Previous   Next

Would you like to see the local anti-smoking ordinance overturned?

Asked at Wayne and Larry's Sports Bar, 933 Iowa on February 10, 2010

Browse the archives

“Yes. I’m a smoker and I would like to go to the bar and have a beer and smoke a cigarette, like the good old days.”

“No, I’m just too used to it now; you don’t go home smelling like smoke.”

“No, it’s good for the community. People that don’t smoke don’t have to breathe it and ruin their health.”

“No, because I don’t like secondhand smoke.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 5 years, 2 months ago

Let 'em smoke, just don't let 'em exhale.

M. Lindeman 5 years, 2 months ago

Tom Hilger 5 years, 2 months ago

Talk about beating a dead horse! Let it go people.

conservativepunker 5 years, 2 months ago

No, because it's a good thing to go see a band, not come home stinking of smoke, coughing up lung oysters and not having a sore throat the next day.

IslandContributor 5 years, 2 months ago

In theory if you beat a dead horse long enough you can reduce second hand smoke to the original first hand smoke and then ultimately stop smoking before anyone ever had the chance to smoke, which in turn changes the smoking horse to an unlit cigarette...you follow?

BrianR 5 years, 2 months ago

"...beating a dead horse!"

Did the horse smoke cigarettes?

IslandContributor 5 years, 2 months ago

Lets just all agree to stop beating animals is what I was getting at unless of course they smoke cigarettes or k2!

Randall Barnes 5 years, 2 months ago

MANY BARS WOULD STAY NON SMOKING SO LET THE SMOKERS HAVE A CHOICE AND THE NONSMOKERS HAVE A CHOICE..SO ADD A BLOG AFTER ME CRYING ABOUT MY BLOG SO I DON'T HAVE TO GO TO THE COMEDY CLUB TONIGHT

Mary Darst 5 years, 2 months ago

I have always thought it should be up the the owner of the establishment. I don't smoke anymore and can appreciate the statements about coming home and smelling like smoke, but it was my choice to enter that establishment. .

true_patriot 5 years, 2 months ago

Sure let's move backwards, what the hay. As long as we also repeal bans on DDT and Chlordane and cocaine and Thalidomide. Good times!

acg 5 years, 2 months ago

I think it really should be the business owner's decision. I'm a smoker, but either way this issue doesn't affect me anymore. I have three kids so when we go to dinner, I wouldn't sit them in the smoking area anyway, its uncool. Plus an ashtray on the table is gross. In the clubs and bars, I would love to still be able to smoke, but then again, I have three kids so I don't go to clubs and bars anymore, anyway. I hate being a smoker and have tried everything to quit (incuding $250/hour hypnotherapy sessions--what a joke). This is one substance I almost wish they would ban. It's the only product on the market that if used correctly, has a high probability of making you sick or killing you.

tomatogrower 5 years, 2 months ago

rdragon (M. Lindeman) says… Let the business owners decide smoking is or isn't allowed. If they choose to allow smoking and you don't like it, you have the right not to patronize the business. Its that simple.

Should business owners have the right to let people snort up and shoot up in their businesses? Should they be able to allow people to have public sex? Should they be allowed to let people bring in their dogs to pee wherever? No, because all they things would be disgusting to many people. Smoking is disgusting to many people. If you are a smoker, go home and smoke in private, so those of us who are grossed out by your addiction do not have to deal with it. If they overturn the ban, I'm going to start walking into businesses wearing a bikini. I have a 50 something old body with no plastic surgery. I'll just out gross all you smokers. But, hey, that's my right according to you.

salad 5 years, 2 months ago

I hate smoking. All in favor of the ordinance; huge benefit to restaurant diners. But there should be an exemption for bar patrons, I mean....come on! It's a bar, you should be able to smoke if you wanna.

Mariposa 5 years, 2 months ago

Mandie Eutsler 5 years, 2 months ago

Who really cares? Really? There are way too many things to worry about these days. As a smoker, I've learned that it is my habit, and out of courtesy I have to find a proper place to smoke. What's the problem? How hard is that for people? If they want to be fair, we smokers should be able to take our drinks out to the smoking area.

jayk231 5 years, 2 months ago

If places chose to go back to allow smoking I will no longer spend my money there. I encourage everyone that is smoke free to not go to establishments that make that decision. Establishments like that have no respect for their workers health all they care about is making money. i am tired of establishment that don't care that their customers and staff are going to have heart, lung and other health problems as long as they are making money off of them. I have many friends that have quit since the ban and it was very helpful to them seeing the ban removed would be a terrible thing.

labmonkey 5 years, 2 months ago

I lived in Lawrence before the ban, and I hated going out because I would go home smelling like I was in a closet with someone puffing smoke on me. Your eyes would water by the end of the night. Although I am not normally for government intrusion upon small businesses, I think it is beneficial in this case.

As for beating a dead horse.....isn't it much safer to do that than it is to beat a live horse? Wouldn't they throw you in prison for animal cruelty?

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

banning tobacco isn't going to do any good... look how they banned alcholic beverages back in the 20s (and 30s also here in kansas). folks were still getting drunk. all it did was make the bootleggers back then the equivalent to the drug dealers of today.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 2 months ago

100 years ago: Smokers beat by dead horse. Horse was ..... well.... dead

M. Lindeman 5 years, 2 months ago

tomatogrower (Anonymous) says…

rdragon writes:

Tomatogrower, your statement is just stupid. Your comparing apples and oranges (a legal to illegal drug), apples to grapes and so on. I never claimed to be a smoker, I just feal it is the business owners choice. Let us remember that when smoking was allowed it didn't stop the non-smokers going to those bars.

gl0ck0wn3r 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes. Let people make their own choices.

Ricky_Vaughn 5 years, 2 months ago

When it comes to universal health care...everyone screams "freedom of choice". When it comes to smoking bans...everyone screams "ban smoking". I smell hypocrisy...

darkagent 5 years, 2 months ago

consumer1 are you talking about the first Bozo interviewed at wanye and larrys? He did make the dgso site

Mel Briscoe 5 years, 2 months ago

^^^ hell, i'm not even a smoker and i'm right there w/ you, spacehog! topeeky rocks!

kneejerkreaction 5 years, 2 months ago

Mariposa (Anonymous) says… This is really overreacting. Smoking is not gross. Watch films from the 40's, 50's, and 60's with Frank Sinatra, Clark Gable, Elizabeth Taylor or Marilyn Monroe smoking. Were they gross? No.

Clark had horrendous breath, according to Vivian Leigh. If you had smelled the early morning butt breath of any of these glamorous stars after a night of puffing, you'd say "gross". eyeech

kneejerkreaction 5 years, 2 months ago

“Yes. I’m a smoker and I would like to go to the bar and have a beer and smoke a cigarette, like the good old days.” — Joshua Marvin, restaurant trainer, Lawrence

Well I would like to go to the bar, have a beer and NOT smoke a cigarette.

d_prowess 5 years, 2 months ago

The thing that makes this issue hard is that people that go to bars that don't like smoking (probably the majority given polling numbers), also don't hate smoke enough to stop going to bars if the ban was removed. I like going out to some bars in town and LOVE that I don't have to breathe in the smoke. However, if they allowed smoking again, I would still go out to the bars. I just wouldn't enjoy it as much later in the night or the next day. Now maybe I would go slightly less often and might not just pop into a downtown place for a single drink since I wouldn't want to deal with smelling like smoke. But overall, those small changes in behavior aren't going to make a business to decide to remain smoke-free.

denak 5 years, 2 months ago

I am firmly in the "no" category.

It has been shown that there is a 25% reduction in heart attacks in places where a smoking ban is in place. That alone shows how beneficial the bans are.

On a more personal note, I am very smoke sensitive. It has been such a joy to actually go into a restaurant in the last few years and not leave with a headache. Not to mention that I have only had to wait for a table once since the ban.

Dena:0)

jayhawklawrence 5 years, 2 months ago

I think the bar owners are pushing this more than anything because they have seen their revenues tank from smoking ordinances and the drunk driving laws.

The old days are over and that's a good thing.

Our nation's health is the bigger issue and how we start to to take better care of ourselves. We cannot afford our health care system.

SLOPOKE 5 years, 2 months ago

YES !! The notion or decission of passing no smoking laws in public places,local gov. and Fed. bldgs.,was only considered half way.I love it when the pro's have to walk thru a group of smokers, standing in the front door, all smoking and enjoying them selves.The con's are going to smoke WHEN THEY WISH TO SMOKE...Speaking of the con's. I don't think any body thought about the cost of extra Security, to enforce this law in our State and Fed. Bldg's,like our Prison system's alone. Tobbaco, is more expensisive than Herion, and other Drug's in these State and Fed. Bldg's.A carton of cigarettes cost appx. (1000.00). Is it really worth the $ to hire more Securty, Salary per officer,Health Ins., retierment....Think of the $ for Medical Bill's from the deal's gone bad, and the fund's these Gang's make to strengthen there attack on YOU the one's that VOTED (NO) I know the ? was Local, But we can't forget the Big picture...PEACE TO ALL...