

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 2 months ago

Elephants are special too. And they like pie.

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

Mel, I should have visited you in Salina,. I could kick myself. Bob Dylan played there last fall, but I didn't want to make the drive, and he never came to KC, which is unusual. I'm thinking he played the Bi-Centennial Arena? When I found out later that Charlie Sexton was playing with him again, I would have crawled there on my belly AND visited you.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

"John Mayer has been #1 for a long time and probably will be for a while. Nothing annoys me quite as much as a contrived, white-boy, Jewish “blues player” whose rich parents sent him to the Berklee School of Music to “learn” to play the blues."

Preach on, Brother Spacehog. Preach on.

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

If I spray painted that dinosaur, I would have said something a lot cooler than "Shout Peace". How hippie-anarchist lame and boring...........

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

Richard Marx is probably in my top 10 list of guys I wanna beat the crap out of. John Mayer has been #1 for a long time and probably will be for a while. Nothing annoys me quite as much as a contrived, white-boy, Jewish "blues player" whose rich parents sent him to the Berklee School of Music to "learn" to play the blues. I don't mind his recent racial slur. I saw that coming a lot time ago. He's just soooo witty and smart, I knew he was gonna step in a deep hole pretty soon. Hey John, don't plan on getting onstage with Buddy Guy or any real blues players any time soon. You'll just have to hang out with Eric Clapton. Get in the ring, MF!!

CWGOKU 4 years, 2 months ago

I saw the movie The Candy Stripers, loved it.

CWGOKU 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey Space, did you spray paint the new hotel?

Mary Darst 4 years, 2 months ago

In our school the amount of drugs in the nurses and sec. office looks like a drug store. If nothing else, someone with some kind of medical knowledge need to be in the building. Our school nurse works her ass off. She is at four schools spread out over the week. The nurses do a lot of evaluating needs of children who don't get those opportunities else where. I don't think that all schools need a full time nurse, but they do need one. Just another cut that doesn't support our students. As far as who ever up there said, we needed to teach better, so kids could get a job. I can tell you that our school is working hard on getting everyone educated, We are doing above and beyond!!!! Our teachers are working many, many hours above what they are paid for. Seemingly, with little support from the state. We can't as a nation educate our kids with-out support.

1029 4 years, 2 months ago

They should either get rid of some of the nurses, or they should let some hospital patients be relocated to the elementary schools. Many of those nurses just sit around all day and a lot of the elementary schools have unused closet space that could be converted.

When I was a kid, there were no nurses in the schools, but there was a widely held belief that it was acceptable to let the weaker kids die off so as to conserve resources for the stronger kids, the future leaders of tomorrow.

somedude20 4 years, 2 months ago

BABBOY 4 years, 2 months ago

I think it sucks.

I think the whole lets save money by cutting the budget for the schools is BS.

I think that the fact that this cheap state refuses to fund the Schools is complete BS.

I think I sometimes I want to pound people in the face with my fist who disagree with me on this issue because it is so important but somehow restrain my self because even stupid people and tight wads are entitled to their silly opinions.

I think the only reason I stay in this stupid flipping state is my job and my family but that is another issue.....

I think it is total flipping BS that people think it is ok not strip schools so as to save money short term and are clueless that they are costing us money in long term by having a school system that produces stupid people who do not work or otherwise contribute to society.

I think that anyone that supports education cuts needs to keep their flipping mouth shut on complaints about Welfare or SRS or crime or any of the other problems caused by the crappy education in the current public school systems across this nation.........

But, other then that, I really do not have opinion on the issue

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 2 months ago

there was a school nurse here in salina who was taking some of the kids' meds for herself. no lie.

Kat Christian 4 years, 2 months ago

Might as well they really don't do much. Anytime my guy has gone to the office because he is sick he's never had a nurse look at him. I just think if the schools are in a budget crisis having a nurse is a luxury we can do without. If a child becomes ill call the parents to come get them.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, Mel. Thanks for the thought.

Question... the grave stomping Marion blog is back on the front page. Link doesn't work, but the comments have increased from 1068 to 1070 to 1075 this morning. Do we have ghosts?

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 2 months ago

wow... pushes the duplicate richard marx cassette i made for original bob under the couch.... ya try and be nice to people and what thanks do ya get?.....

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

"But I refuse to listen to Dan Fogelberg, Jackson Brown, Billy Joel, Seals and Croft, England Dan and John Ford Coley, Ambrosia, or that guy who sang “Sometimes When We touch”. "

70s FM soft rock should die. I hate that stuff more than rap.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 2 months ago

spacehog, dude, i just sent you a richard marx tape. you should be getting it tomorrow. i think mail from salina to lawrence is one day. two at the most. either way, you should have it by the weekend. THAT should spice up date night w/ the missus! ;)

spacehog 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, I guess I'm not wanted today. Jeez, I didn't even cuss or say anything dirty. Fine. Censor me. But I refuse to listen to Dan Fogelberg, Jackson Brown, Billy Joel, Seals and Croft, England Dan and John Ford Coley, Ambrosia, or that guy who sang "Sometimes When We touch". If this is becoming a seriuos, intellectual page, I'll go take a leak somewhere else. Good Day!!

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

and now it is OK....hmm? minor hickup boys?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 4 years, 2 months ago

I never truly ever really enjoyed the music of Dan Fogelberg, It is just one of those things you put up with, because you are waiting for another song to start playing on the radio. But I could really do without it.

Just an observation.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

"And what is the deal with blogs listed in the most discussed and all you get is page not found? "

Saw that. Probably something related to the grave stomping Marion blog.

Mel Briscoe 4 years, 2 months ago

how many nurses are in lawrence schools right now? they make it sound as if every school has a corp of nurses.

autie 4 years, 2 months ago

What I think is that we cannot continue with such weak guard play. The Morris twins can't bail us out every game. If Sherron is down, one of the other guards needs to step it up and make some plays. That did not happen last night. And what is the deal with blogs listed in the most discussed and all you get is page not found? Come in, over.

The_Original_Bob 4 years, 2 months ago

Damn. I didn't get here early enough to read Early Morning with Spacehog.

Paul R Getto 4 years, 2 months ago

This is called 'peeling the onion' which the legislature wants to see done. The popular myth that cutting middle management will save the schools is just that. As this slow-motion manufactured crisis continues, nurses, social workers, counselors, librarians and other 'support' personnel will see their numbers shrink. The law only requires basic instruction at least K-8, so, at some point, only teachers of essential classes and some token leadership at the building level will be left. Many want comprehensive schools, but it appears few want to pay for them.